Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attn: Ingrid Unknown rose

Posted by zeffyrose_pa6b7 6b7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 23:08

Hi Ingrid-----I posted a picture of an unknown rose and you wondered what it was----someone on a previous post suggested it could be Shailor's Provence---

I'm so happy I took the cuttings because right after I did this rose was bull-dozed

Hope this helps
Florence

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attn: Ingrid Unknown rose

Shailer's Provence, in the Old Sacramento City Cemetery:

Photobucket

Jeri Jennings

o

Florence, I looked this rose up and see that Shailer's Provence is a once-blooming rose. Does yours bloom only in the spring? If the identification is correct, this rose would not do well in my garden, but just to see this rose and know it's in your garden is enough for me. Rarely have I seen a rose picture that blew me away as much as the one you posted. Thank you so much for kindly giving me this update.

Ingrid

o

That beauty was bull-dozed??? Unthinkable!

o

Ingrid---it is a once bloomer---I also have another old rose that was here when I moved in which looks very much like this one---I find trying to identify old roses a daunting task .
Rhonda--I have a friend who lives over in N.J. and several years ago she called one day to tell me this was was going to be bulldozed to make room for a bigger parking lot where her DH was working---She said the rose was perfuming the whole area----So I quickly ran over there and took a few cuttings --the result is the gorgeous bush in my yard---
My friend called the very next day and said the old rose was gone----Thank goodness I do have two bushes and DD has one-----
It is very fragrant---

Florence

o

Florence, I think what you did is wonderful and just in the nick of time! They should have built the parking lot around that rose. We have zillions of parking lots but how many roses like that do you see around? Your specimen is breath-taking!

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here