Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Nipstress, Re: "Drama Queen" Poppy Seeds

Hi Nipstess!

I know you mentioned you don't check your home email frequently so I thought I'd mention here that the 'Drama Queen' seeds have come out well if you'd like for me to send you some. I emailed you, but there's no rush. Hope you're doing well!

Jay

Comments (14)

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Hi Jay

Thanks for posting again - that is puzzling, since I sent you a return email from my work address (that I use more often) last week Monday. I think I got the address correct, but I'll go back into my home email and send it from that address in case it makes a difference. I appreciate your generous offer, and I can send a SASE if you like for the seeds, or trade you some of those purple columbine and Patty's Plum poppies as soon as they ripen (another two weeks at least is my guess).

Sorry for the confusion, and I appreciate you sticking with me!

Cynthia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh dear, perhaps it went into a spam folder or something? In any event, I just got your email and I'll keep the conversation there. I'm sorry it looked like I was not responding for some time!

Jay

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Jay, do you have pictures of the Pam's Choice you bought for your mom?

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Pam's Choice' arrived in bud, but since giving it to her for Mother's Day I haven't been there with a chance to take a picture while it's in flower. From what I understand it hasn't had a flower since the one it arrived with, but I can take a picture of the potted up plant soon if you'd like.

I believe she described the bloom form as barely semi-double and unlike the pictures, but with mostly the right color tone. I doubt the first bloom on a band sized plant is the best judge anyway, but I'll be sure to post some when I visit and the plant is in bloom. The photos on HMF are what sold her, but it may be some time before it produces flowers of that quality.

Boule de Neige on the other hand has been pumping out beautiful blooms from a plant that I received as a band in January I believe.

Jay

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Yes, the pictures of Pam's Choice on HMF are what's selling me.
    I recently received a nice sized band of Lavender Pinocchio.
    It was also in bud upon arrival. I can't wait for the next flush!

BTW, who was Arbutus?

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arbutus is a genus of plants. Arbutus unedo is commonly called the Strawberry Tree. The name unedo refers to the fact that many people eat (edo is latin for 'I eat') only one (the un- prefix) of the tree's berries and stop. I happen to like the way they taste and refer to the trees personally as omnedo (I eat all). I planted a full size variety at my parents' place recently and I've had a dwarf cultivar called 'Oktoberfest' for a few years.

There's a very large California/PNW native variety called Arbutus menziesii that is a stunner where it grows well. I've noticed more cities in California planting Arbutus as part of landscaping projects of late.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 23:10

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got them in the mail today, Nipstress! Let me know if 'Danebrog' or 'Persian Princess' appeal to you as well. I can get them out pretty easily now that I have some padding.

And if you're still checking this thread mauvegirl, there were 4-6 buds on Pam's Choice today that are probably a good week from opening. I'll try to swing by again next weekend to take some pictures of the blooms.

Jay

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

sounds good Jay.

9 years ago

Hi Jay

Thanks for sending those out! I am in no rush at this point, and will be happy with whatever comes in the mail. Poppies tend to do pretty well for me, so if you have some extras of the other unusual ones they certainly were stunning from your pictures. As I mentioned in a recent email, I've already harvested some of those purple columbine seeds and I think the Patty's Plum poppies should be ready by the end of the week to send to you as well.

I appreciate you thinking of me and will look forward to seeing those when they arrive.

Cynthia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mostly have 'Cupani's Original' and two varieties I couldn't name -one light blue and purple, one very dark purple- but if you're interested in Sweet Peas, I have plenty of extras of those as well. I'll also be harvesting some blended Nigella seeds and possibly some 'Thai Silk' California Poppies that did very well here soon. I should have plenty of extras.

Jay

9 years ago

Hi Jay

Sorry to be slow getting back to you - your Drama Queen seeds arrived today and they look terrific! Thanks for sending these!

As for other generous offers, you should know I rarely turn down offers of fascinating seeds like the ones you describe, but I don't want to get greedy (smile). All of the plants you mention are ones I like that usually do well for me, and the various poppies and Sweet Peas and Nigella would be very welcome if you have extras. In fact, I'd forgotten about Nigella in this house's yard but I use to have that in my old yard, and it's a nice filler around other plants that ties them together. Maybe it would establish better than my repeated tries at reseeding larkspur.

Now that I have your address, why don't I send you those columbine and Patty's Plum seeds (I can't think of any other seeds I have to trade), plus a self-addressed stamped envelope for anything else you feel like sending. Since I'm in your debt in this trade, I'm happy to send the envelope, and I have plenty of moderate sized padded envelopes I can use for the purpose.

Please don't put yourself out too much in this trade, as I am one of those "more is better" gardeners and have trouble saying "no" in these cases. Suit yourself, and I'm already happy with these poppy seeds!

Thanks for doing this

Cynthia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That would be terrific! I'll be getting at least some of the other Poppies out -if not some Sweet Peas and Nigella also- in the next few days. I'm pretty sure I went overboard on the stamps, but I was happier to play it safe. I am really glad they made it to you in good shape on my first try sending seeds through the mail! I can send some seeds out in the next few days and then put whatever isn't ready by then (some of the Nigella need a bit more time) in the envelope you provide later possibly? I came upon a packet of larger envelopes so I can probably send three or four types of seeds at once.

I'm more than happy to share any extra seeds with someone who really cares about plants/gardening/horticulture! I can't tell you how great of an outlet GW has been. I know far too few contemporaries/friends of mine who have any interest in gardening whatsoever. Perhaps eventually we can swap cuttings, but if it's more of a one sided seed share for some time, that's not a problem with me.

Jay

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia,

I just got home and received your package. Wow! What wonderful little packets for seeds! I'll have to look for those. Thank you so much for the Columbine and Poppies! I look forward to seeing them next year.

I finally finished collecting the Nigella, so I should be getting those out with some more Poppies and Sweet Peas in the next few days. My packaging should be a bit more refined this time!

Jay

9 years ago

Hi Jay

I'm glad everything arrived intact! The return envelope is already stamped, so whatever strikes your fancy whenever is totally fine with me.

I'm glad you liked the seed packets! I don't think they'd be for sale anywhere - a friend made them for me in exchange for some seeds. I think there's something to do with a hot press that puts the color on the (coin) envelopes, but I'm not very crafty in general. The coin envelopes themselves are available from any office store but I needed my friend to make them pretty.

The columbine are very nice and a deep purple that stands out in the late spring garden. They reseed nicely and seem to be a dominant strain, at least in my yard. Good thing they're so pretty I guess!

Thanks for the trade!

Cynthia