Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mendocino_rose

More Ramblers

mendocino_rose
10 years ago

Here are some more ramblers from yesterday's picture taking.
This is Chevy Chase growing in Felicite et Perpetue.
{{gwi:276936}}
This is Mrs. FW Flight. You can also see a bit of Guadalupe Volunteer. I grow a lot of climbers on these arches made with rebar. They're very inexpensive.
{{gwi:276938}}
This is a closeup of my favorite rambler, Gruss an Brienegg. It is growing freestanding. The canes arch over and then make a jillion laterals. I love the color combo.
{{gwi:276940}}
This rose is called Rosary. It has a very long bloom.
{{gwi:276941}}
I love this kind of profusion. Here are Guadalupe Volunteer on right, Geschwend's Shonste on left, the white further in is Mary Lovett and the red in the distance is Chevy Chase growing on a pillar.
{{gwi:276942}}

Comments (33)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I can't imagine what it must be like to stand there in the middle of all that.

• sowandgrow
    10 years ago

Gorgeous view you have! We have all flat land here. Beautiful roses. Thank you for the pictures, just what I needed with my coffee this morning. If you would could you explain how you make the arches with the rebar. I love the look of that. I am especially curious how you bend it. I am just starting my rose garden and would be interested in trying to make one.

• jeannie2009
    10 years ago

Ramblers are quickly becoming my favorite category. Thank you for sharing your lovelies.

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

I like the word you used, 'profusion.' Synonyms are
    abundance, extravagance, opulence, overlow, flood, wealth, prosperousness. All those seem to fit ramblers.

I hope the fragrance matches, Pam.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Another simply lovely group, overwhelming in its opulence. I especially love the second picture, both for the beautiful ramblers and the background view. The dark wooded hills form a wonderful background to all that color.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    10 years ago

ABSOLUTELY stunning!

Jeri

• fogrose
    10 years ago

I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to have visited your garden twice and appreciate firsthand the work of art you have created.

Always nice to revisit in pictures.

Diane

• cath41
    10 years ago

Mendocino,

I tried to look up Shonste on Help Me find but there was no entry. Can you tell us more about that rose; color, bloom size, fragrance, hardiness zone, size of plant, length of time blooming, etc.?

Cath

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Your photos make me so looking forward to the few ramblers I've managed to wedge in the past year or two. All I've got left are the "outskirts", as far as real estate goes, but if any rose can deal with that, I'm imagining ramblers can. Thanks for these inspiring views of overwhelming beauty!

Cath, the link for Geschwind's Schönste on HMF is below (the problem is that ö).

Here is a link that might be useful: Geshwind's Schönste

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

It must be an amazing experience to visit Mendocino Rose's garden. The more I look, the more I feel certain that the beautiful pictures can't even come close to capturing the reality. How lucky you are, Fogrose, to have been there in person!

The second photo is especially stunning, it makes me feel a little dizzy with the slope of the hills in the distance. My imagination tells me that one could probably feel a little dizzy there from the fragrance of the roses as well :)

I am wondering about making the arches from rebar too. Is it something a relatively strong woman could do on her own?

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Magical! Light and dark combos like Chevy and Felicite are stunningly dramatic. Sigh. Back to my postage stamp garden.... --Carol

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Heaven.

My neighbor Luanne praised your garden to me, it sounded like a dream, with a thousand lovely fragrances. .

Lux

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

About the rebar arches. I got the idea from the Sacramento Cemetery Rose garden. You need two lengths of rebar and four pieces of something like conduit. We pound the conduit into the ground first. My husband and I work as a team. I stand in the middle of a rebar while he bends it. Then I put one end into the conduit and he bends some more and puts the other end into the conduit across the path. We repeat the process with another length running one over the other and then wire them at the top. I then attach wire for the roses to climb on in kind of a Jacob's Ladder way. This photo show the tops of them without roses.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I love those rebar arches.

