Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamabutterfly

Thanks for the encouragement to try Eveyln...

bamabutterfly
15 years ago

Thank you Randy....Your words of encouragement and advice gave me the confidence to dive in!!! I've got Evelyn in the spot closest to what you described (morning sun, somewhat protected from the hot afternoon sun)

Evelyn is a little fussy, although alot more aggressive than I expected, the rose is already twice as big as this photo and already has new buds ready to bloom a second time. She is prone to blackspot, but considering the blooms and THAT FRAGRANCE....WOW...well worth a little extra trouble....best fragrance I've ever experienced.....kinda like "Garden Candy" ;)

Michelle

Evelyn

{{gwi:277801}}

Comments (24)

• aliska12000
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is beautiful. I'm sure I have that but haven't seen anything like that blooming yet. A few aren't doing so well. I've got a diagram somewhere, will have to see what is where.

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

That's beautiful, Michelle. Am so glad it's doing well for you. Do you grow other Austins? Gean

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea duchesse....I just got started this year, and I would not have known where to start had it not been for this forum. I used to grow roses, but once the problems started I didn't really have anyone knowledgable to ask for advice, so I'm really glad you all are here.
    I'm growing Benjamin Britten, Golden Celebration, Alnwick rose, Charlotte, Gertrude Jekyll, Queen of Sweden, Evelyn, and Teasing Georgia. I just ordered Crocus Rose and Christopher Marlowe.
    The best performer so far is Queen of Sweden. this rose is bulletproof (well almost)....no blackspot, great blooms that smell like baby powder. Next is Benjamin Britten...what a great rose!!! Alnwick rose is really good too, great scent and reblooms very fast. They are all doing good really.

Do you grow Austins duchesse??

Is the heat getting to you??? we are sweltering here in N. Bama.

Michelle

Benjamin Britten

{{gwi:257110}}

{{gwi:259550}}

"mountain climber"
    {{gwi:277803}}

Golden Celebration
    {{gwi:245635}}

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Those are beautiful pictures! No, I have only tried teas and chinas and a few floribundas and hybrid teas. Am thinking about trying some Austins next year. Yours are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing; I'm glad to know they're doing well for you. andd yes, (tongue hanging out) it's hot here!

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is my Evelyn, no other one with peachy color like it except Miss Alice which is on the other side. The buds were nipped a bit by something. It doesn't look much like the one posted above, but I found my chart and there it is where it is supposed to be, had those planted for me. Now I plant my own.

{{gwi:277804}}

• jljohnson740
    15 years ago

Lovely pictures all!!! Thank you for sharing!
    I tried to order Evelyn but David Austin was out! Anyway..my middle grandchild is named Evelyn Elise...we call her Evie...O promised her I would plant Evelyn next year! I'd like to find one named Madeline...guess I should look it up and see if there is one...that's my oldest grandchild's name!! Again...thanks for these lovely pics!! :)))

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

My intuition told me when I got started with this rose craziness that I'd better order early. That's what you have to do to get the most sought-after ones it seems unless you get lucky locally or find another vendor that still has them. I order my new ones in the fall or by New Year's for shipment the following spring.

I don't know if I'd recommend grafted or own root, but Evelyn is certainly worth growing. Always loved the name Elise. Paired with Evelyn, that is a beautiful name. My CPM own root I started a thread about is taking off pretty fast. My others are sulking whereas the grafted ones are performing much better on the whole. But I would prefer own root for a couple of reasons, one being I don't have to worry about any canes being from below the graft because I'm not sure and may have whacked a couple I shouldn't have.

That red rose blows me away. Michelle if you're still watching the thread, what is it? How do you have a whole bush full of them with no blemishes on the roses or leaves, spray?

My granddaughter won on her photo of a monarch butterfly on a butterfly bush with blooms just like that. I wish I had a good place for some.

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aliska,

You are smart to order early...I did order very early and it makes a huge difference (I've been burned by late orders of perenials) However, I just ordered 2 roses (1 DA rose and 1 OGR) from Ashdown...they still have some OGRs (but no DA roses) left..also Ashdown just emailed me they are delaying their orders until Monday due to the hot weather... and I ordered a Christopher Marlowe from Jung seeds (they still have some DA roses left, I think) beacause I just couldn't stand it (they were all 1/2 price!) and I've wanted this rose for several months. CMs like Benjamin Britten; a little different from DA roses, so we'll see. Plus I'm keeping my fingers crossed they are in good shape when they arrive.

The red rose is Benjamin Britten.

