Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Roses Handling the Heat

Well, it hit 100+ here today and I thought I'd honor those roses that are actually doing well. This Carding Mill is a pretty small flower, but the plant was just transplanted to a larger container and I'm happy it's blooming at all. I posted back in March, I think, about this bare-root which I ordered from DA; at the time I was heartbroken because it wasn't sending up leaves like the others. Ingrid and others here assured me not to worry, and sure enough -- CM is doing very well.
I'm going to post a few others here, and some HTs on the regular Rose forum.
Thanks for indulging me,
Sylvia

Comments (8)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To my amazement, Munstead Wood is having a mini-flush. The flowers are mini-sized, too, but they are actually "catalogue color" this time. Love it!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is Tamora doing her best to look normal.
    S.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

One rose that does not handle dry heat well here for me is Glendora, a favorite of mine. The individual blooms go from fresh bud to open to withered in the course of about 24 hours when it is hot. I know this in particular because I deadheaded my plant yesterday. This morning noticed that all the good roses and buds I left were done and drying up.

Folly

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Sylvia, I'm so glad your Carding Mill is doing well since I'm the one who was forever singing its praises. Hopefully it will grow into a good-sized bush for you soon. Munstead Wood looks lovely too; I just love that color.

It's interesting to see how roses tolerate the heat differently. I also remember that my Portland of Glendora roses did not like the heat overly much.

It was over 100 degrees here too and some of my roses like the tea Miss Atwood were just crisped up while others like Belinda's Dream, just a few feet away, looked fresh and lovely. Mutabilis looks awful, although mildew contributed to that. My two Le Vesuve look fine but Rosette Delizy next door has some crispy blooms. Generally I'm noticing that the blooms from the previous day are crisped while the ones that opened today look reasonably okay.

Ingrid

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's crazy times alright. I like the heat as a rule, but not yet. As for fires, although we're not threatened here in the flats, I know from friends and family how terrifying and irrational fire can be.
    Still, at no time during the past winter did I wish myself back in Staten Island. Polar vortex? Check, please! Brrrrr.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

I maligned 'Glendora' unfairly. I went out to do some deadheading and found several other roses in the same crisp state. It is fortunate that the spring flush was in its late stage, and that many roses were already past before the heat struck.

And it is also fortunate that the temperatures here are supposed to start cooling a bit, at least in California.

Folly

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Sylvia, thanks for the helpful report and pretty pictures. It's been over 100F here as well. I quickly zipped through Humpty Dumpty House gardens at midday, hose in tow, and here are my observations:

The new Wollerton Old Hall looked completely unfazed, and is blooming away. It's potted in the "waiting area" which is crowded with roses, has complete morning shade, and late afternoon blasting sun.

The new Carding Mill is between flushes, but looks healthy, and is covered in buds. It's in full blazing sun.

The new Alnwick roses which are in full, intense sun have their second flush of blooms (fewer roses than the first flush), but surprisingly, most of the blooms look fresh and pretty. The Alnwicks that are in morning shade and dappled afternoon sun had an incredible first flush (much better than the ones in full sun), and are now between flushes with new buds.

Claire Austin is in full sun, and has been consistently blooming. There has not been a major flush, but rather a few blooms on the pillar at all times.

The Chocolate Sundaes bloomed reasonably well at the top of their arbor a while back, and are not putting out any more buds at this time. These have been here for several years, and I find them to be stingy bloomers. I give them a pass to stay because of their wonderful coloration and lovely cupped form. The few blooms they do put out seem to last forever on the arbor, and the chocolate-tinged oxblood red holds up even in baking sun.

Souvenir de la Malmaison climber was planted bare root at the same time as the bare roots Austins, and I'm very excited to report that she finally has a bud. I can't wait to see the bloom!

Tomorrow I'll be surrounded by hundreds of roses. It'll be way too hectic to take pictures, but I'll try to make a mental note of what I see.

Folly, I sure look forward to some cooler temps. This is a crazy May!

jannike

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that my tea rose Willliam R. Smith has been a terrrible crisper, with not a single nice rose on it. With the increasing heat and drought in the coming years I may have to consider replacing it. It's discouraging when a rose is finally mature to get rid of it and start all over but since the drought began two years ago beautiful blooms on this rose have been few and far between.

White Meidiland in its poor morning-shade and afternoon-sun location has withstood the heat quite well and it looks at home with the older rose varieties. No disease on its thick leaves either.

Ingrid