Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

What is your largest rose bloom?

In my garden it is without a doubt Yves Piaget which measures over 6 1/2 inches across, on a bush that is about two feet tall, which was planted last August from a 5-gallon pot. I'd be interested to know what your largest rose bloom is, and how much larger it might be than my whopper. I suppose there must be a limit to what size a rose bloom can attain, but I don't know what that is. I'm looking forward to your replies!

Ingrid

Comments (48)

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

Hi Ingid,

My Yves has never flourished and doesn't bloom much (I think it needs to be moved) but I keep the poor dear because of the lovely blooms and I *really* like scalloped petals.

My biggest blooms by far are on the HT, Oldtimer (sorry wrong forum, I know), by a landslide.

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Hi Ingrid,

My rose is still a baby, but she throws out the biggest blooms ever, well, in my limited experience. It's DA Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Bloom size vary, but most are over 3 inches wide with a lovely fragrance. I can't imagine having a 6-inch bloom like yours, Ingrid!

My only disappointment so far is its coloring. It's more on the orangy-pink side. I wanted more of a pinkish tone coloring...oh, well, I will wait and see whether it gets SP'd or not.

Audrey

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Chromatella.

Sherry

• User
    13 years ago

Chicago Peace can go 6 iches across

• bebemarie
    13 years ago

In my garden it's Austin's Golden Celebration and as I posted in another topic, I'm not pleased with it. Too big in comparison with my other blooms. I was told to have patience as blooms get smaller later in the season. We'll see...

Diane

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked bebemarie
  • ceterum
    13 years ago

Parole. And it is very fragrant. Valencia also had enormosu blooms but passed away.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ceterum
  • rosymominzone9
    13 years ago

New one - California Dreamin' - interesting thing that this group will appreciate is that after it fully opens, it has a somewhat contrasting (in color and form) yellow center that kind of folds and quills in like an OGR. I love that little surprise at the end. It looks like a massive bicolored pink, yellow, cream OGR in some ways. I can't quite put my finger on it to describe it, but the swirls of color are delicious (albeit a little bold). Not sure how it performs long term as I've only owned it for a month (grafted). I think it probably likes warmer climes, but I'm guessing. Also, not sure of exact bloom size except that it comes across as huge and the bloom is tall (has height), if that makes any sense.

It's an HT modern though. I am now building up my OGR collection. Generally, do OGRs have large blooms over say, 5 inches?

Are we limiting these to OGRs cause I know modern HTs that are huge. What I've heard is they just don't bloom often:
    Legends, Medallion, Moonstone (supposed to repeat better than others) to name a few - all supposed to be over 6 inches or at least that. I don't own enough OGRs to say, but I saw a huge Baronne Prevost bloom at the Heritage Rose garden that I fell in love with (I ordered it!).

Interesting about Yves Piaget. I hope mine follows your lead! :-) Bought it last year. I don't think it does optimally without lots of sun and circulation. I think it's not opening as well in the spot I have it kind of near a fence that blocks light at times. Luckily it's still in a pot :-) Love it though.

Curious about the recommended OGR ones here! Thanks!

Stasi

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked rosymominzone9
  • malibu_rose
    13 years ago

Just Joey! I didn't measure it but it is the biggest bloom in my garden. Beats Golden Celebration! As for Yves Piaget, mine hardly blooms and constantly has blackspots. My dear friend gave it to me but it is a dog in my garden. :-(

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked malibu_rose
  • harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Peace:

{{gwi:219315}}

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
  • mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

I would say Yves Piaget too, but Valencia is as big with more petals in the spring. It really knocks my socks off.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mendocino_rose
  • bluesibe
    13 years ago

Yves Piaget by far. Beautiful peony blooms with a scent to match. Can't go wrong. Constance Spry often pushes out large blooms as well as few others, but Yves is the king.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked bluesibe
  • texaslynn
    13 years ago

Dame Edith Helen

and the modern, Legends.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked texaslynn
  • mary_anna
    13 years ago

General Schablikine. When I lived elsewhere, Madame Lombard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Now blogging on the weirdities of book publishing at

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mary_anna
  • berndoodle
    13 years ago

Sophia Renaissance, 5.5 in. blooms in the coolth of the spring.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked berndoodle
  • malcolm_manners
    13 years ago

I've had similar experience to some of you who have posted:

'Medallion' (HT) is easily the biggest rose flower I've ever grown. I no longer grow the variety.

'Peace' is currently our largest-flowered rose, specifically on the spring flush, if we have a cool spring (as we did this year). I've not measured them, but they're huge.

Of our OGRs, 'Paul Neyron', on the spring flush, can be very large.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked malcolm_manners
  • annabeth
    13 years ago

HTs and moderns aside, my biggest are Abraham Darby and Madame Isaac Perreire.

After reading the above, I am really interested in Yves Piaget now.