I'm still a novice, but what's CPM? and can you tell me about own root....I see that mentioned alot, but not sure exactly what the difference is. Does it just mean that a rose is grown from a cutting vs. grafted onto a root stock like Dr. Huey, or something.
    As far as spraying, I use Orthonex on some of them, but this Benjamin Britten must just be really happy, 'cause I haven't had to spray it at all. (Well, I think I did spray early on one time with an organic fungicide) Now the others are a little different and need spraying and Evelyn has to be sprayed too. Queen of Sweden needs no spray either. I also use ALOT of fish emulsion, which they seem to like.
    Congrats to your granddaughter on her photo....Butterfly Bushes will suprisingly take more shade than you think....I've got a white one under a tree w/alot of shade and it blooms its head off!

Have a great day!
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Does it just mean that a rose is grown from a cutting vs. grafted onto a root stock like Dr. Huey, or something.

Yes.

CPM is Crown Princess Margareta. I got them from Jackson & Perkins. So far it is not looking exactly like the rose that inspired me to try to track it down, but it's probably too soon to tell. Still, I have that feeling . . . .that once again I didn't get exacatically what I wanted. I'll post some comparison pics at some point.

Now it's my turn :-). What do you use for a sprayer, brand name, where to purchase (have read some are better than others)? I prefer one that doesn't work off a hose. I am totally, completely, thoroughly fed up with all my hoses, they are a total pain, guess I can try a reel but they are ugly but then so are messy tangles of hoses lying near the faucet.

Also thanks for the encouragement about Butterfly Bush. Some people even grow them from seed. In any case, I will try some, have wasted enough on trials and errors, so I'm going to try some in at least part shade.

Do you or anyone know what that kind that Butterfly Bush in the photo is? Spring Hill has one called Kaleidoscope but it looks odd; one I saw in an earlier catalog of theirs was prettier, plus I don't know if they are the best place to purchase plants online. So far the ones I did purchase are fine except the hardiness of some unique iris I'm worried about.

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have seen pics of CPM (sorry, I just wasn't thinking:o) or I could have thought of it. Its a gorgeous rose.
    As far as a sprayer, I just use a little one gallon hand-held pump (The kind you pump the top, and the pressure build up) type. I got mine at Walmart (anyplace; Lowe's, etc. would have them) I like the smaller 1 gallon size, 'cause when it wears out, I just get a new one. plus its not as heavy as a 2 or 3 gallon bigger one. These are not connected to a hose. I don't think you can use that kind, unless you are just fertilizing only, but I'm not sure.
    The Butterfly bush is "Black Knight", but the color has faded....it used to be dark purple. BB is EASY to propagate from cuttings. Almost like a willow, just stick it in the ground (well, almost)....I got mine through one of the cheapo-type mail orders (like DirectGardening.com) they have a zillion catalogs (but you have to order early)
    I've got a BB called "Rainbow BB" kinda purpleish, orange, yellow multi-colored. I wonder if they are just calling it something different. It's ok, not the greatest color.
    Good luck w/your CPM!!

Michelle

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

A one gal would be about the right size for me. I'll check out that Orthonex. Some roses I wouldnt' need it for, like you. Like it or not, I'm going to have to use some Roundup and am wondering how precisely you can direct the spray or if I should just try a regular spray bottle and dial a stream for the tighter places rather than fan so I'm less likely to hit the good stuff. Elsewhere I want to zap most all of it and start over, no sense in planting one place I was unable to get under control with black plastic, helped but couldn't cover it all.

Thanks for the info on BB, I'll try not to be impulsive and am not sure about placement right now. That is a good candidate for winter sowing, but with seeds I've seen so far, they have a limited choice, just the basic solid colors.

I need to get the bed CPM is in under control. The grass is encroaching on the edges, will try to get that started later today while it is cool. I'll try to cut a groove with the tiller and then there will be a lot of hand labor. I'm kind of burned out after MY first flush :-). But I'm looking forward to what CPM will do when she really gets going. Probably another magnet for Jap beetles, they seem to like yellow or blends.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have started a program of milky spores for the JB.....it really is helping. You have to do it 3x a year for 1-2 years then (THEY say) you do not have to do it again....we'll see about that, but I do have to say, they are not as bad this year as the past.

I know what you mean about Roundup...I'm terrified I'll zap my precious (and pricey) roses. Late afternoon, if the wind settles, works good, but I'm always glad to be done w/it.
    Good luck w/your beds around CPM....I have some beds in the same predicament...so far we're just trying to reclaim them w/bark mulch....but it is tiring!
    take care,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I'm watching that one thread about the beetles experiment, they're due here shortly. What is milky spore?

I looked at the new buds on the other CPM, and they are starting to look more like the one that inspired me to buy all those in the first place. So that's a big plus.

Evelyn is really perky now, a few gorgeous blooms, better than the photo I posted, but something has impacted a few of them on that bush. Still, that's positive overall.

Now I have been through a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anybody with my tiller. Usually I'm calm and polite, but I really lost it today AFTER I asked the people at the hardware store for help, and AFTER I was done talking to them, bought it from them, they aren't totally rude, but curt like they don't want to talk to me, have never been rude to them, and what is worse, I called my son to deal with the hardware store that sold it to me because I am not talking to them any more. While I was waiting for my son to return my call, my daughter called, I was in tears of frustration at that point and very angry, so her husband came over and got it running and that job done but says there is something wrong with it, practically brand new still.

My regular hardware store didn't carry that brand or I would have bought it from them. They always give me good service and help beyond the call of duty, always make things right, fix things right.

When I get myself under control better, there's a forum for tools to figure out what my best options are at this point.

Thanks for the well wishes about the other things.

Sorry, had to vent.

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is frustrating...If it doesn't work properly, they should fix it or refund your money. Good luck with it, wow, do I ever know how irritating that it! Sometimes, as my friend says, "you just have to get serious with them...after all they are in the business of selling products that are supposed to work!! :)

Milky Spores comes in a bag (its like fertilizer, kind of) and you spread it over your yard. I think you have to do it about 3x (spring, summer, fall) a year for a year or two...it kills the larvae of the Jap. Beetles and (supposedly) even if your neighbor has them, but doesn't put out milkey spores, they won't come into your yard. The ones in your (and my) yard come from the larvae in our yard. I know that seems strange, but that's what they say. Then, after you put this stuf out for a couple of years, the milky spores sets up and continues for years to come. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than me. Ours does seem to be working though.

take care,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info about the Milky Spores and that they are probably in my lawn; I do find grubs now and then when I'm digging, not a whole lot but enough to know they are under there lurking. I don't have a spreader, and I need one to get some pre-emergent down before that awful grass totally takes over, then I'll have to figure out how to stagger the applications of if you can do both at once (probably not good). And it looks like I'm going to have to do it myself or hire it done. I don't like admitting to myself that some of this is too much for me by myself and getting old. I can't both garden and keep the lawn mowed by myself, so have the lawn done (have a hard terrace for one thing) and have hurt my back again.

I'm still upset about the tiller this morning, and part of it is my fault. I studied carefully before I bought it, it was highly recommended, got the better model, and it's getting oil in the thing the way it is designed. Twice now I've put too much in it, and it was running all over everything. The first time I did it, they charged me $30+, the second time $40+ and made me wait two weeks at a critical time, I called after one week because I needed it badly, did you buy it from us? Their store name sticker is right on the bar. The book was not clear about the position the tiller should be in for CHECKING the oil. Well, I don't like feeling like a ditz, but I ended up with a puddle of oil on the kitchen floor. Again. If only they would have shown me how to do it, they did explain how to start it. I'm not so dumb that when my son-in-law came to help, I could explain exactly how the choke should be on a cold start vs. warm start, how to turn it on, know that it won't just take off once it starts, know how to set the tines for tilling, cultivating and the border attachment, know when you have to pull it backwards and walk it forward, etc. Part of that somebody explained here, and the rest I learned reading the book.

I was told it breaks sod, and it is advertised that it will. Well it does, but at a terrible price, bounces all over. Then the grass comes right back after adding amendments and tilling over it twice. You have to strip the sod off first.

It's one month past a year that I could have taken it back and gotten my over $400 back. The lady at my regular hardware store said if you are a woman, they probably won't deal with you like they would a man. I have found that to be true all my life with a few pleasant exceptions.

When I got it back the last time, it was not registering any oil at all on the dipstick. I assumed they would have put the right amount in for me. Here we go again. I put just a tiny bit in and got a few chores done. Then it won't register on the dipstick, yes I wipe it and put it in the way the book says, nothing registers. Finally I get it to register just half, figure I'd better quit, and still, running all over the place. I printed out the online warranty (clearly says 2 years for tillers, excluded two models that aren't mine), tried to call the Mantis company at my own expense, a recorded message said I had to take it up with my dealer.

Well the good news is no sign of Jap beetles yet, we're behind the south in my zone on those, usually about July they show up.

Thanks for listening. And thanks for answering my questions thoroughly. Sorry no crackers (or is it cheese or both?) with my whine :-). Sometimes when I read posts here, I can't help feeling a little envy at the ones who have husbands to help. I know modern gals are tougher and some do manage to do most or all of their own hard work; it's amazing the things I've learned from women, too!

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I do understand tiller probs...We don't use ours anymore, and it might be for many of the reasons you describe. Plus, we have not had a garden in the ground for the last 2 years (we've gone to container gardening) I do miss my big gardens, but I just don't have the time right now.
    I know what your saying about dealing w/men with bad attitudes toward women. I try to deal with merchants who seem to be in the business to help people (not look their noses down at women or men) BUT....I know also, that is not always possible. One thing you can do is complain to your local Better Business Bureau...I have found that effective sometimes. Also, sometimes there is a jerk that's waiting on you, but if their boss finds out you are unhappy, things can improve quickly (sometimes) You didn't mention if it was the owner you dealt with or not, but sometimes they will respond to complaints much better.

Michelle

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I put it on the back burner today, will wait until my son can take it in and try not to wait too long. Since part of it is probably my fault, I will only complain to the BBB as a last resort. This is a little place, been around a long time, runs spot commercials here, but probably does have a lot of good will with the clientele in their part of town (and maybe friends in high places), and I'm an older woman who probably shouldn't be fighting with a powerful machine like that except for easy stuff, and an outsider. I'm thinking they would say something like the dumb broad put too much oil in it 3 times.

I'm sorry you are reduced to container gardening if you are still able to do larger areas if you had the room. I'd look at different kinds of tillers if I had to do it over again. I noticed that there is a gap between the tines which means it leaves a part untouched meaning to do a thorough job you really need to go over it about 3 times, and at least once perpendicular to the main passes to break it all up right. But I was never able to break up the soil as finely as this does, that I could not do even when I was younger and stronger. Mixing in peat and compost is a breeze with it; manually it would be almost harder than spading to get it well mixed; I do have some residual clay but fairly good soil for the most part, and it handles that and clay well so long as it isn't too wet.

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Re RoundUp, when I used it to kill big parts of my lawn, I used a piece of plexiglas - 2'x4' (because that's what I had), set it on the ground along my edge or up against plants I wanted to protect and kept the spray tip close to the ground set on a wide spray. Thankfully, I had no accidents. I did not not spray in amongst plants. That would be scary. Also, when I was spraying the grass, I made sure I edged so the RU wouldn't travel along the St Augustine runners - which it will do. If your grass is the running type, make sure you cut deep and completely through.

Hope this helps.

Sherry

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I tried to cut deep with the edger on my tiller, had done it all myself until the other day, but know I didn't get all the runners, still it helped. Will probably just keep pulling and chopping or "paint" where it wouldn't work to spray shield or no shield.

I have these two plastic things I used to use for sewing. They would be perfect to shield, and I could get in pretty tight with them. Was hoping my son would spray and I assist.

I would rinse them off 3 times before using them again, don't sew much these days, and never use any utensil that would be subsequently used for food. Cardboard would probably work, too, but we recycle it, and I'd just want to cut it up and put it in with the rest of the garbage. Once it dries, it probably wouldn't damage the environment.

Some of it is nice grass, just don't want it in the garden. I even picked out tons of clumps when it was first tilled. Now the other, unfortunately, is the running type, and it is going to be a royal pain no matter what I do.

I just got done folding a bunch of newspapers, am waiting for the ext svc to return my call about something else, or I'd be out laying those out, at least around the border and where else it would work, then mulch with leaves, but I think that nasty grass will get right through eventually.

A pre-emergent would have helped this spring where it is in the grass which causes it to keep running into garden areas, not get rid of it all. I don't know if pre-emergent would work in flower beds or not and don't want to make a mistake with that. I only grow one food plant, a tomato and have it well mulched. Next year I'm going to try my best to get some down if I have to sprinkle it by hand, not sure what you use for an applicator, think that push thingie but not sure.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

If you haven't lost patience with me, I'm going back to the Orthonex. After reading that horror thread about Bayer (I got advanced, 3 in 1, I think), I dug out my receipt and am returning it.

I looked up a little bit about Orthonex and if I can find a decent sprayer like you suggested, think I will try that instead. It looks like it controls the things that are plaguing me the most so far (except Jap beetles), and I wouldn't use it on my roses that are only slightly blemished now and then, but some I really need something, tight buds that are spoiled, big chomps out of leaves (leafhoppers?), mites.

How often do you spray with it? I wanted a no spray garden but that is not feasible for me where I am, I mean level of experience and getting my soil in prime shape which takes time.

Do you have to take any precautions like wearing long pants, long shirt, gloves, hazmat suit, mask? I never liked messing with any of that stuff but broke down and got Ortho's equivalent of Grass B Gone, don't know if it is as good, need to try it some more. The test spot didn't disappear right away, thought the stuff was no good, but see it is gone now.

