Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much patience does Jaune Desprez demand?

Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 21:42

I planted a JD about three years ago. It was a 5 gal plant. It's been growing steadily and seems healthy but has been an extremely sparse bloomer. I had high hopes for this spring when so many of my other newer roses are putting on a show but JD again only has 4 or 5 blossoms. I thought I remembered people saying JD was slow to get started.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone growing JD how long it took for a good crop of blooms.

Thanks,
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much patience does Jaune Desprez demand?

In another garden but a similar location mine grew like a weed and bloomed early on. It was in a somewhat shady location and never bloomed profusely, and the flowers never enchanted me as much as I thought they would. It was probably me and I didn't fertilize or mulch it enough. However, judging by how quickly it grew I wonder whether it may like a warm and dry situation.

Ingrid

o

We've had it here for SEVERAL years. It was our third try at Jaune Desprez, and at least this one grew.

It has very few blooms (but it is now in more shade than it should have) -- but I am VERY enamoured of the blooms I do get, and (most particularly) their fragrance.

OTOH, if you are looking for a display of bloom in the garden, this may not be the rose for you.

Jeri

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 14 at 23:37

I think it's still early days for your plant, Diane. My JD did not bloom much until it was at least 5 years in the ground. The first year or two, the blooms were not many and it repeated very little, if at all. The next few years, I got maybe two so-so flushes a year. Since then and now at 10 years, it is pretty much continuously in bloom except in winter. The first flush ended about 2 weeks ago and today the first of another round of buds were opening, with many more to follow. In fact, it is one of the fastest repeaters of all my roses.

This is a photo from last year, but it looked pretty much the same this year. This isn't all of the plant: it climbs up into the bay tree behind it (whose very greedy roots it has to contend with) and has proceeded into the neighbor's redwood tree (also with greedy roots) beyond that. The scent fills the entire yard -- I love it.

o

Mine is grafted and was planted bareroot in part shade and pretty terrible soil. It took a couple of years to get going; I remember the first year it didn't bloom at all. Now that it has been in the ground for a decade it has been growing and blooming profusely for several years. We get a big spring bloom and scattered flowers afterward, but we don't water our garden and summers are dry: nothing blooms then. JD gets more disease than some roses; it has fairly awful thorns; but the creamy, ice-cream colored flowers are beautiful and abundant, and it is very sweet scented. The plant is tough as nails.
Is your plant own root? that might make it slower to get going. And do you get regular summer heat? If you don't, you might want to find out how gardeners in climates similar to yours have done with 'Jaune Desprez'. It may be that it does need summer heat, as Ingrid suggested.
Melissa

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 8:18

Too true about the thorns, Melissa. Mine still gets a touch of PM early on, though not to the point of being very noticeable; the foliage is usually healthy. My plant is own-root from Vintage.

About the summer heat, I wonder. While it certainly gets that here in Livermore, my inspiration for growing this rose was its photo and description in Graham Stuart Thomas' "The Art of Gardening with Roses" (p. 124). I have no direct knowledge whatsoever, but I've always assumed that the climate of Mottisfont Abbey, and all of England, is relatively cool and humid with not much summer heat. Here, JD's blooms are among the most susceptible to our dry heat: if it goes much above 85 degrees F, that day's blooms are goners.

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 20:02

Hi everyone. Really appreciate your feedback. My plant of JD is own root from Russian River Roses in Healdsburg, CA. Too bad they don't mail order because the plants they sell are lush, beautiful and HUGE.

I thought I had remembered that JD is slow to produce blooms so I've resisted shovel pruning it. Also the leaves are so healthy unlike a lot of other roses.

catspa, your photo takes my breath away. Lovely! I'd be thrilled if mine bloomed half as much especially since we don't get a lot of warmth here in Pacifica. I am hoping JD will do as well as Reve d'Or is along the same fence. Lots of blooms this year.

Diane

o

More than I had. Mine was essentially a once bloomer. Gone now. I actually am willing to plant once bloomers, but not once bloomers that pretend to be repeat bloomers.

Folly

o

• Posted by fogrose zone 10/sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 1:01

Sorry to hear that Rosefolly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine will produce more in the coming years otherwise time to say bye bye. I have a lot of once bloomers that I'm happy to grow because they can withstand my crazy garden conditions but at least there's a lot of flowers when they do bloom.

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here