Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

I love the color of Dr. Huey

hosenemesis
12 years ago

Hi all,

There's a Dr. Huey growing from my father-in-law's Brigadoon, and I'll tell you, the color is just beautiful. Can anyone recommend a rose in the color of Dr. Huey that will grow in partial shade in So Cal?

Renee

Comments (15)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I like him, too, but I do not love his rust.

Have you looked at Ragged Robin?

Jeri

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have now, thanks! Pretty, but I really love that deep burgundy of Dr. Huey. Ah well.
    Renee

• onederw
    12 years ago

Renee, how about Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona? Very fragrant and happier in afternoon shade, especially in the heat of summer. Just from the photos, however, I do suspect that Frankie may be somewhat darker than Dr. Huey.
    Kay

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

Sorry to interject a dose of reality, but Dr. Huey may be the most abundant rose in much of the country and it does not handle direct sunlight well at all. Often it is a bloom on a stick as the leaves have dropped from Black Spot.

I see a lot of Dr. Hueys every year and I see them as testament to the broken dreams of folks who thought they could grow roses only to have the scions die and the rootstock survive. Seldom are there other roses at these houses, only one, occassionally two Dr. Hueys left over from a person's attempt to grow roses.

Now, at least, we have houses where Knock Out was chosen and where it thrives. Another year or two and Knock Out might outnumber Huey.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Renee, how about Souvenir du dr Jamain? Mine grows in partial (afternoon) shade and seems quite happy.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ogrose, that is one gorgeous rose. I have always admired Francis Dubreuil as well. Thanks for the suggestions- I have a large area to experiment with, and it only gets direct sun for about two hours in the summer. For the rest of the year it is in dappled light shade. I thought Gruss An Aachen would look good with a burgundy colored climbing rose in that spot.

Renee

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Cardinal Hume is your rose for that situation, and I see it is on Burlington Roses currently available list.

• monarda_gw
    12 years ago

Gruss an Teplitz is a nice rose as I have seen it in arboretums. My DH, who loves red roses, says, "Why can't we have a rose like that!?" It blooms all year, too.

Though perhaps Cardinal Hume mentioned above, or Purple Buttons (a smaller version) is the one you want for shade. Souvenir du Doctor Jamain, also mentioned above, ialso needs a bit of shade to protect its deep color, so they say.. It is exquisite.

All these roses, and there are quite a few in the red category, have scent and are in bloom for much longer than Dr. Huey. The Dr. does have a nice full habit and is full of blooms in its brief season, but many of the other old once bloomers also make up for it by their profusion and have other qualities as well Good luck.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Not an antique rose, but 'Burgundy Iceberg' is similar to Dr. H, but without the Rust.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I'm writing all these suggestions down and checking them out. I have a section of my front rose bed that now gets less than optimal sun because that darn tree grew up! It does get early morning and late afternoon sun but none in between. So I thank you all for your partial shade lover list!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just posted a photo of Cardinal Hume in the Rose Gallery. A spectacular rose. If you go over there to look, you will see that I keyed in on the red roses :)

• buford
    12 years ago

I let this Dr Huey rootstock from another rose grow next to my Fabulous and it looks fabulous!

{{gwi:272645}}

{{gwi:272646}}

• lindawisconsin
    12 years ago

Gorgeous pictures Buford!

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

If you have (or know someone who has) the Vintage Gardens catalog, Gregg discusses roses that do well in some shade on page 339. He writes about roses and shade, and then he gives a list of some roses that they have grown personally at VG and found to be tolerant of some shade. Except for Cecile Brunner, I haven't grown any of these roses, but you could look them up on HelpMeFind to see if any of them have that wonderful color you are looking for - OR, you may find something else on that list that you like for that location. I have had two dark red roses - 'Nigrette' and 'Oklahoma' - and the color on each was utterly gorgeous, but they both crisped in the summer months from the sun of my western exposure here in Sacramento. 'Oklahoma' is not an old rose (HT 1964), but its color is beautiful: dark red, with depth and nuance. The fragrance is luscious as well. 'Nigrette' is a small rose on a small bush, but wonderful, although apparently it needs some extra love and attention.

Laura
    P.S. If you don't have access to Gregg's catalog but would like the list, post again on this thread and I will post it. Or maybe it can be found on the Vintage Gardens website, though I don't recall seeing it there.

• york_rose
    12 years ago

I also think Dr. Huey's flowers are a nice color. If only that rose bloomed for a longer period of time!

:(