Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kansasrose89

Boscobel/ Feeding Roses

kansasrose89
9 years ago

Does this look like Boscobel to you? It doesn't look like any of the pictures I've ever seen. It's two years old. The flowers are also pretty smalll... Anyone else have Boscobel? What do you do to feed your roses? Thanks!

Comments (36)

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are cut. When are you supposed to deadhead your roses?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Looks a bit like my Anne Boleyn, though maybe a bit too pink. Anne Boleyn is a smaller Austin also and the blooms have about a 2.5 to 3 inch diameter.

I've only seen pics of Boscobel, so I can't say for sure, but your blooms do not look that much like the pics of Boscobel that I have seen.

When to deadhead? When the blooms start fading away and looking brown.

Kate

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Whichever rose it is, it's absolutely gorgeous, like something out of a rose catalog. Just curious, why did you cut off the flowers; they all look fresh to me? I wish I could grow roses that beautifully in a pot or, right now, anywhere else for that matter.

Ingrid

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

I have two of the same bush. I like having them inside so I use one for cutting. It's funny, though, because both bushes were labeled Boscobel and they look exactly the same. I wonder if the tags could have gotten mixed up on both. I might send DA an email to see if they can help me ID it.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

My first thought was yes , that's it. But looking at my pics I'm not sure now! Here are my pics of boscobel and I am certain mine was labeled correctly . The thing about boscobel is the heat and amount of rain it gets changes the color intensity and size. I water my pots just about every day but rain water seems to cause a surge in abundance. I use one of those miracle grow hose end feeders and I've only done it once since my pots are in MG potting soil. ( actually I just realized boscobel is in the original soil the nursery put it in. )This rose really seems to put out flush after flush . I love it's fragrance ! And the colors are so pretty. No black spot (ok , I counted 2 spots but that's pretty good ! ) . Lovely ! Here are some pics for you to compare . Sorry we just moved so my roses aren't in the best setting yet.

This was taken today
    {{gwi:277584}}

Last flush
    {{gwi:277587}}

Prior flush
    {{gwi:277589}}

{{gwi:277591}}

{{gwi:277592}}

Good luck finding out for sure! :) whatever you have, is very pretty!

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got an email from David Austin. They agree that it is definitely not Boscobel! She offered to send me a replacement rose. I just want to know what it is! Thank you all for your input and photos!

Kate, after looking at pictures of Anne Boleyn, I'm almost positive that's what I have. I'll try to post some closeups of my roses from this morning. I wonder if they look anything like yours.

This post was edited by kansasrose89 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 22:51

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this look like Anne Boleyn?

This post was edited by kansasrose89 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 13:10

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got an email from DA & they said it is Eglantyne.

This post was edited by kansasrose89 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 21:34

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Kansas--I'm hesitating on naming your rose because it looks a tad bit fuller and pinker than my Anne Boleyn. See what you think in the following pictures. There is some resemblance--but how much?

Here is a sequence I took of Anne Boleyn. It is very typical of her blooming cycle. Her blooms do not last very long, but are exquisite in my opinion at all stages.

Anne Boleyn--peak bloom
    {{gwi:207549}}

Anne Boleyn--day later
    {{gwi:277593}}

Anne Boleyn--2 days later. See how her color fades--but she is still beautiful to me. The bloom is also falling apart rather quickly--not one of her best features.
    {{gwi:207548}}

Here's a wider view--the bush kinda sprawls a bit. I never get heavy bloom--the bush and blooms have a somewhat "delicate" appearance--that is one reason why I hesitated in calling yours Anne Boleyn for sure--but it is possible other people have more vigorous Anne Boleyn's than I do.
    {{gwi:277595}}

So what do you think? Do we have a match? I think I mentioned my Anne Boleyn is a shortie--about 2.5 x 2.5 at most, and it is 5-6 years old.

Kate

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DA messaged me and said that they are certain my rose is Eglantyne. It does look similar to yours-- but not at all stages. Yours is very lovely, though!

Well now I have two Eglantyne where I wanted two Boscobel... Hmmm.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Don't feel too bad--Eglantyne is a lovely rose. It may not be Boscobel, but Eglantyne is still an excellent choice for any garden.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but isn't Eglantyne taller than Boscobel? If so, will that work in a container as the rose gets older and taller?

Kate

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know, I actually just read that Eglantyne gets pretty tall. We probably won't be in this house much longer so I don't want to dig in the ground. Do you have Eglantyne? This rose has already grown so much, just this season. Do you think it could manage in a 26" or half barrel size?

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

Your rose does not resemble my Eglantynes...

Eglantyne has pure pink blooms with no apricot or orange tones to it.