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I use Orthonex about every 15-20 days...you can use it every 10 days, if you have a bad problem. That plus lots of water and fish emulsion seem to be working well for me. I don't have to spray every rose, just a few.

I wear gloves and don't breathe it in...best to spray in evening when the wind isn't blowing, if possible. Also, I try to take my time with it, and not hurry too much...that way I don't get it on me.
    I missed the story about Bayer....what happened?

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

bama, you are a dear to put up with all my questions and chatter. I hope kelp will work until I can get some fish emulsion (asked somewhere else and if answered hope I can find it back), can't buy every product, also wanted to try some alfalfa, prefer the pellets (easier), but don't know when I've piled on too much already, am trying to go easy. The tea is too much for now.

I'll link to the thread, I think he used 2 in 1, but the consensus made me wonder what I'd be doing to my soil. I never got the first long spots amended, didn't know any better. My soil isn't that bad overall but cooks in front. I'll compost it in the fall.

Just got done feeding some more roses in front and fresh mulch. That might help. I think the Ortho although purists might not like it, is not a systemic and not as likely to adversely impact the soil, bees and birds, etc., must break down pretty fast if you have to use it every 10 or 15 days. I'll just use it on some. This is what I was hoping to avoid, another chore, but I'm tired of seeing certain roses that are otherwise healthy with lots of buds not blooming well.

Wow, jets must be practicing for the air show. Loud and fast, can't catch them with my camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Did something really awful (re Bayer)

• bamabutterfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I use "Neptune's Harvest Organic Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer"...very easy to use; I just add it to a jug of water and pour it on. be warned though....It stinks to high heaven :> (reminds me of when I was a kid and we would drive by a chicken house when the "smell" was really ripe....my old uncle would say, "Yup, smells just like money")...he always got a laugh from us kids with that one.

I've seen the alfalfa mentioned, but haven't tried it yet, but I hope to in the future. I'm guessing it would be at the seed and feed store, I just haven't asked them yet.
    do you know how its applied?

Michelle

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

stinks to high heaven

So does Liquid Fence. I don't mind. Now I'm upset, I bought a huge jug of kelp, twenty bucks, can't even find it on the web, and it will take forever to use it up. I wish I'd gotten some mixed with fish emulsion instead. I hate to keep bugging the guy at the rose club asking questions.

It says foliar on the jug, so I mixed according to instructions and sprinkled on the leaves and base of my lilies, think it was overcast that day or evening. They are doing great but one leaf is deformed and they all have brown streaks on them, not too ugly, and it could be something else, weren't there last year, but plants overall look healthier this year, and that's all the extra nutrients I gave those since I planted (bone meal in the bottom stirred in and mulch and water but don't deep water my lilies, don't seem to need much) (stargazer and aubaude).

do you know how its applied?

No, and don't remember reading how either. Much general talk but no specifics. I'd ask at the place you buy it or look for directions on the package. My inclination, if I get around to getting pellets (way out on the other side of town) is to sprinkle a few around each plant, scratch in if I have time, try not to overdo it.

I did find one thread here which may be of some help.

I think some people go overboard, but if they have the time, motivation and energy, that's fine. Apart from the problem roses I mentioned, I've got some gorgeous roses out there, and I've hardly done anything to them, even feed on schedule. Just plenty of water and mulch, and scratched in feed just once (got too busy to stay on schedule with that) the first year. Now with all the rain, I only water the new little plants I stuck in there. Later on, I'll have to drag the hose around again, but have gotten a break from that and got a soaker hose for my front bed, south of sunroom windows, a little dappled shade, amended well w/peat and compost, still gets too dry too fast, happy camper about the way we finally got the soaker hose rigged up. I told the guy at the hardware store I wanted a hose cut up and fitted to extend from the faucet so the drip wouldn't start until it hit the bed. Sold me a laundry hose, perfect length. So I go to hook it up, two female ends, no male to screw it to, needs cap on far end to build pressure. My daughter found an adapter (two male ends, small) for me, presto, that was the ticket.

My soil in front was pretty loamy when first tilled, but I didn't know about amending, so where the mulch wears thin, the stuff bakes like a brick. In time, leaves, mulch, compost and worms may loosen it up. I'm a lazy gardener, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my philosophy. Sometimes you can do more harm than good in overzealous applications of too many different things.

Will try to get the Orthonex and sprayer before the weekend is over.

Oh my gosh, if it weren't for a few bad buds, Evelyn is huge, close to 5', and blooming her head off. But Hyde Hall just has me dazzled, two different shades of pink with small touch of apricot in centers on that beauty. I keep deadheading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alfalfa Pellets vs. Alfalfa Meal