As for small blooms, I was surprised at the silver-dollar sized blooms on Rose de Rescht. Will they get bigger as the bush matures? It is still in a 5 gallon pot right now.

Annabeth

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

Peace is one of my largest too, but I think Souvenir de Georges Pernet is just a bit larger, at least sometimes. I would have to measure every summer for a couple of years to be shore. It does depend upon weather, care, pruning, climate,..., and all that.

• jeffcat
    13 years ago

That I own:
    Abe Darby/Evelyn
    biggest HT: Belinda's Dream(my only HT)

Biggest OGR that I've seen:
    Paul Neyron

Biggest HT:
    Medallion......by a mile

• lori_elf z6b MD
    13 years ago

Biggest Austin blooms: Generous Gardener, Abraham Darby, and Constance Spry.

Largest OGR blooms: climbing American Beauty, Mme Victor Verdier, Rosarie de l'Hay

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Ingrid, this Princess Alexandra bloom was almost seven inches. This year, it has been my biggest bloom.

Juliet

This Princess insists on being noticed

{{gwi:206378}}

• buffington22
    13 years ago

Abe Darby in the spring!

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

Definitely Peace, during the Spring bloom - we have had blooms 7-8 inches across! Our plant is about 50 years old, having been planted when Peace first came on the market, so perhaps we are lucky to have an old plant, as I have heard that newer clones of Peace are not as good.

Jackie

• steelrose
    13 years ago

In my yard---Just Joey.

Colleen

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Mine is my only Austin, "The Dark Lady." I'd say this bloom is five inches across. They aren't this large later in the season, and this pic also makes it look much too salmon in tone.
    {{gwi:273210}}

• User
    13 years ago

Madame Gregoire Staechelin, Phillippa Renaissance

• opticcurve
    13 years ago

Easily Abraham Darby.

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

In this spring's flush, I think 'Hot Princess' left even 'Peace' & 'Medallion' in the shade.

• mariannese
    13 years ago

In its previous location, definitely Rose Gaujard. Ridiculously large lollypops, like undersized Savoy cabbages. After I moved it, the blooms are more normal.

• odyssey3
    13 years ago

For me it's Austin's Brother Cadfael. I have got to get Princess Alexandra! I wanted her since I saw her at Chelsea years ago. This is the year!

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Papi Delbard and it is clean, very fragrant (spicy) and the colors have different hues - in one word: GORGEOUS!!!!

{{gwi:273212}}

{{gwi:273214}}

A third, horrible photo, but it shows a very different color variation:

{{gwi:273217}}

• saldut
    13 years ago

Don Juan by far, he is tall and very muscular... also Belinda's Dream, she is a wild one... my OGR's are new and not big enough yet... sally

• balramkapoor
    10 years ago

this rose is approximately 18 cm wide ... i want to know the size of the largest rose.....

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

That pic reminds me of one I saw on HelpMeFind for 'Belle Portugaise'. Unfortunately, I'm not in a warm-enough climate (yet!) to grow this climber. Even though it's once-blooming, I think it's worth it to see flowers the size of the one in the pic linked below.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Belle Portugaise' pic on HelpMeFind

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

August Luise is definitely my largest, about the size of a pie (I exaggerate only slightly). Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

In my garden, a modern HT called Peter Mayle--hot pink and BIG! (Sorry, never measured it.)

Kate

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Paul Neyron

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

HTs Peace and Parole (Buxom Beauty) for me.
    Nik

• brenda_l_w
    10 years ago

President Herbert Hoover.
    {{gwi:273218}}

This was taken in November a few weeks after Pres HH was planted. I could enjoy the view from inside since it was so large.

• odinthor
    10 years ago

'La France de '89', consistently. A splendid rose!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I saw Legends at a nursery - enormous bloom! I ordered it today. Wondering if this rose blooms a lot, if all its blooms are huge?? Also have Princess Alexander of Kent on order. I used to grow Cary Grant and seem to recall that it was huge. Think Dolly Parton is very large - I know First Prize is, and think Pink Peace is big.
    Judith

• Ali & Rys'
    5 years ago

Please help the newbie in gardening... this rose has blown me away, adout 7” across! And the scent is phenomenal !!

• User
    5 years ago

Which country are you in please? If you're in the States I wouldn't know, but if you're in England it might be 'Alec's Red'...

• Ali & Rys'
    5 years ago

Sunny England!! So thank you for your help..... will go have a Google for Alec's Red!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Alec's Red is a lovely rose with great fragrance. Roses Unlimited has it on its summer sales list now for $10 - I just ordered another.

Judith

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • Ali & Rys'
    5 years ago

The bush next to the Alex is a light yellowish bloom that starts out a beautiful orange.... there must be 200 blooms on it! Any idea what it’s called??

• Ali & Rys'
    5 years ago

And in the evening sun..... majestic!

• User
    5 years ago

I'm not sure about that one, it might be 'Allgold'...