Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuderte

How tall will Lady Roberts grow?

tuderte
9 years ago

I've just bought Lady Roberts at a rose fair. She is in a 5 litre pot but is already 70 cms (2 feet 4 inches) tall and has a width of 50 cms (1 foot 8 inches). My rose has three fully open blooms, four partly open and half a dozen buds!

Help Me Find says that she grows to 4 feet, however, Jeri Jennings posted a photo of Lady Roberts at the Sacramento City Cemetery Historic Rose Garden in August 2012 on the Help Me Find website. This particular photo shows a woman standing next to Lady Roberts and the rose is clearly taller than she is. The woman appears to be of 'normal' (i.e. around 5' 6") height.

I would be very grateful if Jeri or anyone else who grows Lady Roberts in a Zone 9 garden could advise me on how tall she is ultimately likely to grow.

I've completely fallen in love with Lady Roberts and want to give her all the space she is likely to need without crowding her

Cheers
Tricia

Comments (8)

• JamieHarris1790
    9 years ago

Already 70 cm? Really? mine didn't grow so fast! :(

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I was very lucky with my rose! The grower from whom I bought it at the rose show had four or five Lady Roberts with him - I was actually hoping to get a Comtesse de Labarthe but he only had one and it was already sold.

As you can see from the photo (I hope I don't end up with another question mark instead of a photo in my message)
    it really is quite a good-sized plant already.

Cheers
    Tricia

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Oh, that picture is just beautiful. Fantastic looking plant!

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Lady Roberts is supposed to be a color sport of Anna Olivier. My Anna Olivier (which is pressed up against the wall of our house, growing in the 18 inches between the wall and the driveway) gets 12 feet high (see pic). I think if it was grown alone in a spacious bed it would not grow that tall, but would be wider.

Jackie

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Just lovely!

I have no idea how big it will grow over time. I grow Anna Olivier and Lady Roberts both, in the same bed (the Olive Tree Garden) but not side by side. I am looking forward to seeing the difference in a few years. At this point my AO an adolescent while LR is a toddler. AO comes as a cutting from the garden of a generous friend. It is hard to find commercially. The Bermuda version of Anna Olivier is actually a different rose, probably Etoile de Lyon. I grow Etoile de Lyon as well, another toddler, off in the Pine Tree Garden. Well, at least they are not babies any more!

I am blessed with more ground space than water, but I put the space to the best use I can.

Folly

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

I have lusted after Lady Roberts and Anna Olivier for awhile now. I had purchased Lady Roberts from RVR, I think, band size, and sadly, it died during the first summer. I mourned that death. I also tried to buy Anna Olivier and it turned out to be Bermuda Anna Olivier, which is really Etoile de Lyon, I believe. It's a nice rose but not Anna Olivier.

Would love to grow either of these! Thanks for listening to my story of woe!

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie, I agree with Folly your Anna Olivier is absolutely glorious â¦. and so tall! I think I'll leave plenty of space around Lady Roberts so she can grow as tall as she pleases.

I'm planning to develop an area for tea roses and old roses - about 12 metres (roughly 40 feet) wide by 16 metres (roughly 52 feet) long - in my garden. At the moment it's just grass and very tough weeds (think giant thistles with enormous tap roots). So, I have a lot of work to do before I start planting. Did I mention that I have the worst clay soil imaginable??? Now that Summer is upon us it will be impossible to dig a hole in it, even with a pickaxe, until September.

So far the roses I have for this area are Lady Hillingdon, Safrano, Lady Roberts, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Old Blush, Cecile Brunner, and three or four unknown old tea roses that I've grown from cuttings taken at our local cemetery. Sorry, I digress â¦.

Cheers
    Tricia

• User
    9 years ago

There was (until fall 2013, when the homeowner destroyed it) a very old specimen of 'Lady Roberts' in Corvallis that was 12 by 9 feet, varying in height and width depending on the whims of the owner and their need to prune it to fit its site. Sadly, it is no more. It was a magnificent specimen.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH