Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harborrose_pnw

Mrs. Colville, I presume?

harborrose_pnw
9 years ago

I am used to first blooms on modern roses not being the exact color or shape as described or expected. The first blooms on the rose sold to me as 'Mrs. Colville' a once-blooming spinossisima - instead of dark red are white with a red stain on the petals.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience on the first blooms on spins being different than expected? About five blooms have opened, all like this one.

{{gwi:271369}}

Comments (9)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

My Mrs. Coleville looks similar to yours, Gean. When I received it as a new band in 2013, it produced this flower
    {{gwi:271370}}

Here is a slightly darker flower that opened in early April this year.
    {{gwi:271371}}
    I know that it also had a flower or two that was a bit darker than this one, but I never took a picture of the slightly darker flowers.

I also purchased a Mary Queen of Scotts at the same time as the Mrs. Coleville. It never flowered in 2013, but it did this year. Although it does look like some of the photos on HMF (but not others) I wondered if it was possible for me to have somehow switched their tags when I planted them. My Mrs. Coleville, however, has distinctly pink stamens, which doesn't seem to match any of the photos of Mary Queen of Scots on HMF, so I don't think that I did switch the labels. My Mary Queen of Scots has yellow stamens. Here is Mary Queen of Scots.
    {{gwi:271372}}

I also realize that since I am growing these in a very warm zone, it could certainly affect the color as well.
    Kathy

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Wed, May 14, 14 at 10:10

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathy,
    Thanks for the pictures; they're really interesting. The anthers on your Mrs. Colville sure look larger than the ones on my rose, but maybe it's my picture. The filaments on mine are yellow; I went out to look at it again this evening.

Did your Mrs. Colville set hips last year? I just wondered if the hips are elongated and reddish like the pics I see on hmf. I also have read the wood on Mrs. Colville is reddish-brown; I'm guessing that's on older wood, but I'm not sure.

May I ask where your plants are from? Thanks again, Gean

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Gean, that's not Mrs. Colville, but who is she? She looks almost like the species. It can blush, I believe. I haven't grown many spins so I'm not familiar with all the varieties. Your rose is very pretty...whatever her identity. Carol

• User
    9 years ago

definitely not Mrs Colville - mine are practically magenta. But then again, so many of these burnet roses have been historically sold as NOID or simple single white, single red etc.
    And nope, I have never noticed any change from early to late blooms. The heps should give you a clearer idea since Mrs Colville is a hybrid with R.pendulina and shares the same flagon shaped heps.

9 years ago

It did not set hips last year (it only produced two flowers) so I cannot tell you about the shape and color. Mine has finished blooming for this year, and I know that not all flowers set hips for me (perhaps less than half). I also suspect that it will not ever bloom as heavily in my zone as in a colder zone, but it is still too young to say for sure. A few weeks ago when they were still quite small, I was watching to see how the hips would develop, but I have gotten side tracked with other things lately. The wood on Mrs. Coleville is darker colored - at least in the winter it was. I don't have time right now, but I will try to get some photos of the hips and stems later this afternoon.

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Sat, May 17, 14 at 18:27

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Around here, spinossisma hips disappear with lightening speed. Something apparently considers them a great delicacy, and they go from green to gone almost overnight.

9 years ago

Here are the photos of my Mrs. Coleville. The growth is generally upright, and the older wood is darker and smoother. The new growth has red thorns, but it isn't bristly. The hips are not elongated and they are smooth, as are the peduncles.

{{gwi:271373}}

{{gwi:271374}}

{{gwi:271375}}

{{gwi:271376}}

{{gwi:271377}}

I just realized I do have a photo of a bud taken the same day in early April as the open flower above.
    {{gwi:271378}}

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:05

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

hi, Carol, I think it's pretty too. I don't think it is the species. It has that look, though.

Suzie, thanks for the info about the bloom color, that's helpful. And I agree that the hips might tell us something, too.

Mad Gallica, thanks for the heads up. I put some small plastic baggies over a few of the green hips to see if that won't keep out the wabbits or whatever else might eat them.

Kathy, thanks for posting all the pictures. I think we do have the same rose. I can see the beginnings of those red prickles, on mine and the rest seems very similar.

I went through the other white/cream singles Vintage carries, and the closest to me is the 'Single Blush'. It's hard to tell but it seems to have the same hips your pictures showed. The bloom pics I have seen don't show any pink or red streaking. The Vintage catalog says it has some rebloom.

Thanks again, Gean

This post was edited by harborrose on Thu, May 15, 14 at 10:34

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathy,
    The other thought I had is that we have a self sown seedling. I have read these readily cross. The hips in your picture did seem to be more elongated than round to me; maybe Mrs. C and another single white? we might never know. But I like the rose and really do hope it has some rebloom! Gean

This post was edited by harborrose on Thu, May 15, 14 at 10:59