Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

The most beautiful rose in the world

Molineux
17 years ago

When rosarians ask me what I think is the most beautiful rose in the world the answer is simple:
EVELN

IMHO this rose is a goddess. She is the cultivar responsible for switching my rose obsession from Hybrid Teas to English Roses. One of the things that is so spectacular about her blossoms is the clearity of the apricot/pink color. Although the color will bleach out in hot summer sun the colors are completely unmuddled by any kind of lilac or mauve tonality. When at their best the large blooms literally shine from across the garden. Speaking of size the flowers are very large in comparison to the shrub. This makes her stand out and in this respect she really does remind me of some of the highly developed Tea-Noisettes.

The perfect flower form doesn't hurt either. Form is somewhat variable but is ALWAYS beautiful. It can be either deeply cupped or quartered around a button eye. All too often it is a combination of both, starting out globuar then slowly opening into the quartered formation.

As for the fragrance it is simply out of this world! Not so much for its strength (although it is fairly strong) but instead for the quality and complexity of the parfume. This rose has numerious scents in her fragrance mix, some of which I'm at a loss to identify. I shall try: at the top there is a prominant fruity top note that smells exactly like ripe peaches. After that there is a very fresh Tea rose note followed by a subtle spicy finish that I believe is a light mix of myrrh and something else that eludes me (kinda reminds me of the Chanel no. 5 that my mother once wore).

Growth habit is nice too. When grown in the correct spot she is very vigorous throwing out long canes that gracefully arch. Shrubs of EVELYN grown as specimen plants where they are allowed to reach their full size are simply breathtaking (I once remember a cover of a garden magazine where this rose took center stage beside a colonial potting shed).

Of course this rose isn't without her issues. Simply put she can be bit of a fuss Diva. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Diva roses are just like their human counterparts. Sure they are demanding but when coddled and pampered they will put on a performance that outshines every other rose in the garden. In Evelyn's case her large sumptous flowers appear all over a graceful bush from spring till frost while spritzing doting admirers with her dreamy fragrance.

B-U-T she can be terribly fussy about placement, pruning, soil and spraying. She needs some protection from western sun (or else her pastel hued flowers will bleach out to white) yet isn't known for her shade tolerance. This rose wants, no demands, the sweetest spot in your garden; i.e eastern exposure without any competing shrubs or trees. She also frowns on hard pruning. Cut this rose back too severly and she'll pout by not growing. In fact, vigor is downright temperamental; either gangbusters or not at all. She also wants black loamy soil that is rich yet drains perfectly (I did say she was a fuss Diva didn't I?).

My sister grew this rose (grafted on Dr. Huey) to perfection for years in zone 7b coastal Virginia. Sis would lightly prune to shape several times during the growing season. She never hard pruned, only used organic fertilizers (high nitrogen causes The Jolly Giant Syndrome) and sprayed once every two weeks with a fungicide. The result was a dense shapely bush with big flowers all over the surface.

Sadly last your I shovel pruned Evelyn from my mom's formal rose garden. My mother's age and my sister's mental illness made it impossible for them to properly care for Evelyn. The poor thing was mostly dead anyway. Breaks my heart to write about it.

My EVELYN is own root from Chamblees and is starting her second year. She has been slow to build up stature but I don't care. I love this rose for several reasons, not all of them practical.

One of the happiest moments in my life was when I was a young man of about 25. I had just picked the first bloom off of the new EVELYN rose in my mother's garden. I held up the perfectly shaped (quartered) bloom to the early morning light and marveled at how the sun's rays suffused all through the flower illuminated it from within.

Then I smelled the rose:

I fell completely, totally, passionately, forever-and-ever in love with EVELYN.

Image of Evelyn by Cactus joe at Hortiplex

Here is a link that might be useful: Evelyn's Hortiplex page

Comments (63)

• predfern
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was going to order Evelyn from Chamblees this spring but they were out of them before I could order (I don't want them shipped too early). Would a grafted Evelyn survive in zone 5 if I bury the bud union 3"? I would really like to get Evelyn, St. Swithun and Fair Bianca.

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

When Austin is good, he is very, very good, isn't he? I don't grow Evelyn myself, but you are very persuasive. At present I have about a dozen Austins scattered around my garden, all gloriously in bloom right now. Of the ones I grow, Leander comes the closest in appearance to the picture of Evelyn you posted, though Leander is a climber. And it is the only rose in the garden which my DH requested.

