Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morrisnoor

A new flowering season in my sardinian garden

morrisnoor
16 years ago

Hi guys :o), I'm thinking it's time to share whith all you the beauty that this spring is giving me. Indeed, a very strange and unusual spring!

The warm season seems to have started early, whith january, february and march hotter than ever, making all my plants going crazy. We also have had no rain in these months, tipically part of the -few- humid months of the year. At the beginnin of april, the garden was "petrified" in an unreal atmosphere. Luckyly comes the rain, and I was amazed by the lush of the new growth produced in such a short time! Day by day, new leafs, buds and vigorous shoots appear all round the garden, bringing new life to him :o), and to me, too!

Tea Rose are ever the first to flower. In the colder days they are able to show all their amazing beauty. 'Mlle Franziska Krueger', the Easter day, near the formal water pond,

{{gwi:275666}}

Or a young 'Rival the Paestum', in the "white and blue Mediterranean Garden", in her blue glazed pot in the back of a Dorycnium hirsutum bush.

Not far from her, 'Park's Yellow Tea Scented China'was covered whith glorious nodding blooms, in shades of ivory white, and just a touch of lemon in the centre. Can't wait to see the mature plant in flower. It takes some time...

{{gwi:275667}}

{{gwi:275668}}

They where accompanied in the garden by many bulbs, like these miniature daffodils, Narcissus 'Hawera'

{{gwi:275669}}

Or bluebells, Hyacinthoides hyspanica 'Blue City'

{{gwi:275670}}

Not only Roses, but also Rock-Roses... :o)))

x Halimiocistus x wintoniensis

{{gwi:275671}}

Or Cistus x purpureus 'Alan Fradd'

{{gwi:275672}}

But the season progresses... and "real" time for roses finally arrive!

Just a "hors d'oeuvre":

my beloved 'Mme Alfred Carrie' in the pergola near the house

{{gwi:275673}}
The Austin's 'Saint Swithun' (actually one of the best A. Roses)

{{gwi:275674}}

The deliciousely fragrant 'The Reeve'

{{gwi:275675}}

and 'Radio Times'... she smells like citrus peel

{{gwi:275676}}

A Meilland's Austin's like variety, 'Colette'

{{gwi:275678}}

Then come back to the original ones... 'Queen of Sweden'

{{gwi:275680}}

This Rose reminds me a bit another queen of the garden, the Bourbon 'Mme Pierre Oger'

{{gwi:275682}}

Pale pink and blush matches perfectly crimsons and purples: 'Cardinal Hume'

{{gwi:275683}}

The unusual 'Burgundy Iceberg' (a sport of 'Iceberg' found in Australia)

{{gwi:275684}}

Some vistas of the "Rose Garden": Roses, perennials, and self-sowing annual fillers

{{gwi:275685}}

{{gwi:275686}}

{{gwi:275687}}

... more coming soon ;o)

Comments (24)

• elkey_2007
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your garden is packed with beauty and splendour. Should I own a park one day, I would have you to landscape it.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

How beautiful it is! Thankyou.

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

Those pictures are just beautiful!
    alida

• regina_nv
    16 years ago

Maurizio,

With thanks to the wise soul who bumped your previous post back up to the top, I have gazed over and over at your earlier garden photos. You have created a wonderful masterpiece.

From your photos, I felt landscape architecture was your calling, then I read where you said that is exactly what you have chosen to do. Beautiful, beautiful work.

I am delighted that you are posting more of your photos here, and look forward to more of the lovely vistas. Thanks so much for posting them.

Regina

• jerome
    16 years ago

Maurizio, you are a great artist. The first picture is something to contemplate a long time. I only wish Mlle Kruger would do that here. Though our climates are similar there are some roses that you seem to do grow to perfection that just look like wads of toilet paper here Your vista shots are the stuff of "coffee-table-books" Thanks for sharing.

Jerome

• socalcook
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting pictures of your beautiful garden. Please post more!!

• anita22
    16 years ago

Dear Maurizio,

Thanks so much for sharing such beauty. Feast for the eyes and the soul.

• roselovr_in_eh
    16 years ago

Your garden is beautiful and your tour is charming. I especially like seeing the vistas.

Thank you for sharing.

