Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug problem?

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 0:08

Sorry for no photos, but what bug in SoCal is most likely to cause buds not to open? And what bugs eat the bad ones? Not balled from humidity.

In the lower part of the garden I have a bunch of new roses, seems like most every one has buds that something ruined. I don't have the issue in the upper garden, but those roses have been there a lot longer and I am guessing that what ever is damaging the buds is already being eaten by good bugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug problem?

Thrips??? I've seen some thrips, on light-colored roses this odd spring.

And I have had some guard petals damaged by morning fogs, preventing blooms from opening, until I removed them.

o

Kippy, I'd guess thrips, too. Try googling "thrips rose damage" and see if your buds match the photos. Carol

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 20:25

Preying Mantis seemed to have helped my Thrips problem. They eat everything and anything, even tiny Thrips.

o

Hmm Might have to find me some Mantis. I know we have some small bugs that I can find in the petals and I do get a rose or two that something munches, guessing the new roses in the new areas are on the menu. Funny cause roses just feet away are fine

o

If it is thrips, they really concentrate on light-colored roses.

I have seen, tho, some oddities. For instance, Sombreuil, Cl., gets thrips here, but the blooms never show any damage.

o

Thrips & rose midge do in my roses sometimes.
Rose midge either leaves a dry dusty begining of a bud or this. The thrip bores into the base of the bud and eats from the inside!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here