Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Another rose id question please, beautiful pink cascading roses

vettin
9 years ago

This was posted in the name that rose forum but it does not get much traffic. Not typically my kind of rose, I prefer the hybrid tea shape, but the multude of blooms is arresting. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cascading pink blooms

Comments (21)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

That "multitude of blooms" is something commonly found among once-blooming ramblers and old garden roses, and also among their repeat-blooming descendants with pronounced bloom-stop-bloom cycles. If you like that look, check out Vintage Gardens' website, looking up ramblers, and cross-referencing on HelpMeFind. Just throwing out a couple of guesses, the first two which came to my mind were 'Laure Davoust' and 'Tea Rambler'. But it's hard to say from just that one picture, and there are many others which might also be contenders.

:-)

~Christopher

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

This like Christopher said is either Laure Davoust or Climbing Cecile Brunner. LD is a Rambler and Cecile a climbing polyantha. They are both gigantic.
    This is not Tea Rambler, which is a stronger pink and looks different. Are you looking for roses that have a similar habit that don't take up acres of space?

• User
    9 years ago

Cecile's foliage is much more matte and of polyantha/tea style, whereas the rose in your photo shows glossier, wichurana-type leaves, so you can easily eliminate Cecile as a potential candidate for ID.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

How large is the rose? Might it be either The Fairy or the climbing version of The Fairy? The Fairy is a polyantha rose that I believe has a wichuraiana parent. The blooms are a good match for yours and if the leaves are glossy on your rose, they would match, too. The Fairy has THORNS on the canes below the sprays of flowering stems. Carol

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

The blooms resemble my The Fairy, but I certainly don't see enough thorns on it. Mine is vicious. I always look like I have been in a cat fight anytime I walk near it.

• porkpal zone 9 Tx
    9 years ago

I have The Fairy and the climbing version, and their pattern of blooms is quite different than the mystery rose. The way her blooms fall in a loose spray strikes me as unusual. She is definitely not Kathleen, but that is the only rose that I have who blooms in that sort of pattern.

• vettin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prairie moon added more photos (original link in first post above). From prairie moons post I came across this post and wondering if it is in fact climbing fairy since it references lavender that it is hanging over (is that lavender?) unfortunately the link to the original album is not working

Here is a link that might be useful: Swamprose garden.

• porkpal zone 9 Tx
    9 years ago

The foliage does not look like The Fairy Cl which is small, shiny, darker green, and tightly spaced - at least on my plants.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Hi, I can post the additional photos here.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

This photo of different roses in this garden was posted and the names of the roses were given as wellâ¦

Elisio,Lavender Lassie,OttoLinne,OctaviaHill

I was wondering if anyone would know if any of these roses are the one that is on the arbor?

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

Hi, Vettin,

My guess is that it is Lavender Lassie of the four choices. There are some nice pictures of it used as a climber on hmf. I think it is a beautiful rose.

Octavia Hill is a floribunda, so not a tall rose.

Gartendirektor Otto Linne is a shrub of about 4 feet tall. I don't know Elisio, but it doesn't have enough petals, I don't think. That leaves Lavender Lassie, the top right rose. It can go to 12 feet, according to helpmefind.
    Gean

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

It looks like Blushing Lucy.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Well, I don't know. I looked at both those roses on Help Me Find and I guess it could be. Maybe there was something about the way this GW member grew this rose or pruned it that gave it a little different look to it. And the color of the rose on the arbor seems a little coral to me, but that could just be the camera or the light.

Thanks for the help. :-)

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

It looks like we ruled out The Fairy, but I snapped a pic of my The Fairy rose this weekend...so I thought I'd post it.

{{gwi:270037}}

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Vettin, yes that looks like lavender under your rose. Lisa attached a nice photo of The Fairy. I'm not giving a positive ID, but I still see a very strong resemblance between your rose and The Fairy (climber). If I were a gambler, I might bet on it...if your rose is thorny. Carol

• vettin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. And thank you for the photo. Not my rose so I cannot go check, but I do agree that the Fairy climber is the closest I have seen.

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Looks like maybe Lavender Lassie, which really seems to be pink, rather than lavender. It grows beautifully over an arc.

This post was edited by Mountie on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 16:27

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Looks like Dorothy Perkins. LL and CB have pale pink flowers.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Yes: normally one like this would be an example of the Walsh ramblers of which 'Dorothy Perkins' is a familiar representative. These are common and repeatedly asked about.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

When I saw the last picture you posted of the mystery, my brain recognized it, but my memory refused to cough up the name - very frustrating. When others suggested Dorothy Perkins, that was the name I was trying to remember! So, I am another vote for Dorothy Perkins. That color pink is unusual, and the growth is perfect.

Jackie

• jerijen
    9 years ago

And it's not all covered with mildew, as it would be here!

Jeri

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz