Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseberri

wild rose ID

roseberri, z6
9 years ago

greetings all,
I have not posted in awhile, but have come across this interesting little rose in my yard.
Generally I have trouble with Multiflora species roses trying to get a foot hold but I caught sight if this one the other day.
It is pale pink in bud which opens even paler and fades to white. It also is very nice as a cut flower and is on it's 5th day in a vase with no wilt or petal drop.
from what I could find the closest example was R.canina blondaerana(saw several spellings for this) could that be possible? I live in Central Ohio.

Comments (9)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Its obviously a multiflora hybrid of some sort. (see the stipule fringes to the left of the lower flower)

What do you grow that is diploid?

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

In agreement with Madgallica on the multiflora involvement.

Another hint might be in the abundant anthers in that bloom at 1 o'clock.

• roseberri, z6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for your answers! now my question is, should I remove it from the property? My understanding is that the mutiflora roses are carriers of the mites which spread Rose Rosette disease.

Mad gallica I grow Hansa , Theresa Bugnet, and Purple pavement roses. I don't know a lot about ploidy but looking it up this is what I found.
    roseberri

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

It's a lovely rose and right now isn't doing any harm. If it were mine, I'd keep it. (Which is what I do with my roses that are closely related to R. multiflora.)

Do watch it. When multifloras get sick, they show the problems quickly and that's good.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

If it is a healthy rose and you like it, there is no reason to remove it. Many roses, hybrids and species, are susceptible to RRD, but they would exhibit symptoms such as the witch's broom when they are carrying the disease. Multiflora is a chief carrier because it is so rampant and gets large & dense to catch mites traveling on the wind. Keeping it pruned medium sized can help prevent it catching RRD, and remove any rose at the first signs of infection.

• User
    9 years ago

I would get rid of it not because of the increased RRD risk, but because it will likely get too big for your space, and/or reproduce itself with abandon and then you will have a serious pest problem. People often believe R. multiflora is a native, because its ubiquitous in many areas, but in fact, it is an east Asian non-native, and has the potential to become invasive.

If you keep it (it can be a very beautiful large shrub when grown up into a tree), be aware of its potential to spread, and discourage it if you start seeing hordes of seedlings.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

The only reason R. multiflora "harbors" RRD is that multiflora runs wild in forest edges and vacant lots over most of the eastern half of the US, so it presents the biggest target for infected mites to land on. Being highly susceptible to the disease just means that, once infected, it gets sicker quicker, not that it is more likely to be infected or to be a carrier than other kinds.

• roseberri, z6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, I will keep an eye on it right now. We have a lot of space here, it is far away from my rose garden so that isn't a problem and I already am always fighting off all kinds of things in the tree rows bordering our property. Thank you all for your advice!
    roseberri

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It doesn't look "hybrid" to my eye, but a pretty normal variation of multiflora. Keep it if you want to run the risk because of the difference from the others in your garden, but yes, multiflora can quickly become an issue. Kim

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH