Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Can I relocate my antique rose bush now?

13 years ago

Hi Kids,

I have a question re: an antique rose bush that I have had for the past 12 years. We lived in CT where the bush did very, very well. Each June it was full of blooms and it produced many long and hardy canes all through the growing season. Three years ago we made the move to Cape Cod. I brought my rose with me and located it where I thought it would get enough sun. It has now struggled for 3 years. No blooms and only one cane this season. My thinking is, it needs more sun. Since our move we have had some trees removed which brings in lots of sun in a different location. My question is...would I be wise to cut the cane back, dig and move the bush to a better location? I would hate to stress this beauty but I fear it will not survive another winter in its stunted condition. It is an antique climber, blooms once in June with lovely pale, pink blooms which have a delicate scent. I have never been able to find out the name of it. It was given to me by a friend who dug it from her family garden. I was told it was planted by her grandmother in the 1940s.

Thank you for any advice.

sooey

Comments (8)

• 13 years ago

The rose seems very unhappy where it is now and has been for 3 years which should have been enough time to get established. I would definitely move it to more sun, since the sun seems to be the issue from your post.

Robert

• 13 years ago

Thank you Robert, I will make a plan for the big move. I am very sure that it is an issue of not enough sun for my rose, but I am also sure that the soil conditions only add to the issue. This rose went from the typical 50/50 soil/rock growing medium of CT to the almost 100% sand of Cape Cod. Even with regular feeding I could not win. The new spot not only gets more sun but it is in an area which seems to have a much better mixture of soil & sand. I have moved other plants and schrubs to this area and they are all doing very well.

Thanks again, Robert.

sooey

• 13 years ago

Location change can help a lot, also it is important not to have competing plants/roses nearby before it gets established. Just make sure you dig big enough hole and get enough roots along, since roses, at least from my experience, can have enormous root system in sand (my guess they probably need more roots in sand to get enough nutrition).

• 13 years ago

hi sooey,

make sure you incorporate some well composted manure into the soil you're going to fill around the plant and keep mulching with compost/manure to add organic material to the soil.

good luck,
    Diane

• 13 years ago

Now is not a good time to move a rose on Cape Cod. It is in the midst of its growing season and will be putting its energy into top growth not establishing roots.

Are you certain that the problem is not enough sun? Right now roses on the Cape have been devastated by the winter moth and the other caterpillar that is devouring the new growth. I would guess that the rose is being badly damaged by these pests. Check the rose carefully and remove and destroy any caterpillars on the rose. Check every day for new ones and remove them. Give the rose lots of water; we have not had any rain in over a week and I noticed that all my roses are needing a good drink as I have been away for a week. Go to Country Garden or what ever garden center is close to you and buy fish emulsion with seaweed. Follow the directions on the label for feeding and give the rose a feeding every other week. Make sure you give it plenty of water.

I have all my roses in pots in the shade because they don't dry out as fast and they are doing fine. I would wait to transplant the rose until the fall after it goes dormant or next April before it breaks dormancy. Make sure you dig a BIG hole and add an entire bag of composted cow manure or whatever you can get at the garden center to the hole along with a couple of cups of Rose Tone. Mix it well with the sandy soil in the hole and plant the rose.

Good luck,
    Sandy in Barnstable

Here is a link that might be useful: Cape Cod Heritage Roses

• 13 years ago

yes, I would agree that it seems a bit mad to move it now - if you can hang on until the heat of summer is over. However, if you really do have to move it, get a helper so you can lift the biggest rootball possible, straight onto a tarp and then drag it to the new location which has been prepared in advance. Water like a maniac - a whole gallon at least once a week, more if there is much sun and wind. Do not feed, jusy water. Good Luck.

• 13 years ago

If you have to move it now this video might help. If you can wait till later it's certainly a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moving A Rose During The Growing Season

• 13 years ago

Wow, thank you all so much for your advice! This rose bush is older than me and I would hate, hate hate to kill it. I am now thinking that I will limp along for as long as I can and move it after the heat of summer. Between now and then, I will pick off any caterpillers, feed it and even sing to it. I hope it will make it.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Great viedo.

sooey