Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lessons my roses have taught me--(posted in Gallery by mistake)

Posted by zeffyrose_pa6b7 Lesson my roses have (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 21:26

I love my Zephirine Drouhin roses-----over the years I have propagated several healthy bushes--- I have given several away and there are eight around my yard ---seven of them are gorgeous.--HOWEVER ---there is one that just does not perform well---It is in a prime location --it gets fed and watered as needed--very often more attention than some of the others that are not near the water source----I have no explanation for this spindly bush------
The lesson I have learned----don't give up if there is a rose that you love and it does not perform well in your yard----get another bush and try again---This one bush frustrates me because all things considered it should do well-----it is several years old now and I'm about to SP(ouch) it which is difficult for me to do to one of my "babies"
Just thought I would share this lesson I have learned----My Zeffys are starting to bloom--I love the fragrance---Remember my DH favorite picture "Find Flo"---LOL this bush is the mommy to all the rest--

Florence

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lessons my roses have taught me--(posted in Gallery by mistak

• Posted by belmont Z4 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
    Fri, May 13, 11 at 8:24

Agree with you about the value of persistence AND the amazing fragrance of ZD.

Since you are such a fan of Zepherine I wonder if you have tried the lighter pink sport, Kathleen Harrop? I just heard about it and am considering planting KH with an existing ZD I have at my mother's house in California. I think the two shades of pink mixed would be a nice effect. KH is supposed to be less vigorous, though.

o

Florence, that happened in my garden with Lavender Lassie. One of them has grown 20 feet up into a tree and the other languishes. What if that had been the only one I knew?
I have to tell you that my Zephrine came down with downy mildew this winter. I think it will recover but it looks very sad right now.

o

Florence, I never get tired of that picture. ZD loves you!

My roses have TRIED to teach me patience. For the most part they've given up on me except for Marie van Houtte, who has languished in her probably too shady spot for three years, still only about two feet tall with almost no flowers. Now that's where I probably should be giving up.

Ingrid

P.S. Hoping for pictures of your spring garden this year!

o

Zeffy dear, this is absolutely my favorite picture of you. I'm so sorry we did not get a chance to meet last month. Perhaps another time? I still expect to be in Pennsylvania from time to time.

Right now I have two or three roses that I grew before and took out, but am trying again. I do this occasionally. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not.

Rosefolly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here