Predfern, you might call Heirloom and see if they have Evelyn. It is not on their website, but they carry a lot of Austins they don't list there. It would be small, but it would be own root (and virus free). I have purchased several Austins from them.

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I went to the nursery last year to buy Tamora after coveting her for years but when I saw the exceptionally thorny little plant I ended up bringing home Evelyn and Heritage instead. I have been somewhat sorry because some people were pointing out these roses blow rather fast, but you are making me feel better. I hope to see and sniff lots more blooms this year.

My first Distant Drums bloom this year was very full and lovely. The fragrance eludes me. It smells a little like Coca Cola to me, or some Victorian perfume. Since you are so good with the fragrance determinations, Patrick, can you pin it down?

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Predfern, my grafted Evelyn made it through the winter just fine. I always bury the bud union 4-6" below. As I stated above, Evelyn's canes were actually hardier than some other Austins I grow. Not the hardiest like Mary Rose or Brother Cadfael, but hardier than Tamora.

DA is still shipping.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

At the bottom is a link to site where the owner gardens in a dry hot environment. While she ended up shovel pruning EVELYN, she did note that Eveyln had very beautiful flowers. Her images are superb and in perfect graphical terms describe the glorious color and form of this English Rose.

As for you cold zoners it might be a little too late to try EVELYN own root. Then again I don't garden in your zone so definately ask some advice from those already growing this rose in zones 4/5.

BTW, if you want an apricot English Rose that is whole lot easier to grow then I suggest TAMORA. Except for her cold hardiness issues (hardy only to zone 6a without some form of protection) she reblooms more often and is more location and neglect tolerant. While the flowers are not as glorious as those on Evelyn they are still very beautiful and should satisfy any English Rose junkie. BTW, Tamora's fragrance is the sweetest among the myrrh scented group (the fruity secondary scent is very strong and easily takes the edge off of the myrrh).

{{gwi:272356}}
    Image of TAMORA by Down and Dirty at The very best Austins thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Evelyn at MyLife Roses

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You folks may have noticed an increase in my enabling activities of late. That is because these posts will be my last for a little while. I've got three major projects looming, the first of witch is due by the end of June, and I won't have the down time to place involved posts. Please know that I'm not mad or hurt and I W-I-L-L be back.

BTW, below is an image that was recently placed on the Rose Gallery. It is by Brenton (drhuey) and IMHO perfectly displays the true glory of EVELN.

Best wishes,

Patrick

{{gwi:222143}}

• ralf58
    17 years ago

I have lusted after this rose for a long time but have been put off by her diva reputation. Now you've got me wondering again.
    Patrick, we'll miss you while you're gone.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

YoungQuinn over at the Antique Roses Gallery just posted a couple of the most sumptuous images of EVELYN. So I thought I've revive this thread because one cannot have too many lusciously fragrant peachy pink roses in the garden.

Just look at those big buxom blooms. Doesn't she make you want to smother your face in the silky folds?

Image by YoungQuinn at the Antique Roses Gallery
    {{gwi:272358}}

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

Don't stay away too long, Patrick. We like your unmercifully tempting ways.

Randy

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Yes, that is one very beautiful rose... Leslie

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So have you folks ordered EVELYN yet or do I have to twist your arm? Why you are at it might as well order SHARIFA ASMA and RADIO TIMES. Both are sinfully fragrant with flowers to die for and are available own root and virus free from Heirloom (heirloomroses.com).

Twisting away, now admit it - doesn't hurt a bit. LOL!

Image of EVELYN by HoovB at Hortiplex He-he-he-he-he...

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

HI Patrick. I'm adding Eveyln to my order. I can't holdback anymore. The pics are amazing.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Don't forget SHARIFA ASMA!

Image of SHARFIA ASMA by Christian at Hortiplex

• morrisnoor
    17 years ago

Patrick, I love your descriptions...

From Sardinia (Italy), one more 'Evelyn'...
    {{gwi:272359}}

...and "don't forget" 'Radio Times' ;o)
    {{gwi:272361}}

• jerijen
    17 years ago

We grew Evelyn. For about 3 years. Several years ago.

