Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cemeteryrose

Vintage Gardens - no open garden this year

cemeteryrose
12 years ago

Hi -

Got a message today that Gregg Lowery has canceled his Open Gardens this year because the gardens need too much work to open to visitors right now. He's been very busy with the importation of French roses and the absorption of the inventory from Eurodesert Roses, and there just has not been time to also get the gardens ready.

There are still plans to form a non-profit for the garden, but that too takes time.

I think Gregg's priorities have been exactly right, preserving the great selection that Eurodesert offered and importing roses that previously were not available, rather than spending time primping his garden for visitors. (Any of you who have opened your garden for a tour knows how much is involved - I just had a group come to my home on Sunday and I'm exhausted!)

I'm looking forward to coming to his Open Garden next year, and in years to come.

Anita

Comments (15)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

!Que lastima! But I agree -- Gregg (as usual) has his priorities just right.

Jeri

• kristimama
    12 years ago

What a shame, but I can completely understand the amount of work it must take to get the gardens ready. Did he say if he was planning to come to the El Cerrito celebration this year?

He is an absolutely dear man whose integrity and dedication shine when you meet him in person. Thanks for the update.

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

Gregg will be at the Celebration of Old Roses.
    I'm so glad he's taking this break from opening the garden. He needs it. I'm taking a rest from my Rosalia party this year too.

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Pam, you and Gregg both do a Herculean amount of work to preserve and share old roses - glad you are both taking a season off - that way you will enjoy things much more - no need to exhaust yourselves. Personally I would just like to thank you for preserving all of the roses in your amazingly lovely garden.

Looking forward to seeing both of you at the Celebration.

Jackie

• nastarana
    12 years ago

I just received 20 roses from Vintage. Large, healthy plants, not a dud among them. I thought shipping might be delayed, but they came right on schedule. That 5% sale last year helped me a lot, when combined with the ongoing specials.

Going forward, will Vintage continue to propagate and offer selections from their collection as they have done in the past? Will there be a new fall availability list? I want some of the albas which don't seem to be available anwhere else.

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

I would just wish that Vintage Gardens would have the financial resources and manpower "to do it all". I think, that being able to visit a rose garden is always a very special treat for any rose lover and I feel, it is a little bit sad that they can not open their garden this year. Hopefully next year things will be different.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

Jackie, One of the best things about The Celebration of Old Roses is seeing you and other rose friends. See you then!

• landperson
    12 years ago

"I would just wish that Vintage Gardens would have the financial resources and manpower "to do it all""

Tell all of your friends to buy more roses and to buy more roses from Vintage Gardens. It's the only way for what you want to happen to happen.

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

landperson, I am working on this since years and I feel, that is what we all should do :-)!

Christina

• landperson
    12 years ago

and, Christina, I certainly did NOT mean to suggest otherwise. That might have come off incorrectly.
    Me? I received 5 new Vintage roses yesterday: Rusty, Abraham Darby, Thisbe, Plaisanterie and The Imposter.

Whoopee....
    Susan

Susan

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Susan, I think, your message was clear :-)!

Enjoy your new roses from Vintage Gardens, I hope they do well for you!

Christina

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I admit to being disappointed that it had to be canceled, but what must be, must be. Gregg has taken on a lot this year with all the new roses, and has decided to put his resources of time and energy where they were most needed.

In the meanwhile, I will be at The Celebration in El Cerrito myself. Hope to see some of you there!

Rosefolly

• rosymominzone9
    12 years ago

Along the lines of supporting Vintage, will they be selling roses at the Celebration this year and ready to sell at time of start?

Anastasia

• fogrose
    12 years ago

anastasia, gregg and vintage will be selling roses at the celebration.

look forward to seeing everyone.

fogrose

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I'm headed up to El Cerrito shortly, hoping to see many friends, old and new. For those who don't know me yet, look for curly red hair and a green jacket. Probably glasses, too. I won't want to miss a detail.

Rosefolly