I wonder if that would be good for my screening out the neighbors since I could also attach to the chainlink fence since it is on our side of the property.

Are those the 20 foot half inch rebar?

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, it's 3/4 inch for more strength. Also I forgot to add that the rods go in on say the left conduit on one side and the right on the other so they are crossing.

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

Thank you for the information about the rebar arches, Pam! I've been trying to think of an economical solution to three areas where I've planted climbers that I want to train for arches and one pair is ready for training already. I am not familiar with conduit, is it something like piping? Obviously it must be hollow so that you can fit the rebar into it. Is it made from metal or heavy plastic? What lengths do you cut? I'm guessing that you pound the lengths of conduit into the ground with a heavy mallet. Could you describe your wiring technique a little more? What gauge do you use? Do you just twist it tight to the rebar or do you use some sort of fasteners to hold it in place? How long has the wire held up for you? Thank you if you have time to answer my questions. And I will thank you every time I walk under my arches :)

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Here is The Garland, my pride&joy. She about to get a massive hair cut because I have to have the carport upon which she is building taken down and rebuilt. Hopefully, she will spring back. I am having the builder add on trellis bars for her and one other, on this side and for on the other side for Madame Alfred C and one more on the other side. I'd like one that has some rebloom. I'm about to put in a last order to VG, so any suggestions are welcome.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I don't see the 3/4 on the HD in store website, but I am there enough to qualify for an apron...lol...so I will check next visit.

I bet with much of the arch wired to the chainlink fence it would be okay with the lighter weight. But would want the heavier for any place some one is walking under it.

Is it sad that I dream of a lumber rack for my little truck...lol

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Mendocino County is my personal idea of Eden. Just those few small bits of mountain in the background make me want to get in my car and DRIVE THERE!

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Conduit is like piping. It is what people run wiring through. I think you could also use plastic pipe for the job. It's probably easier to cut. I think we use something like 2 foot lengths and there's perhaps 6 inches above the ground. I just use something like baling wire for the wiring. Galvanized or steel wire is more expensive but would last longer. I would also add that you needn't worry about absolute perfection as the roses should cover everything eventually.

• cath41
    10 years ago

Catspa,

Thank you for the information. I think it was the "Geschwind's' that I was having trouble with. lol.

Cath

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

There you go, Cath -- I flunked German twice :-)

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

That's lovely, catsrose. I hope it survives and bounces back; I bet it will.

I have an Edmond Proust in a pot and notice that the blooms are balling. It is a beautiful rose in the pictures I've seen and Pam's is certainly gorgeous in the other rambler thread.

Pam, do you have any comments about your Edmond Proust? Does it rebloom any for you? Vintage says it does, a little.

• Tuggy3
    10 years ago

So beautiful and lush. Looks like it goes on forever. Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring.

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Pam!

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gean, I'm sorry your Edmound Proust is balling. It is a little dryer here. I haven't seen it do that. It does rebloom a little. The main thing to know is that it is super vigorous and tip roots as well.

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

Beautiful ramblers, Pam and Catsrose.

Pam, I like the stone edging on the pathway near the arch.

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information, Pam. That helps! Vintage's description is delectable. :)

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

I love ramblers! I only have about 14 but I train some of my other once bloomers and hybrid musks the same way haha.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and your methods. With all the beauties I've purchased from Vintage here lately I'm going to need lots of rebar.
    Catspa, I still cannot distinguish the carport in your photo.
    Inspiring!
    Delightful gardens!
    Susan

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

I love ramblers and yours are wonderful----thanks for sharing--

Florence

• sowandgrow
    10 years ago

Hubby and I made your rebar arch yesterday, it worked great! Thanks for the instructions. All the money I saved on an arch means more roses if only I had the energy for any more digging. Ahh to be twenty again.

• mendocino_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sowand Grow, I'm thrilled you made the arch!
    CatsRose. I forgot to say how lovely your Garland is.