Here's where you get into "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION."
    I can see from the posts here that Evelyn is a wonderful rose for those of you who have some winter.

Out here in the coastal zone of Southern California, with no winter chill, Evelyn produced quite a different picture. She grew canes anywhere from 12 to 15 feet long. The far end of the cane grew quiet thin, floppy -- attenuated. Blooms (when there were blooms) flopped around at the thin end of those canes.
    We tried cutting it back hard.
    Nothing daunted, Evelyn hunkered down, and spent the next couple-three months growing back out to her preferred 12 to 15 feet. Out at the far end -- A Bloom.

The blooms WERE beautiful -- but far too few.

FWIW, Graham Thomas grew in a similar fashion here.
    The Pilgrim was the worst. It's canes draped to the ground, where they turned into thin vines, well-armed with prickles. The third time one of them wrapped itself around DH's ankles, it was doomed.

I am convinced that none of the "Big" Austins are really well-suited to this overly-mild climate. They were bred to exist where there is a winter to restrain them. If I move to a place where there is a winter, I'll give 'em another try.

Jeri Jennings
    Coastal Ventura County, Southern California

• youngquinn_gw
    17 years ago

Isnt it interesting that my experience of Evelyn is so different. We have a very mild climate in Melbourne and my Evelyn behaves herself beautifully. She is one of my best repeat bloomers and flowers in clusters , she has a bushy form and in her third year tops only around 4 feet.
    and yes it is definitely Evelyn.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We can't all live in California. EVELYN was bred in Great Britian. If I remember my geography the British Isles have what is called a Marine climate. The ocean conveyor sweeps up moisture from the South Atlantic and deposits it in Western Europe. The result: wet conditions year round, tempering both summer heat and winter cold. Ireland and Great Britain are in the direct path of this moisture exchange and consequently are blessed with one of the narrowest climate ranges on earth. Their summers and winters are nothing like what we experience here in the Mid-Atlantic and further north. The coastal region of Northern California (and I mean REALLY north like the Mendocino Coast and upwards) and the Pacific Northwest is the closest climate comparison and even then summers highs can exceed those in Wolverhampton. As for Melbourne, I haven't studied its climate but according to Wikipedia the city does have cooler winters than found elsewhere in Australia.

Of course we haven't even begun to discuss soil differences.

However you slice it - yes Evelyn probably does grow better outside of Southern California. I find that gratifying.

Patrick

• jerijen
    17 years ago

However you slice it - yes Evelyn probably does grow better outside of Southern California. I find that gratifying.
    Patrick

*** Oh, there are TONS of roses that don't perform well in the milder parts of Southern California. If we stick to roses that are well-adapted for this climate, we can do really well. If we push into things better suited to other climates, we set ourselves up for failure.
    But, heck, that's true of most climates.

One of the most important services a list like this can serve is to show which sorts of roses do well in which conditions. That's why I mention the limitations of a rose like Evelyn, or The Pilgrim. Not because I don't think they're fine roses, but because there are some areas where they aren't a good choice -- and that's part of the whole picture.

Jeri

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a pic of Evelyn showing her shapely shrub. My sister's Evelyn was very similar to this specimen. The image is by HoovB, posted on the Rose Gallery. BTW, HoovB lives in Southern California. Hmmmmmm ... interesting.

{{gwi:233223}}

• jerijen
    17 years ago

I don't think you understand how widely the conditions and climate vary in Southern California. A distance of 10 miles can make a profound difference in what grows well, and what does not grow well.

Jeri

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not having ever lived there how could I? The intention of the thread is to illustrate in prose how this cultivar has inspired me and hopefully will for others. Anybody who clicks My Page sees a description of what I'm trying to do with my garden, and where it is located.

Thank you for pointing out problems you've had with EVELYN in your particular part of Southern California. I'm sure it will be helpful for those who live nearby.

Patrick

• youngquinn_gw
    17 years ago

Melbournes climate is very mild and it would be unusual for temps to ever get below around40F during winter. Tasmania is far colder.

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

God almighty....Hoove's Evelyn is gorgeous!

I swear, Hoove could plant a dead stick and make it look good. He grows the prettiest roses I have ever seen.

Deb

• Molineux
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm truly sorry but I can't help myself. This rose is sooooooooooooo photogenic!.

