Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Mystery OGR growing in an empty lot behind my house

TNY78
12 years ago

Can anyone give me some suggestions regarding what type of rose this might be? It is growing in some brush of an empty lot behind my house in Knoxville, TN. It is once-blooming, strong old rose scent, about 8ft wide x 4ft tall, and I believe it is an old garden rose since it is not a rebloomer and because of the shape of the buds. The size/shape of the buds is similar to Rose de Rescht, but the foliage and petals are both a lighter color than rose de rescht. Maybe 'Gros Choux d'Hollande?' Help! Thanks :)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i192/tny78/wildrose2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i192/tny78/wildrose5.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:273438}}

Comments (10)

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

I live about 20 miles northeast of Knoxville. Did it just start to bloom or has it been in bloom for a week or two?

Sometimes the order of bloom helps put a rose into a catagory.

(I notice the companion planting of honeysuckle. Definitely a classic combo.)

Is it in half day shade? Sometimes the amount of sunlight will affect the shade of pink that the blooms have.

Growth habit? Lots of stems coming out of the ground with short laterals and blooms on the end of each lateral or a big mass of blooms with only a few (ten or twelve) major massive woody canes?

• oath5
    12 years ago

Could be 'Russelliana'

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Russelliana'

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Could it be 'De la Grifferie'? At least around here, that pops up in old gardens a lot because long ago it was used as rootstock.

Jackie

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It began to bloom about a week ago...grows in full sun...In the attached link, it grows similar to Growth Habit #1 (and the rose in the picture looks alot like my rose..hmm) My house is in a subdivision that used to be farmland, and the lot that I back up to was where the original farmhouse sat (which is now long gone), but the developer never developed the lot for whatever reason...so I have a feeling this rose has been there many years. The brush that it is growing in is filled with honeysuckle and blackberries. Also it has mostly tiny prickles, but some larger ones that tend to arch downward. Can't tell if it throws up suckers because of all the brush around it. It's a mystery!

Here is a link that might be useful: growth habit

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Is this rose on private property or would you be able to take some cuttings.

Many of these old roses are very easy to propagate---

It is a lovely rose and worth saving

Florence

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

Right now, my Centifolias are blooming. My damasks are a bit ahead of them.

The one thing that is also a variable is "once blooming". Rather often, in east Tennessee, I've seen or been given a rose that "only blooms in spring" only to find that given a bit better soil and less competition for sunlight (weeds win, you know) and rainfall through summer, that the once bloomer will repeat in the fall.

If you can get a bit of it with supporting roots and grow it for two years, you'll know if it's a once bloomer for real or a once bloomer by circumstance. (I am hoping that you might have one of the early Hybrid Perpetuals rather than a centifolia, just because our part of the country has so few found HPs.)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

No clue but it is beautiful. What a find!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help. I do appreciate it :) I am going to try to take some cuttings and put it into my own garden. I have about 80 roses in my garden, but none exactly like this one. It will be a good addition. I always laugh every year when I see neighbors take cuttings from it...apparenty it has caught everyone's eye over the years!

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

When you take cuttings, try some that are "Y" shaped, where a stem emerges from an older stem. Healed cuttings as well. IF those don't take, wait until fall and repeat; some OGRs are simply more successful when taken in fall.

• barbarag_happy
    12 years ago

No clue here either, and I can usually identify OGR's.

It's exciting to see a rose that I've never seen before, thanks for sharing!