Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

This year seedlings.

olga_6b
16 years ago

I always play with seeds in winter,just for fun. Have several open pollinated seedlings blooming now. Nothing special, but like any small animal or small plant they are very cute.

The first one has Lyda rose as a parent. It has Lyda's strong fragrance and probably will be more double with age.

{{gwi:272423}}

{{gwi:272424}}

Another one has bourbon DdDR as a parent. Very clear color.

{{gwi:272426}}

{{gwi:272429}}

{{gwi:272431}}

{{gwi:272432}}

{{gwi:272433}}

Olga

Comments (25)

• jerome
    16 years ago

Olga, they're cute as buttons. What nice roses they'll grow up to be, both very fine.

Jerome

• msrose
    16 years ago

I'm a pink nut, so naturally I love the 2nd one :)

Laurie

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

They are both lovely. How fascinating! The bloom looks so large for the plant or maybe it is just the camera angle.

• marcialene
    16 years ago

I am wondering if you started these gorgeous roses by seed. What do mean by pollinated seedlings? Do you get the seeds from the hips?

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

I've not tried starting the self pollinated seeds..or any rose seeds..would you like to explain your system and success rate? Thanks

Robert

• medusa_
    16 years ago

I love the pink! And what's her name?

• carla17
    16 years ago

Pink rules Olga, it's beautiful!!!

Carla

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much.
    Aliska, bloom is normal size, approx 3.5", but the plant itself is so tiny yet that it really looks disproportional, like huge bloom.
    Marcialene, yes, they are from seeds. I collected hips this fall and these roses are from fall crop of hips.
    Robert, no sistem, this is really just a good thing to play in winter, when the garden is dormat. I collect open pollinated hips sometime in october-early November. Take seeds out, put them in labled ziplock bag. The seeds are wrapped in the a piece of wet paper towel. In 8-10 weeks I take seeds out and plant them im tiny pots. Some roses have seeds that almost always germinate, some that never germinate for me. The following year I usually try to avoid collecting hips from the last ones. Repeat bloomers usually bloom the first season. These roses germinated in March. Now they are blooming. I have more that have buds, but didn't bloom yet. I also have a bunch of seedlings from bourbons and climbers wich probably will be once bloomers, no buds yet on then now.
    Medusa, no name, they are just germinated seeds.

Olga

• hartwood
    16 years ago

How fun! I always feel like such a proud parent when my rooted cuttings bloom -- I can't imagine the pride you feel to see a flower on your seedling. I know what I'm going to be doing this winter.

Connie

• susaninthegarden
    16 years ago

I love both of these roses. Will they have more petals as they mature? (not that they arent pretty now!)

Isn't it just amazing to see such little roses have flowers?

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Olga, your seedlings always amaze me. You have a magic touch :)

Lisa

• carolfm
    16 years ago

As usual I am the oddball. I like the pink, beautiful form already showing but that seedling from Lyda rose is precious! Love the stamens. You seem to have a magic touch with seedlings as well as with roses.

Carol

• lori_elf z6b MD
    16 years ago

Olga, your seedlings are adorable! I really love that bourbon.

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

Oh how sweet :)
    Love both of the seedling babies. Love the petal count of the pink and color, but there is something extremely cute about your lighter colored one. I like the shape of the petals I think.

So the petal counts can increase with maturity?
    Something I think I have read about or heard others refer to, but is it something you see commonly with seedlings?

I played around with seeds this year too.. I have one blooming and I am quite taken with it... it's fun!

Marleah

• kaylah
    16 years ago

After you wrap those seeds in the paper towel and put them in the ziplock bag, don't you put them in the fridge?
    I read this method where you put them in the fridge, then take them out, then back in the fridge.

• jennbenn
    16 years ago

Olga,
    these are so lovely! I love the white, for some reason it reminds me of the gardenia I picked from my garden last night! Any fragrance to it? I have got to try this next winter. So cool! You do have the magic touch :)
    jenn

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I love the Lyda Rose seedling. I would love to have a cutting or a plant of that if you ever get one of those round to it's. I adore that one.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much.
    Patricia, as soon as it grows a little bigger I will be happy to send you a cutting.
    Kaylah, you are right. I somehow didn't finish my sentence, you have to put them into fridge for 8-10 weeks. I don't take them out before January.
    Olga

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Olga, I would love that very much. As usual, you are always so sweet and generous. I think it is a precious thing. It would be even more special because it is your own rose.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Olga how many seedlings do you have growing in your garden?

• buford
    16 years ago

I feel dumb, but how do you know if the hips are pollinated? Can you do this with any rose that makes hips?

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Olga,

I can't wait to show this to my husband. He loves being able to grow things without spending lots of money. I don't have the patience. But I love these pics so I will encourage him to try this.

Like Buford I want to know if you can use any rose that makes hips and it has been pollinated if it makes hips,right?

Thanks,
    Betty

• oath5
    16 years ago

What pretty seedlings Olga! I've just started with my own seedlings too. It's so much fun!

My OP 'Queen Elizabeth' seedling.

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/9751/p1010301lm0.jpg
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7123/p1010302cw4.jpg

It faded to white and is still holding onto petals like a gila monster. It's been a few weeks and it hasn't dropped it. Should I deadhead?

• garden_party
    16 years ago

Olga, that is amazing! So, you wrap them in a wet napkin and put them in a ziplock bag. Does it matter what temperature they are kept in for the 8 to 10 weeks? I would love to try this!

Lois

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lois, you have to put them to fridge for 8-10 weeks after that.
    Max, Your seedling is wonderful. I saw it at RH forum some time ago. I would deadhead if it were me.
    Are you planning to go to Heritage Rosarium on Memorial day weekend? If yes, you can pick up your Charles de Mills and see if you want any cuttings of my roses. I am approx 20 min from HR.
    Just let me know. Otherwise I will send you CdM, it is in a pot and is finally shows life.
    Olga

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus