Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac Rose?

Posted by kansas.girl none (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 22:34

Is there a true lilac rose out there? A David Austin? I feel like many of them have too much pink in them and aren't really that lilac tone. I'd even go for a purple! Not too dark though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac Rose?

There are many lavender/lilac roses on the market. I don't know what to suggest as far as an Austin in that color, but you have a wide selection of HTs and floribundas in lilac, lavender and "purple". Perhaps searching for that color on Help Me Find- Roses will give you the most comprehensive list. Finding what is listed available somewhere is going to be the bugaboo. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find-Roses

o

Karl Lagerfeld,
Blue Girl
Nimbus
Antike
Heirloom
Veilchenblau
There's a few. I don't know any of the newer ones.

o

Austin's 'Lilac Rose' was a medium pink, here in Coastal Southern California. There are any number of Old Roses with a lot more lavender to them.

One that leaps to mind is 'Reine des Violettes' -- Look her up in HelpMeFind.

I grow a couple of distinctly lavender-purple roses here, but they are not in regular commerce, so that doesn't help you.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 13:00

Love Song, Lavender Veranda, Plum Pretty, Poisiden, Neptune, Nicole Carol Miller come to mind.

o

Ripples
Lavande
Amy Vanderbilt
Lilac Charm
Lilac Dawn
Donau!
Violette
Winter Magic
Café Ole
Lavender Princess
Lavender Pinocchio

This post was edited by odinthor on Mon, May 12, 14 at 17:29

o

Austin's Charles Rennie McIntosh looks quite lilac/mauve in the pics I've seen of it.

Good old Angel Face is what I would call lilac too.

o

I used to grow Austen's 'Lilac Rose'. It bloomed in clusters and the buds were too close together. Because of that flaw, the flowers never seemed to open properly, being crowded by the others in the cluster. I agree there are many far better pinkish/lilac roses on the market.

o

English Perfume is also a possibility. I just picked one up from Roses Unlimited. It has a very large flower. It is very lavender. And it's very fragrant.

I recently read this funny comment in Chasing the Rose. One of the people in the book mentioned that most modern roses look like they have had "work done on them." This rose kind of makes me agree. But it's interesting nonetheless. And very feminine, which is right up my alley. ;)

o

silver star grandiflora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here