Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember my Gertrude Jekyll?

Posted by lisa_h 7 OK (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 22:54

Remember my Gertrude that I was asking if I should peg? and you told me to tie her to the fence? She's looking pretty fabulous today.

photo 20140508_190243.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember my Gertrude Jekyll?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 23:47

She certainly is! Great job!

o

Isn't she beautiful!
Sammy

o

Looking good, lisa! How does she smell?

Kate

o

Look at her all blooming beautiful! I love it when things work out :)

o

She does smell heavenly!!!

I hope the color on this looks okay...it looks perfect on my phone and not-so-perfect on my laptop :) but it is so pretty I wanted to share.

photo 20140510_084500.jpg

o

I really like the way the bluish clematis set off the pink color of the rose. You've done a great job! What color are the daylilies(?) in front?

Ingrid

o

Success!!! She's beautiful, Lisa! Keep us updated on rebloom. I'll bet GJ's aroma is heavenly. Aren't chain link fences the best trellises? They last forever and make training roses/climbers so easy. I've considered installing a couple of tall panels against my existing wood fence (which requires many screw eyes and hooks and wire). Iron is quite rusty in Portland and needs regular attention. The last thing I want in my life is a needy garden structure! Carol

o

Ingrid, I am not sure what color they are! I have a bunch of random daylilies that I grow at the front of my beds as edging. That particular area still has some wild orange daylilies that I am still working on eradicating. I'm pretty sure they would live through a nuclear bomb. :)

Lisa

o

Carol....yes, I love my chain link fences! ..for several reasons! I have had privacy fences in another house, but I really love the friendliness of the chainlink in this neighborhood. I frequently chat with my next door neighbor over the fence. The only time I kinda wish I had a wood fence is when the dogs on my back fence rush the fence. I think they have pit bull in them and they scare me every once in a while.

I have passion vines, clematis, and honeysuckle growing on the fences in different spots. Oh, and squash! it is perfect trellis for zucchetta. I do occasionally have to sneak into my neighbor's yard to pick them :)

o

I bought a GJ today and now I'm trying to figure out where the best spot for her is. I originally wanted to grow her over an arbor that is also the entrance to my yard. BUT I see she is very thorny and don't want her scratching my family. I think she may be good growing a few feet before the arbor- grown to climb up my fence. Any suggestions on the best way to achieve this? Should I fan her out and just have a few canes growing tall or do I need to grow her up something else? Thanks in advance

o

Lisa, your GJ is lovely! I miss that rose so much. Lots of folks say she is stingy with bloom; mine never was and yours certainly is not! When I moved, she was on my list of roses to take but she had sort of become 5 interconnected large plants over the years and digging her out seemed impossible so I left her behind and now I am sad. I will have to order a replacement for next year. She was always the rose that I just had to stop and bury my nose in when I was in the yard. :-)
Anne

o

Looks good. Don't chain link fences become beautiful when they are covered in roses?

Folly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here