Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Thing of Many Names...

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

This rose, according to Jeri and others, has been found all over California. It now exists in various public rose gardens under about 15 study names! No kidding - every time it was found it got a new name. They have looked carefully at most of them, and decided it is all this one rose. No identification yet. So, now it is being called the "Thing of Many Names".

I took this picture of mine today. It is a rooted cutting from one I found a block from my house growing in the garden of a house built c. 1900. The lady who lives there has lived there for 60 years, and says it was there when she moved in.

Very fragrant, and blooms all Summer. Mine is only about 4 years old. Here is a pic:

Jackie

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It is also a Thing of Much Beauty!

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree. Jeri says that in her coastal cool humid climate it gets BS, but here where it is warmer and dryer it just gets a little bit, and only at the end of the season - look how clean it is, and I have never sprayed it (except with that rotten egg stuff to keep the deer from eating it).

Jackie

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Looks like a beautiful rose. I love the mystery roses.

If it ever suckers, I'd love one.

Diane

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I have at least four roses in my garden with different names that I think are La Reine.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Here, The Thing Of Many Names rusts, blackspots, AND mildews. But it is truly lovely where it is happy -- and it is clearly tough as nails.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

A real survivor, and one that deserves to live on for its beauty. Love those swirled blooms, and it looks fragrant.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Jackie! I think La Reine has masqueraded herself all over. I also think I've finally put an identity to Crestline Mulberry, which I will start a new thread to share so I don't hijack yours. Kim

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pam and Kim - no one had ever suggested 'La Reine' might be my rose. It does look a lot more like LR than Geant de Batailles, another suggestion. The color of GdB is WAY darker than my rose has ever shown - it matches the color of LR as far as I can tell from pics. Also the fat spherical buds of LR match the ones on my rose perfectly. It is of course possible that my rose is NOT exactly the same as the 15 other found mystery roses, but is actually La Reine, and they are all something else. All appear to be HPs from the middle of the 19th century, in similar tones of pink, so who knows? I'm sure there are other possibilities. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jackie

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Jackie. I think because of the distribution La Reine enjoyed; the popularity of the name; durability of the cultivar, how easily it's propagated, how vigorously it can sucker, and the scent and beauty, it's a very good bet the lion's share of the similar found roses are La Reine. I sent both La Reine and Crestline to Malcolm Manners in hopes it might be tested. (fingers crossed!) Kim

• regina_nv
    9 years ago

I grow McCarthy Plot, one of the versions of the Rose of Many Names. I think it is way too big a plant to be La Reine - I'd have to go out in the daylight and measure but I am thinking a good six feet tall and may get bigger yet in time..

This post was edited by regina_nv on Tue, May 6, 14 at 1:39

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The Rose Of Many Names is NOT 'La Reine.'

I'll give you Crestline Mulberry, De la Vina Mystery, and even Barbara's Pasture Rose (though it's size and habit are WAY different) but NOT TROMN!

Here is "Bud Jones" (one of its many names) . . . And I can tell you, they are nothing like. Not in habit, not in foliage. Not in bloom form.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

OOPS! No, that is "Gilbert Plot" (which looks just like "Bud Jones," et al).

Here is "Huckins Plot" (note, sporting to light pink -- this is something we've not observed before).

All same-same (but for the sport) -- note that the color is extremely variable. But this ain't 'La Reine' or even "Like-La Reine.'

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville