fogrose
9 years ago

I'm down with a cold/flu so at least I got a bit of cheer from Vintage:

Here's my confirmed roses-

Waretown Mystery (Hybrid China)
Brenda (Eglantine )
Light Pink Eglantine from SJHRG
Gloire des Polyantha

I had really hoped for some rare Hybrid Perpetuals and a Tea and a Moss. I wish I knew how it's determined as to who gets what because I hit send exactly as the computer clock changed.

Diane

Comments (38)

• BlushingNewbieRose

Hello, all, newbie here:

I was literally weeping at 7:01, when I clicked "send". I got 1/3 of my list, and several from my alternate. I have a couple of questions about some. But first, the list:

1.Vanguard
    2.Paul Transon
    3.Pride of Oakland
    4.Baronne Henriette de Snoy
    5.Padre
    6.Audie Murphy (in honor of my dad)
    7.Break o' Day
    8.Deep Secret
    9.Mendocino Pernetiana

1. Beryl (HT)
    2. Roxburgii normalis
    3. Legacy of Elizabeth Moore

It's a kind of a hodge-podge, and I really should have done more reading, but I didn't have any time (missed the chance at a Forestville). I made the mistake of sentimentalizing in my alternate list--I asked Gregg to try to include something found and hardy from California, as I'd grown up in the Bay Area. Accordingly, he is sending me three I know nothing about (but obviously am thrilled to have): Beryl, Mendocino Pernienta and Legacy of Elizabeth Moore.

I'm now overcome with a sense of terror. What if I kill them? What if he doesn't understand the goofiness of my climate (very occasional freak cold down to about -15ú, occasional spazzy heat, once as bad as 118ú)? What if he's entrusting me with three precious unknowns--never to be grown again unknowns--in the sweet, silly, misguided assumption that I know what the heck I'm doing? I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Please, someone, hold my hand. What does Mendocino Pernienta look like? What are its "habits, tastes, accomplishments?" Thank you in advance!

Erica

• BlushingNewbieRose

Hello, all, newbie here:

I was literally weeping at 7:01, when I clicked "send". I got 1/3 of my list, and several from my alternate. I have a couple of questions about some. But first, the list:

1.Vanguard
    2.Paul Transon
    3.Pride of Oakland
    5.Padre
    7.Break o' Day
    8.Deep Secret
    9.Mendocino Pernetiana

1. Beryl (HT)
    2. Roxburgii normalis

It's a kind of a hodge-podge, and I really should have done more reading, but I didn't have any time (missed the chance at a Forestville). I made the mistake of sentimentalizing in my alternate list--I asked Gregg to try to include something found and hardy from California, as I'd grown up in the Bay Area. Accordingly, he is sending me three I know nothing about (but obviously am thrilled to have): Beryl, Mendocino Pernienta and Legacy of Elizabeth Moore.

I'm now overcome with a sense of terror. What if I kill them? What if he doesn't understand the goofiness of my climate (very occasional freak cold down to about -15ú, occasional spazzy heat, once as bad as 118ú)? What if he's entrusting me with three precious unknowns--never to be grown again unknowns--in the sweet, silly, misguided assumption that I know what the heck I'm doing? I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Please, someone, hold my hand. What does Mendocino Pernienta look like? What are its "habits, tastes, accomplishments?" Thank you in advance!

Erica

• BlushingNewbieRose

Hello, all, newbie here:

1.Vanguard
    2.Paul Transon
    3.Pride of Oakland
    5.Padre
    7.Break o' Day
    8.Deep Secret
    9.Mendocino Pernetiana

1. Beryl (HT)
    2. Roxburgii normalis

Erica

• BlushingNewbieRose

Hello, all, newbie here:

1.Vanguard
    2.Paul Transon
    3.Pride of Oakland
    5.Padre
    7.Break o' Day
    8.Deep Secret
    9.Mendocino Pernetiana

1. Beryl (HT)
    2. Roxburgii normalis

Erica

• rbehs
    9 years ago

I was hoping most for Babe Ruth. I got Hermosa, which is some consolation.

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Diane,

I am happy you got something, and hope you will feel better soon. I actually found an official time site (time.gov), clicked "send" at exactly 7, and still missed out on half my order :(. I bet the reason is there were probably a hundred other orders coming in at that exact time.

I got Goldmoss and Soeur Therese, missed out on Callisto (really wanted that one) and La Sirene.

Masha

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

Tiara
    Moonlight
    Clytemnestra
    Deep Secret
    Honor
    Penelope VI

I'm a HAPPY camper!!! Tiara was one I really wanted

I wanted but didn't get Black Velvet and James Veitch or Callisto.. So who ever got those, please remember us. :)

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by new_garden on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:30

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I'm somewhat bummed out that neither my main selections nor my alternates will be coming. I'll check the next list I guess, but I doubt anything remaining will be of interest to me. I'd really love to know who ended up with Mistress Bosanquet and Caecilie Scharsach. I thought I had a decent shot at the former, but 600+ orders was quite a few.

Jay

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

I am just confused at this point. I placed one order with five roses and a few minutes later placed another order for only one rose. I did not get anything on one order and possibly something on the other. I would assume that I received something on the larger order but????

Congratulations to those of you who will be receiving roses from your order.

Lynn

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    9 years ago

I was stuck at work and missed the 7:00 pm deadline. I am still sulking...

Happy to hear that so many of you will receive your orders if only partially. I had hoped to get Penelope. new_garden: hint, hint!

Diane - I hope you feel better soon!

Jo

• compost_angel
    9 years ago

I whiffed on my first two choices (James Veitch and Gloire de Ducher), but am looking forward to my...

Inspektor Blohm (HM)
    Goheen (S)
    Summer Fields (FL)
    Queen of the Musks (HM)

"Waretown Mystery" was also on my list, just a tad below these. I'm glad to hear it has found a good home!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I missed out on all four I tried ordering -- and I placed my order on the website within a minute of 10pm my time (7pm California time). Oh, well...

So, if anyone here lucked out on any of the following, please speak up. I'd love to be kept in mind in a year or two for cuttings.

Black Velvet
    Liebesglut
    Night 'n' Day
    Papa Meilland VID

In the meantime, I still have a few large planters to fill, so I'll soon be placing my first order with Roses Unlimited to expand my little collection of fragrant dark-red or crimson HTs. To be honest, I'd actually rather start with 1gal plants and pot them right away into the large planters I got ready, rather than nurse along some bands for a year. But I'll likely do that, anyway, for some to put into more containers for next year. And there are plenty I've been eying at RVR and Heirloom for just that purpose.

To everyone who got something they wanted, congrats! And to the people at Vintage Gardens, we'll miss you.

:-)

~Christopher

• User
    9 years ago

I wasn't expecting anything, and I got what I expected--nothing! LOL.

It was fun anyway.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

I got the bad news too. Who got my Queen of Beddars?? That's ok, I am happy that I got the two ramblers I wanted last time. AND, the email mentioned that this wasn't really the very, very final release, so we all get to play this game again in another week or so.

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

Compost angel.. Sign me up for cuttings... Inspektor blohm was on my list.

Thanks!!

• vettin
    9 years ago

How much was shipping (ie what size are these plants)?

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

I got Dr. Debat, Burbank, Deschamps and Alida Lovett. 2 Alida Lovett (how did that happen?) if anyone would like Alida.
    I was DYING for Souer Therese. Glad she went to a good home.
    Christopher you will love RU roses. They are massive compared to bands.
    Susan

• new_garden Tindall
    9 years ago

I'd love Alida if you don't mind parting with her.

Also, dr was on my list to if you are up to rooting later in.

• joshtx
    9 years ago

Got my confirmation order. I asked for:

Mistress Bosqanet
    Alliance Franco-Russe
    Pavillon de Pregny
    Waretown Mystery
    Paul Nabonnand

I am receiving:
    Alliance Franco-Russe
    Pavillon de Pregny

At least I got something. Fog, I am not above begging for cuttings of Waretown when it gets big enough! :)

Josh

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Josh I will trade cuttings of Earl of Eldon for same of Pavillon de Pregny. New Garden email me and we'll sort it out.
    Josh are you at Dango? Need photos!
    Susan

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I am interested in Taischa because of the photos I've seen. It wasn't offered this sale. Pretty please anyone.

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Mauvegirl,

I can certainly send you cuttings but I wouldn't expect it to be a great garden plant. It is difficult to grow own-root in the ground because it lacks vigor (mine is potted, or you can graft it). Flowers have a zillion petals and ball badly when it is wet. When it is dry, the blooms are absolutely gorgeous and fragrant. My plant is several years old and has a rather ungainly growth habit (sparse thick canes sticking out this way and that).