{{gwi:277596}}

{{gwi:277597}}

{{gwi:277598}}

• caldonbeck
    9 years ago

Wasn't boscobel made available for the first time this spring to you guys? All I'm thinking is that if it's two years old, how could it ever have been boscobel.

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow... That doesn't look anything like mine. What gives?!
    And yes, we just got it this spring. I ordered it as a potted rose and the lady on the phone from DA told me it would be a 2 year old plant. Maybe she meant that their potted roses are generally two years old, but forgot the fact that I was ordering a new rose.

Your Eglantyne is stunning, by the way!

This post was edited by kansasrose89 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 23:04

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carding Mill, maybe? It's described as:
    "A flower of beautifully mixed shades of pink, apricot and yellow, overall, giving the impression of rich apricot."

...I really have no idea.

• odyssey3
    9 years ago

Could it be Wildeve?

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been scouring DA's website for pink/apricot flowers and I also thought it looked very similar to Wildeve... But then again, I also thought it was Boscobel, Anne Boleyn, and Eglantyne!

• Faye57
    9 years ago

Your Eglantyne is gorgeous! Especially the leaves. This late in June, mine has very few leaves and much lighter in color.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Looking at all the yellow on the upside down bloom in the picture, I would say it is not Eglantyne. But I don't have a good guess what it is. Also, my Eglantyne grew very long canes before flowering but I am in So CA. I have to bend them over like climbers to get many blooms.

I break off the flowers when there is no good pollen left for the bees to use. By then the petals are fading and I like to get the whole thing before the petals drop. My Austin roses don't last long as cut flowers so I float them in a bowl most of the time or leave short stems. Most of the time I like to just enjoy them in the garden where they seem to last longer.

If you can get some charcoal from a wood fire and break it into small chunks, it helps enrich the potting mix. Don't use the white ash, only the black charcoal. About 1 cup for a 5 gallon sized pot.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Maybe Christopher Marlowe? Can't tell from the pics, are the leaves particularly shiny?

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The leaves aren't shiny at all, they're pretty matte. Also, this thing blooms like crazy! I get about 20 new buds every few weeks!

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

It could be Jubilee Celebration... they have similar coloring & shape & I have heard everal people say JC puts out blooms like crazy all summer. I have a fairly new JC that had a couple of flowers on it when I purchased it, sadly I don't have a photo of them, but they had an amazing fragrance. Does yours have a strong fruity fragrance?

Jessica

• prickles
    9 years ago

It too looks like jubilee celebration to me...the gold reverse on the petals. Does your rose smell of lemon zest?
    Here is a pic of JC.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Interesting, my Jubilee does not look like yours even though we are also in SoCal. Mine blooms a bit flatter than yours

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine has a very strong scent, although, I wouldn't describe it as fruity. This is my only rose so I'm not sure what to call what I'm smelling. It's lovely, though. I just cut a fresh rose today. I'll upload some pictures to see if it helps.

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view.

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more, just because I think it's pretty!

• kansasrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another photo in its early stages.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I really can't tell you what I think it is because it's my first year to grow Austin's and only have 3 so my experience is limited. But I will say it is gorgeous whatever it is and I think it's wonderful it is a blooming machine! Good luck with identifying the true name but in the mean time enjoy it because it's a true beauty.

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

It looks like Boscobel on Helpmefind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boscobel on HMF

• prickles
    9 years ago

Not JC as I first thought it to be--too much pink and the form of the bloom is slightly different, and the leaves aren't the same.... Now I really wonder which one of the Austins you have if it isn't bosobel?

• Mountie
    9 years ago

It looks like Eglantyne to me.

• gringo
    9 years ago

I looked through the D. Austin printed catalog in front of me, out of being curious, myself.
    I tend to agree with the previous poster 'oddyssee3' questioning if it may be Wildeve' ? Described with a petal count of 70 (& that would be my first suggestion in helping to determine the name, apart from colors & bloom/petal shape.) The "Wildeve'' bloom described as "soft pink at first opening to reveal blush petals touched with apricot'' Size given, as attaining 3 1/2 by 3 1/2.
    "Boscobel" flowers are described by D.A., as having red buds that "open to rich salmon, age to a deep rich pink." 78 petals
    "Eglantyne' has approximately 140 petal count, stated in catalogue...Quite lovely
    I have "The Alnwick" & thankfully have no doubt as to being correctly identified , labeled & shipped by D. Austin. The biggest question is which one to get next!

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Dear Kansasrose89:

Your rose looks like "The Fairy" which is a modern shrub that can be ordered from the 2014 David Austin catalog, on page 73. It is small and dainty and I love it and I want some!

This post was edited by Mountie on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 14:49