Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

In praise of Alister Stella Gray

rosefolly
11 years ago

I really, really like this rose. I moved other plants away to give it all the room it needs. Yes, the yellow quickly fades to creamy white, but I just consider it a creamy white rose.

Here is a shot of the entire plant up against the fence:

{{gwi:270137}}

And here is a closeup of the bloom cluster:

{{gwi:270138}}

Rosefolly

Comments (19)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Lovely, Rosefolly.

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Yeah, I can see she likes you, too! Pretty colors. How old is she, own-root or grafted? I like your fence for climbing roses.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Own root. I think three years old, well, three and a half. It took off running the moment it hit the ground.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I admired it growing so beautifully down on the fence. I agree that it is a wonderful rose.

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mendocino Rose, you grow it, too, don't you?

I was prompted to post the picture after mentioning it on the thread about William Allen Richardson, which formerly grew in this space. WAR was a fine rose, but I like this one better.

Rosefolly

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    11 years ago

I totally agree, Rosefolly, and was inspired to take these photos this morning. Here, Alister Stella Gray is, hands down, the most reliable, easy to get along with, climbing rose ever, and is pretty much always in bloom. This one is about 7 or 8 years old, on its own roots, roughly 8' x 8' in size, and has required very little work on my part (in contrast with every other climber in the yard -- I love them, but they are work). It came from Vintage (you can see their little tag to the left of the trunk in the last picture!).

{{gwi:270139}}

{{gwi:270140}}

{{gwi:270142}}

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Catspa, that is so completely lovely! It cheers me up to see what I have to look forward to when my plant grows up. It really is the most rewarding rose, isn't it?

R

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

It was interesting to see rosefolly's cute little rose and then catspa's stunning picture of a mature plant. Now that's a rose worth waiting for a few years to see what it can really do.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Yes, it was a wonderful rose here too. Then it suddenly died of unknown reasons. I miss that one. Enjoy!

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Oh, Catspa, you've done an excellently beautiful job of training ASG. I want to know how you got it to be so nice and bushy and evenly parallel to the fence. I prefer your way to the fountaining way I have mine that leaves nothing but bare legs under the canopy. Please tell how you did that, and is the section to the right of the base just long canes blooming to the ground?

I love your way. I want to redo my Reve d'Or like this. I'm afraid it will require a lot of shortening of canes (yes?) or do you have long canes tied horizontally equidistant to the fence with side-shoots coming off them? I totally don't know how to do climbers!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

11 years ago

Sherry,

I wish I could say this rose's appearance was due to masterful activity on my part, but I can't. In fact, I have never pruned this rose (didn't even go near it this spring, except to throw some alfalfa pellets its way). I did cut out the dead brush in the interior a few years ago and expect I will need to do that again in a few years.

The support consists of two bands of wire that run from fence post to fence post, one at about 3 1/2 feet above the ground, the other at about 5 feet above the ground, to hold the rose, as a whole, against the fence. In the earlier years, I just had a loop of wire around the main canes fastened to the fence at one point (so, I guess the "training" could be that I just let the main canes grow up and supported them), but that broke during a storm, leaving the rose laying on the ground, so I then set up these bands of wire. Yes, the section to the right is an arching cane blooming to the ground.

The clone that it is may have something to do with its obliging nature. Vintage describes their Alister Stella Gray as a less-vigorous, "more demure" version than others.

Debbie

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debbie, what is the source of your rose? Mine is the Vintage clone, so if yours is different, mine may never be as large. I'm fine with it either way. It is lovely as it is, and as you said, requires very little attention.

Rosefolly

11 years ago

Rosefolly, thankfully, mine is the Vintage clone, too. The larger clones, according to the ASG description on Vintage's website, can go to 50' or more. That would be a bit much for me...Debbie

• odinthor
    11 years ago

For those who want something much much much smaller, the Polyantha 'Sunshine' (Robichon, 1927) gives much the same color effect (and has a wonderful rich scent). The pix of 'Sunshine' one will see usually show it at its orangest; but that pales, eventually to a whitish-parchment color, giving a cluster of flowers a pleasing array of shades.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    9 years ago

I live in near Sarasota in Florida and I really love this rose do you think it will be as happy and healthy as yours are in my climate . I know I can mix up the soil to be fast draining and put it on a raised area to give it better drainage but everything I read says it likes dry climates ... am am so over doing my best and still haveibg sad roses so I really would like to know if I can keep this one happy in my climate

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine died suddenly a few months after I posted this picture. Not sure why. Overwatering? Gophers root-pruning? It was in a gopher basket. I have replaced it with the same rose, am watering slightly less. So far, so good.

Folly

• gnabonnand
    9 years ago

Your photos of Alister Stella Gray are really beautiful. Thanks for bringing this rose to our attention.

Randy

9 years ago

The first flush on my ASG this year was even better than last year's. Hardly a leaf could be seen with so many flowers. It is an incredibly reliable, trouble-free rose -- I cut out some dead underbrush during the winter, that's it. I'm glad you replaced yours, Folly, and hope the new one thrives.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

It's such a wonderful rose.