Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose died, coming up from roots

Posted by lucky1_gardener 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 21:41

Hi - We had a very wet, cold and soggy winter. Two of my David Austin's had the upper part die, but now there is new growth coming up from the roots. I'm sure one looks to be a grafted (Tamora) and Abraham Darby which is the two year old plant and is hard to tell if it's grafted or not, but it has lots of new growth coming up from the roots.
I'm wondering what the chances are that the new growth is from the rose I bought or from what it was grafted on? And what rose do they use for grafting?
I love roses but really don't know a lot about them, but have usually had good luck with the other roses in my garden which includes other David Austins planted in similar conditions.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose died, coming up from roots

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 11 at 0:00

If the growth does not produce flowers this year, it is most probably rootstock.

Probably Dr. Huey was the root stock. If you leave the growth until next year you can get small dark red flowers in spring. Dr. Huey is a once-a-year bloomer.

o

Dr. Huey is also a climbing rose, so if the new canes are notably longer than Tamora or Abraham Darby were for you the chances are probably good that Mother Nature has decided to replace your roses with Dr. Huey.

o

Thank you both. I guess I'll hold out a little hope that they aren't Dr. Huey since I loved the flowers on Tamora and Abraham Darby. The weather we've had and been having are really testing my garden right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here