George

• morrisnoor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi guys :o), you're very kind, and I'm so happy to share my pics here. It's like you are able to understand exactely what's behind the scenes :o))), my passion, my work and my efforts. This is very important for me. Thank you.
    I only regret not to be able to write better in english. Hope I will learn soon :op

I'll proceed with some other pictures!
    A group in the entrance border, with some yellow Austin's. In the foreground is the amazing 'Teasing Georgia', one of the very best yellow English Roses. This bush is 5 years old (average 2 meters wide - 1,5 m high) and every year it's covered with big fat flowers... In the background, 'Pat Austin' and 'Sombreuil' ( Colonial White)
    {{gwi:275689}}

Not too far, butterflyes are flying
    {{gwi:275690}}

Near the house, a bed of Convolvolus sabatius and Helichrysum petiolare, and the lovely Hybrid Bourbon-China 'Hermosa'
    {{gwi:275691}}

But now let me show you the "white and blue" Mediterranean Garden.
    A look from the entrance, with Phormium 'Apricot Queen', Tropaeolum 'Milkmaid' and Salvia africana-caerulea in the foreground. To the left background, the newly built greenhouse (greenhouse... she's so small.. greenroom!!!): I hope to see soon her roof eated by the Ladybanks 'Purezza' I've just planted behind...
    {{gwi:275692}}

A crossed view
    {{gwi:275693}}

and one of the borders (definitely overplanted!!!)
    {{gwi:275694}}

Here's a detail with 'Lamarque' in the rear of a stone seat.
    {{gwi:275695}}

The same corner, three weeks later: the Rose has changed, now it's time to 'Mermaid' ;o)
    {{gwi:259966}}

'White Meillandécor'in full flower with Briza maxima, a native annual grass
    {{gwi:275696}}

How beautiful can be 'Mrs Foley Hobbs'?? The blue "witch's hatch" is Pycnostachys urticifolia
    {{gwi:275698}}

A recently planted little beauty, 'Kronprinzessin Victoria',
    {{gwi:275699}}

Some "bearded" best friend for Roses...
    Iris "Misty Twilight"
    {{gwi:275700}}

and 'Bonnie Davenport', my favorite one
    {{gwi:275701}}

... Ciao! :o)

• carla17
    16 years ago

Thank you for the beautiful tour. Your gardens are lovely.

Carla

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

Some of your photos didn't link in; I'll check back as the server may be down. Just when you think it can't get any better, it does. It seems you have your worries, too, glad you finally got your rain.

I was going to ask about the yellow one, think that is the same as a beautiful shot in your other thread, but you have named them for us. I have Pat Austin, it was Teasing Georgia that I fell in love with. Sombrueil won't grow in my zone. I think TG may be one that won't either.

Everything blends together so seemingly seamlessly in your schemes, still it must take a lot of thought. Do you have any pest/disease, etc., problems? If so, how do you handle them?

Not only are you a master gardener, but you take wonderful photos, too! You have a good eye.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

SPEECHLESS !!!!!!!

Thanks for the tour !!!!

Florence

• robin_d
    16 years ago

Your garden is so beautiful it makes my heart ache just looking at it. Wow.

• roses_more_roses
    16 years ago

Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden, I dream of having a garden like yours! In addition to the landscaping and placement of your plants, everything looks so healthy, I know that your climate provides a challenge, so when I start to complain about my full sun and adobe clay soil I will have to visit your photos again for inspiration.

• emilyg
    16 years ago

So wonderful!

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Every time I see that you have posted, I get excited before I even get to the pictures because I know they are going to be fantastic. I am never disappointed. They are always AWESOME BEYOND BELIEF!!!!! I've never seen such beautiful roses or gardens. Please do not stop posting your beautiful pictures. They feed my soul.

You should seriously consider doing a book. I would buy it.

Thanks again for sharing such beauty.

Betty

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Wow! Absolutely stunning!

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Hi Maurizio, I've missed you! Thank you for the photo's of your beautiful garden. I wish I could walk those paths in person.

Carol

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Wow, wow, wow...Healthy plants, and such a combination of colors and plants. I am impressed and motivated to go dig more in my yard :)

Olya
    p.s. can i come live with you? hehehehehe

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

Very nice! I liked the colour coordination in your garden and your choice of perennials.

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Maurizio, what a beautiful home you have. Your love of plants is evident everywhere. I'm off to hunt for Briza - that was a wonderful new plant to discover. Happy summer.

Sue

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

wow! A pond with water lillies...how romantic is THAT!

• regina_nv
    16 years ago

Maurizio, more lovely work, thanks for showing us.

I think the photo of Le Vésuve reflecting in the pond with the counterpoint of the waterlily blooms might be my favourite photo of all those beautiful shots you have posted.

And your English is very good. yes, grooming is a fine choice of word for the loving care of a garden.

I'll be looking forward to the next infusion of beauty from Sardinia.

Regina