Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Garden Sheds

Kippy
9 years ago

I would love to see your garden sheds, either for real or fantasy ones. Any thing you really love about yours?

I am starting on a new shed at the very bottom of the property...and right where it seems to block the view of our yard from someones balcony hang out....gee how odd. I just put up the shell today to look and see if we like it. Still have a lot of framing to do and then will reuse the siding I salvaged from the old shed. And the old tin roof and a vintage window.

Going to call it "The Potting Shed". White Lady Banks is planted close behind and I hope see will swallow all but the door and window.

Comments (33)

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Kippy, below is a picture of one of my sheds. What I like about it is that it holds stuff, while looking appropriate to the setting. I've done several others, and will post pictures if I can find them.

jannike

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

That's a lovely shed, Jannike! If you ever feel the urge to build another one, I'll give you my address :)

This is my dream shed:

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Errr, wrong photo. Still, not a bad shed.

9 years ago

Okay, I found a few more pictures. The shed pictured below I designed and built from scratch with discarded materials and cull wood from Home Depot. I had a pile of old recycled ragged-edge cedar boards, but not enough for the shed, so I purchased 12' cedar planks and bashed the heck out of them so I could finish the project. I used old discarded windows, with split logs below. None of the windows match, but there's a funky charm to the look. This shed has an interesting helter-skelter curved roof which is not shown. If I find a picture of the whole shed, I'll post it.

What I like about it? It's fun to use other people's trash in an artistic and useful way.

jannike

I apologize -- the smaller I make the image, the larger Garden Web blows it up, so I'm not posting the photo that goes with this post. If someone can tell me what the trick is in posting a reasonably sized image, or how to control the size of your images on this forum, I have several shed pictures I can share. I know how to adjust the size on my end -- I just don't know what Garden Web wants or why they make some of my images considerably larger than they should be. Thanks.

9 years ago

Muscovyduckling, I've built plenty of sheds, but none of them look quite like your dream one. Wanna trade?

I'll take your address. I do enjoy visiting Australia.

jannike

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Hehe Jannike, if that were really my shed I don't think I'd trade it for the world! Do let us know when you're planning a trip to Oz though :)

This is my actual dream shed. A little more manageable, methinks.

9 years ago

Very pretty -- love it! And that one would be easy to do, too.

jannike

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Easy, she says! Maybe so. But I am the world's worst DIY-er. The Worst.

(Of course, this doesn't stop me from filling the garage with a collection of old doors, much to my DH's dismay. I live in hope).

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Muscovy. I want that one too

Love the slabs as siding Jannike.

I hope this one turns out as I see it in my mind :). Looking forward to seeing the old silvered barn wood up to hide the utilitarian osb. It has to be I
    Usable and not just decorative so the old siding was not strong enough

I think I will look for a warm peach yellow for paint on a door if I have to use new wood and around the window. A salvaged 6 over I panel

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

You can just see the top of it....but the bottom continues in the same tatty (and well hidden) style of disarray

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Jannike,
    I use a Mac so this may not work if on a pc.
    Display your file then click and hold on the lower right hand corner of the displayed file. Drag it upward and to the left. That will resize it on your screen.
    Next take a screen shot of the area you want to post, save it as a .jpeg to another file, then post that file.
    To take a screen shot, first press; shift, command, control, and the 4 key. You will get a different looking mouse arrow. Move the mouse to the upper corner of the area you want to display, then click and drag downward selecting the area. Once you let up on the mouse the selection is saved on the clipboard. You can paste it into other programs or open the Preview program and save from clipboard. Give the file a name and then post that file. Make sure you use the correct commands for the screen shot or you will the whole screen. Not the best directions but they do workâ¦. Everyone owns a Mac, right? lol
    If you start off with a file that was make up of many mega bytes of data the screen shot will reduce the value down to Kbytes, which is great for posting.

Hope that helps. tool belt

In case you miss part of your selection just redo the shift/command/control/4 and start over. The old clipboard is wiped clean and the new is stored.

This post was edited by Toolbelt68 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:11

9 years ago

Toolbelt, thanks for the instructions. I do know how to resize photographs. What I can't figure out is how to post in the size I want on Garden Web. Some aren't resized too badly. Others are blown up so huge, they're fuzzy. And if I resize them smaller, Garden Web blows them up even bigger and fuzzier.

What do I need to do to post the size I want on this forum? I like a size no bigger than what fits on most people's screens, in the 500 - 1000 pixel range. Garden Web makes some of my photos three times that size -- awful.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

My brother designed and built our shed and I love it! BTW, don't look at all those huge roses in the pots in front of it. Most of them died this past winter! :-(

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Fab sheds everyone. I did actually re-felt the roof of mine (note the missing felt in pic) although have still not got around to adding fascias. Kind of liking the general tattiness of mine though, as the many gaps and holes admit an array of small creatures such as nesting birds and woodmice (although there is no leaving seeds and bulbs about)......but I would be more than chuffed with a smart new one.
    Very heartbreaking, Seil - hope the summer brings enough flowery blooming to prevent getting too demoralised.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so sorry about all those big potted roses Seil.

Camps I hope to just see the face of the shed in a few years. I want a bigger shed by the veggie garden with an attached green house. But that will have to wait

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Jannike,

The picture you see on your screen is displayed at 72 pixel/inch even if the file contains 600 pixels/inch. That is why taking a screen shot works. You just size the picture to the size you want it to be, take the screen shot, and that is what should be displayed. You have to save the screen shot into a separate file or you may end up posting the original.

Toolbelt
    PS. Everyone else, sorry for the extra postings, just trying to help.....

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have spent a couple more days working on the shed. Got a few ideas and added some peg board, lots of shelves, and some pockets for holding the shorter tools in the wall cavities.

I am going to paint the exterior with some oops chocolate paint, then paper and use the old barn wood and the roof needs the tin.

But it is getting there. Still have not figured out what I want the door to look like.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

Great sheds everyone! I don't have a shed, don't really need one as I keep all tools in the basement and do most potting up there if I don't use the outside potting table. But I still want a shed and have a small collection of tall old windows for the day when I feel I mush have a shed or perhaps a combined shed and green house. I've had some inspiration from you all.

My basement in winter.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Kippy-the-Hippy,

A multi paned door would look great. It would let in light on overcast days should you be out there working. I would also make it two doors that latch in the middle. That way when it's open you don't have a door sticking way out in the yard.

Toolbelt

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I want this one.

{{!gwi}}

I'm not very practical.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Posting pictures

The easiest way by far it to upload your pictures to a photo hosting site that resizes them for you, then paste that link onto your message. I have used Photobucket for years. It works reliably.

Folly

• cath41
    9 years ago

Hoovb,

That's an orangery and I have always wanted one... twice that big. So that must make me twice as impracticable.

Cath

• Evenie
    9 years ago

Since we're dreaming, this is the one I want. I think it's actually a (wealthy) child's playhouse, but I'll take it anyway.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

You mean everybody doesn't do potting from a wheelbarrow full of compost? I've been doing it all wrong!

Seriously, I would love at least a potting bench, if not a whole shed, but I am hereby announcing my intent to run against muscovyduckling for her Worst DIY-er Ever crown...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I pot in a garbage-can lid. A wheelbarrow full of compost sounds like a major upgrade.

So that must make me twice as impracticable.
    Or your taste is twice as good.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

We use garbage can lids for birdfeeder baffles. They aren't completely squirrel-proof, but they do slow the gray devils down a bit.

It IS a rather nice wheelbarrow, if I do say so myself...

I just used it to pot up almost 30 camellia seedlings someone gave me, and, yes, I must be crazy to accept so many seedlings when I have too many already. But I am convinced that my scheme to get the neighborhood to dig up their ligustrums (disgustrums) in exchange for my seedling camellias will eventually be a resounding success!

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Evenie, I wish that was my house! Hoovbs too.

I would love to put a glass door on it like Muscovy's photo, but the foot print is so tiny (37x69) to the outer walls, I need every square inch for storage. I plan to put in hooks for one of the plastic wheel barrows, it would be all you would see through the glass anyway.

I want to be able to hang gloves, paper towers, plastic rack, loppers, clippers etc all on the door so it has to be sound. Unfortunately, the barn wood is not sound and I don't think that OSB will stand up to the use either. It gets super dusty down there so a nice tight seal would be wonderful. I think I will have to use plywood with the barnwood glued to the front. But I will also have to trim to work with hinges and that is where I am at a stand still design wise. I am trying to do it cheap or that would not be as big of a deal. I could use fence pickets and paint them so it does not look so odd with the old and the new.

It will tell me what I want.

I feel a tad (only a tad) guilty about having two garden sheds. But we have a big garden and one is at the top of the hill and the new is at the bottom. It will help to have less of a walk.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Kippy,

I wonder if you could reduce the dustiness of the area by putting down some gravel in the area surrounding the shed?

Possibly not effective or too expensive, but if you had a cheap source, it might help? Breathing in dust isn't so great for respiratory health, so a solution to the dust problem might pay for itself there...

I wouldn't feel guilty about a second shed- your neighbor's balcony doesn't sound like it's gonna screen itself.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vmr, gravel or DG would be great if we did not have chickens. They scratch and dig. This is the low point in the property and is made up of eons of fine sandy/gritty top soil. We have covered it with inches of mulch but the hens dig to find the fine stuff for dust bathes.

It is funny to see them covered in dust in their holes under the canes of a thorny rose I have to protect the new plants from them usually with a wire cage

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Gotcha! I don't keep chickens, but a friend who does told me about this dust-bathing thing. It sounds like it would be pretty funny to watch.

She had trouble keeping them out of the garden until she started putting dust in a chicken-sized "bath tub" for them. She put it in the coop away from food/water, and they seem to like the convenience of it, and her plants get less interaction with the chickens, so for her it's worth having to clean out the tub from time to time.

• cath41
    9 years ago

Hoovb,

Ooh, I like that. Good taste is so much more saleable than impracticality.

Cath

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 15:06

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Vintage photo filter

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 15:08