Image of EVELYN by Kathy9norCal-CA-9 from the "Autumn shades of orange" thread posted at the Rose Gallery.
    {{gwi:239496}}

• garden_party
    17 years ago

She is one of my favorites as well in sunny NE Florida. I find her a blooming goddess with strong resilience to pestilence and disease (not to mention our awesome humidity).

But nothing matches her scent - she is a unsurpassed!!!

• cjhatt1215
    17 years ago

Jeri
    I have been growing Austins & OGR's for a "few" years in the Salinas Valley. You are soooo right about location. I too shovel pruned the pilgrim, evelyn, charlotte, abraham darby.... and I can't remember all of the others. I have been able to keep Graham Thomas in bounds (at the back of my garden & with heavy pruning). I absolutely adore the Austins and am certainly not deterred but I will watch your posts with great interest.

• ruthie5b
    17 years ago

Hmmm...I wonder if I could grow this in coastal zone 5b (PEI)? It certainly is beautiful.

Ruth

• beki
    17 years ago

OH, I have to agree, that Evelyn is the most beautiful rose! I have grown my Evelyn for at least 5 years now, and I agree that she prefers morning sun, with afternoon sun protection. In one location I trained her along a porch rail, with the laterals offered up to the nose: ahhh, Evelyn! I sometimes feed her banana peels as a treat, tucked under the mulch about her roots. My daughter, at age 11, actually wrote a poem about being jealous of this rose! but ended it "... but rosebushes don't get hugs!" Too true!

The fragrance of Evelyn is so fruity/peachy sometimes it's almost not 'rose' anymore. But I'll not complain!

If you cut Evelyn for the house, make sure the buds are small and tight, as she drops petals quickly otherwise.

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Ah Jeri,

You're making me long for Los Angeles, not that it's much different up here in terms of "ten miles" making a world of difference. The bay ends about fifteen miles from here and driving away from it one can watch the car thermometer change by a degree for each mile, more or less.

Patrick,

What an excellent thread! Loved the description of Ireland and England's weather conditions!

I may add Evelyn to my collection--again, having left it behind.

MichaelAT

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Ruthie, I grow her in 5b Maine and she does fine.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Iris-gal-z9-CA just posted the most sumptous image of EVELYN. Here is what she had to say about it:

"Evelyn,

Hope she glows on your screen. Shot early evening. The first rose planted in my revamping of the front. I love the buttoned center. Hope she always produces that kind of bloom. Also I am pleasantly surprised her bloom lasted all week. I'm gunshy on Austin roses after Heritage's here today gone day after."

Iris also posted an image, which I'm including below.

Now brace yourselves my dear enablees!

{{gwi:272363}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

Gasp--that has got to be the most beautiful rose photo I've ever seen!

Kate

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

PAtrick! You have to stop it. I'm turning my head away!

I'm running out of room to plant, and I've been touched by Austin-madness this year anyway. (Eight new Ashdown roses are on their way as I type, and nowhere to put them cept the pot ghetto.) So, stop it with the Evelyn pictures.

I thought Abe and Crown Princess Margareta could make me swoon, but this is getting really bad! I shouldn't even open your posts, but your descriptions are just too tempting...

pbbththth!

Oh btw, if you ever do write a book--I'd definitely buy it!

Stop,

• francie12
    16 years ago

Patrick, you and I have the same taste in roses. I can't get enough of either of my favorites--Evalyn and Sharifa Asma. They do great here in zone 5 if anyone else is wondering. Looking forward to any more pics you post--ravishing!

• artemis_pa
    16 years ago

Hi Patrick. FINALLY my diva...EVELYN graced me with a royal flush! No fewer than 17 (yes I counted!) blooms. I swooned each morning as I made my rounds in the garden and visited her. I cooed words of thanks. The blooms lasted over a week.I feel so lucky that I finally got to really see what this unbelievable rose is capable of. This is her 3rd or 4th year in my garden. She rules!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

I was just out there thinking I should shovel prune the darn thing. Just not getting the repeat I would like. But it's sooooooo big now, it's going to be a job. Then I look at my Jubilee Celebrations that bloom and bloom and bloom and bloom and it's getting very tempting to set the shovel out by Evelyn, to give her a hint.

