Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

4 yr old Austins sprouting long canes

Hello. I know there is lots of talk regarding Austins and "octopus canes". I don't think these canes are doing that. I think they are just shooting out like Teas sometimes do. They are basal canes on Jude and Heritage.
Do I prune them now? Both are topped with clusters of "candelabra" buds.
Thanks!
Susan

Comments (5)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I prop up the longer canes with candelabras of buds (they are sometimes weak and have trouble carrying all that end-weight) and enjoy the candelabra blooms. Then I cut back that longer cane to slightly shorter than the other canes on the bush--and perhaps give it another small trim after the next blooming if it looks like it might want to grow taller again. Usually at that point, it gets the lesson and stays about the right size--with maybe an occasional snip between bloomings to remind it to fit in with the other canes. Usually the spring pruning takes care of that problem, however.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 9:27

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I've staked them til they bloomed and then taken them as they continued to grow and curled them around a short standing trellis like a climber. By curving them downward I get more laterals and more blooms. It really depends on what look you're after though.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all for the information. Jude can get as big as he wants to get!
    Susan

• gringo
    9 years ago

You may wish to contact them by email, regarding this. In the catalog, it mentions 'Heritage' at 7 feet, when allowed to grow taller. As I don't really know which you have, as it is actually offered in Climbing form, and since they offer it as such, its only a matter of which form you have & if you have the shrub form, then just a matter of pruning it, to keep it at the desired height, by following their own instructions to remove 18" in warm climates & repeating it through the season, to encourage more compact growth. (While leaving a few inches to allow it to produce fresh new shoots, to repeat flowering...)

But, it would seem to follow, that the non-climber form of' Heritage' may require a slightly greater amount of pruning of at minimum, several extra inches, to keep it closer to 5 ft. than some others may require.

• gringo
    9 years ago

As an aside note, the 'Heritage' I sent to my sister in Hawaii (being a year round, warmer climate) took this into account prior & planted it below the edge of here deck, to have the flowers closer to her height to enjoy from the deck & not have to worry as much about pruning it to perfection...

Not that I think it's much of a problem as it may seem, with some others reaching that 7 foot height, as ' Heritage' . Particularly since it looked to appear to be rather thornless, anyways.