Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjrosaphile

Does anyone grow William Shakespeare as a Climber?

cjrosaphile
9 years ago

Love the blooms of my WS but its shrub shape is difficult to difficult with near perpendicular shoots. I was wondering if anyone has grown it as a climber and had success, because I would try just to keep it in my garden and not have its gangly canes laying on the ground haphazardly.

Comments (11)

• joopster
    9 years ago

I'm thinking about getting this next Spring. Can you share pics of yours WS with me please?

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

Are you talking about WS or WS2000? I'm not familiar with the former but WS2000 has an open spreading habit. It can become a nice full but open bush with judicious pruning starting at an early age (which in a warm climate means pruning often and by a little). I doubt it can be trained as a well behaved short climber but then I have been often surprised by what people manage to do with roses I consider unmanageable.
    Nik

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My WS2000 does not show any tendency toward growing in a way that might be adaptable to climbing. On the other hand, if you have a fence that isn't too tall, it could probably be extended a bit sideways on both sides--giving it somewhat the appearance of a climber (trained sideways) and also solving the support problem caused by the heavy extended flowering canes. Two birds in one bush--couldn't be better! : )

Kate

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

WS2000 was a runty little bush here with no aptitude for climbing, but may behave differently in your climate.

• cjrosaphile
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe mine is a William Shakespeare (not 2000). Here's a photo of one of it's blooms. Hard to take photos on the shrub with all of it's floppy growth. Love the blooms and fragrance. I'm going to experiment and try growing it as a climber. . .couldn't hurt.

• buford
    9 years ago

I would be happy if my WS2000 climbed to 2 feet tall.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Cjrosaphile, I have stretched the non 2000 Wm Shakespeare into a modest climber in past gardens. Ditto Tradescant. Since I garden in the Pacific NW, too, it is likely that you will be able to achieve similar results with your Wm Shakespeare. Patient training is required, but in the end the result is quite pretty. Carol

• joopster
    9 years ago

That rose is lovely cjrosaphile. I may add that to my garden next Spring.

• User
    9 years ago

I would be happy if my WS2K reached 18" tall.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My WS2000 is about 4 ft tall and 5 ft wide. It is maybe 6-7 years old.

It has awkward and rather unwieldy canes once they mature, so if you are going to tie the canes to something to help them "climb," I'd do it while the canes are younger and more flexible.

Kate

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

I should add, as others have noted, WS 2000 did NOT make a climber for me. Only the original WS did so. WS was not a big climber but a fence rose. Carol