• buford
    16 years ago

My Jubilee Celebration didn't make it :( But J&P is sending a replacement. But Bishop's Castle has it's first bloom, and except for a few that were deformed, they are a lovey cup shaped dark pink. Very nice and stands out from a distance.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Madame Hardy,

He-he-he-he-he...

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    16 years ago

Patrick, I'm so late to the party. Please forgive me?

Here is a link that might be useful: Evelyn

• cziga
    16 years ago

Well, as it so happens, I was walking though our local nursery the other day, through the rows and rows of HT Peace roses and Knockouts . . . and I came across the David Austin table. They had 3 different roses out there, and one of them was Evelyn. It looked healthy, it smelled pretty and it even had a spent bloom which looks like the right colour (so I thikn I'm getting the right rose).

So . . . I bought it :)

I'm going to bury the bud union deep, to winter protect a little and to encourage her to go ownroot. Can anyone (who grows this rose up in the northern/colder zones) give me an idea of how big she's likely to get up here?

• Molineux
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Below is an image of a 3rd year EVELYN bush in zone 5. The image is by Rochesterroseman-zone5-NY. Now I don't know if he is in zone 5a or 5b, but given the breathtaking beauty is at least worth trying. You gotta admit - that pink/apricot color and perfect Old Garden Rose flower form is a killer combo. Many of the Tea-Noisettes have this kind of coloring, but alas aren't hardy north of USDA Zone 7.

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to give into it." Oscar Wilde

{{gwi:272365}}

• Molineux
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes my dear sweet enablees,

Gaze deeply into the apricot pink depths.

Loose yourself in the sheer silky folds.

Inhale the intoxicating peachy essence.

Let the dawn light of the Goddess lift you into rosy nirvana.

Today the D-I-V-A sings for Y-O-U-!

Image of Evelyn by Char-Rose previously posted at the Antique Rose Gallery
    {{gwi:272367}}

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Yes,Patrick, I am completely smitten by this rose - she is, so far, perfect.....

{{gwi:272368}}

{{gwi:272369}}

Judith

• geo_7a
    14 years ago

Not to disagree, but I think Patrick sees the question as applying only to roses that are remontant & very fragrant.
    Not bad considerations, but I believe this excludes many (entire classes of) roses from consideration. For example, having looked at, and planted, a similarly colored rose that I believe looks at least as nice as Evelyn, I would have to say that Marianne is such a rose.

Part of my order this year was one rose from Heirloom. It only had one bud (which recently opened). Having seen it, I (through my, given, limited knowledge) would have to say that Tuscany Superb is the most beautiful rose.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Awhh..that's my name..Evelyn. I should get this rose just for that. :-)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    6 years ago

It is very interesting for me to read older posts and to see whether the same rose is as great as it was back then. I do agree that with the right condition, this rose is beautiful. I am fortunate to grow this rose and last year (in its second year) it was simply stunning. I loved it so much that I had to buy another one.

Since we had a very mild winter, Evelyn has maintained all her canes. Since it is rare for canes to survive the winter, I plan to just let it grow this year. It is at least six feet tall right now and I am planning to grow it like a climbing rose horizontally, hoping laterals will develop along the main canes. I know it isn't considered a "climbing rose" and I have no idea if it will behave like one. I will wait and see.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

Strange that I read this old post this morning and resurrected it on the rose forum. I ran into it while looking up Dame Judi Dench.

• jerijen
    6 years ago

And I would have to add that "The Most Beautiful Rose" title belongs to more than one rose . . . Because as with Real Estate, roses and other growing things are dependent upon "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION."

So, while I truly believe that 'Evelyn' is The Most Beautiful Rose in Patrick's 6B conditions, and (per the late Col Mel Hulse) 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' is The Most Beautiful Rose in San Jose, CA's 9B conditions . . . NEITHER is beautiful here, in my Sunset Zone 23 garden, SdlM mildews so badly, no bloom opens. And Evelyn? She's so happy that she has to grow to between 12 and 14 ft. before she deigns to set a bloom.

So, what IS The Most Beautiful Rose in my garden? Danged if I know. I guess, what ever's blooming today?

This was 'Golden Celebration' last night, however . . .

• daisymeowmeow
    6 years ago

Regarding Evelyn, I saw a very pretty photo of her, this lady grows Evelyn in Japan, it's in her 5th year, stunning. Hope mine can be like this one day.