Masha

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Vintage has another last, very last order coming up? Here is hoping for some rare albas, Portlands and Ayreshire ramblers.

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the well wishings about my cold/flu. I feel human again today and am looking forward to the arrival of the new roses.

I managed to take a walk in the garden today and nearly wept. The roses I've nurtured and sweated over are finally at enough maturity to begin putting on a show. I've struggled long and hard and lost a lot of roses that were just not happy in my microclimate.

Josh, I expect Waretown Mystery to sucker. Please keep in touch with me about this. Some people have identified this rose as Petite Renoncule. See the link below.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Waretown Mystery

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Thank you Masha! I will accept your generous offer for a cutting of Taischa.
    Your blog pictures are inspiring. I enjoy every new post & have browsed through past archives. I do not have experience to graft nor have I rooted.
    I can ask my nursery. I have also read about different techniques.
    Per your suggestion, I will baby it in a pot. How do I provide my address? Unaware of forum rules. My email is on my page.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Oh you lucky folks, I hit enter as the computer clock struck the hour and got absolutely nothing..!!..

I hope you can share pics of your lottery wins when they begin to bloom.

• melodyinz8a
    9 years ago

Yay, I got the one rose I ordered. Pink Pearl. Hope I can keep it alive.

• cath41
    9 years ago

I asked for:

Pavillon de Pregny
    Fragrant Cloud VID
    Mistress Bosanquet
    Rose Edouard
    Dr Briere
    Pax
    Wife of Bath
    Queen of Bedders
    Mrs Paul
    Radox Bouquet
    Purezza

Only Pax has been confirmed. I can get Fragrant Cloud and perhaps a few of the others elsewhere but maybe not the VID.

Josh,
    When your roses are large enough to provide cuttings, I would love to have starts of Pavillon de Pregny and Mistress Bosanquet if you can spare them.

Someone said that they wanted climbing Gruss an Aachen. I have had one about 3 years but it has not bloomed. If it did not lose all of its wood this winter, I should be able to spare cuttings.

Cath

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

It is Sunday afternoon - I got no email saying I didn't get anything.......Gregg said he would get the order confirmations sent out by Sunday. Am wondering if anyone else has heard from him today? Since I didn't get the first email saying I got nothing, I feel like I got something.......just getting anxious.
    Judith

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judith, I still think Gregg is overwhelmed. He had told me I'd get a confirmation on Thursday and it didn't arrive til Friday.

Diane

• cath41
    9 years ago

Upon inspection, the climbing Gruss an Aachen is a one inch cane so no cuttings until late Summer at the earliest. Wish I could remember who wanted it.

Cath

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

For those of you who wanted Mistress Bosanquet and didn't get it, I offer this consolation: I adore this rose, but she has a mean disposition. I've worked on her off and on now for several years, in the Sacramento Cemetery Rose Garden, and I always retire bleeding from the encounter!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Erica

Maybe you should email him and see if he thinks they will be okay or if there is one he could switch for something that can better handle the cold

• BlushingNewbieRose
    9 years ago

Kippy,

Thank you, you're right. This is a major project for us--we're reshaping the garden for this as we speak. As anyone in the Western U.S. knows, microclimates rule, and it's essential to know your spread--the frost pockets, the warm hills, the buggy, boggy holes. I think we're almost ready, and I simply can't wait. The goofy temperatures I quoted were extremes I've seen in 30 years living on this road (along with one 60-year flood), but they're freaks--only once in a very long while. We're cherry growers and what hurts roses (climate wise), hurts cherries. We're very mindful of it. Plus, I have access to smudge pots, apple bags, all sorts of tools to alleviate the pain of living in the high desert. I was just panicking. I actually think Gregg spent some time matching his precious orphans with climates, and I spent time refusing to consider anything even vaguely weak.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Sounds like you are prepared. I have thought about seeing if my friends with the larger avo orchards have a spare smudge pot. But when it gets cold nothing is spare :)

I just planted 3 cherries here on the coast and am looking forward to fruit

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Cath, from your list, I have Purezza and Rose Edouard (both from Ashdown) that I'd be happy to send cuttings of once they finish blooming :) Purezza is blooming well now, but RE is still just a lot of exciting buds ready to open.

• raingoaway12
    9 years ago

Wasn't Vintage Gardens to mail orders in two weeks? I thought there going to be a final release of roses this week or next? I would like another chance to try to purchase a rose from their final sale.