Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbinpa

Disease Rpt: 1st Yr. No Spray-S. Central PA

bbinpa
15 years ago

FWIW: Here is my disease report in this my first year as a no fungicide/pesticide year. The roses are listed by bed and I am amazed that there are not more roses defoliated by BS. Of course, it is early yet.

Bayse's Purple Rose-clean

Unknown Red Poly-clean (I'll post photos later)

Rose rubifolia-clean

Father Hugo-clean

Abigail Adams-clean

La Belle Sultane-20% PM

Therese Bugnet-5%PM-2 in this border

Fru Dagmar-clean

R. Rugosa Rubra-clean

Ballerina-5% BS

Lion's Rose-clean

Russelliana-2% BS

Belle Story-5% BS

Radux Bouquet-2% BS

Erfurt-2% BS

Peppermint China-5% BS (found rose)

Archiduchess Elizabeth d'Autriche-clean

Tamora-clean

Earth Song-clean

Folksinger #1-10% PM

Sangerhausen Jubilaumsrose-clean

Blummenschmidt-40% bs & 20% PM

Lady Angela-clean

Le Vesuve #1 & 2-clean

Bon Chance-clean

Golden Celebration-clean

Abe Darby-clean

Prairie Harvest-clean

Meir y Teran-clean

Apricot Nectar-clean

Jude the Obscure-clean

Lady Hillingdon-1% BS

Cameaux-20% PM

Roserie de la Hay-5% PM

M. Natalie Nyples-50% BS

Prosperity-20% BS

Bourbon Queen-30% BS

Belle Sans Flatterie 5% PM

Duc de Guiche-clean

Compassion-clean

Carefree delight (?)-clean

Rose Setigera-clean

Marie Bugnet-clean

Therese Bugnet #3-10% PM

Golden Wings-5% BS

Martin Forbisher-clean

R Rugose Rubra #2-clean

Heritage-3% BS

Echo-3% BS

Tuscany Supurb-clean

Wm. Lobb-5% BS

Ghislange de Felligonda-slight BS (like 1 cluster of leaves)

Louise Odier-70% BS

Queen of Denmark-clean

Leda-30% BS-20% PM

Rose de Rechst-30% BS

Graham Thomas-30% BS

Felicite Parmentier-10% BS-20% PM

L-Aimant-70% BS

Baron Gerod-100% BS

Carefree Beauty-clean

Winter Sunset-clean

Marie Pavie-slight BS

Cecile Brunner-20% BS

Ambridge Rose-40% BS

Little White Pet-slight BS

Fantin Latour-clean

Duchess de Brabant-20% PM

Danae #1-30% BS

Great Maidens Blush-40% BS

Felicia-5% BS

Hot Cocoa-clean

Penelope-5% BS

Danae #2-20% BS

Prairie Princess-5% BS

Alexander McKenzie-clean

Mrs. R.M. Finch-30% BS

Belinda's Dream-5% BS

Rogue Royale-70% BS

Thomas Affleck-slight BS

Stanwell Perpetual-10% BS

Cornelia-clean

Buff Beauty-5% BS

That's it. So far this season I have sprayed with AACT 4 times approximately 3 weeks apart. Other than the general spring dose of fertilizer, mulching and weeding, the roses have had nothing special done to them. Most varieties have midge to one degree or another. There are also the usual bugs eating on their leaves but not too much damage there. Most of the repeat bloomers are in their second flush and the JBs have just started and having a great time. I plan to spray with the organic cedar oil extract as soon as it arrives.

I hope this will help someone. All in all, I'm encouraged.

Barbara

Comments (11)

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

A bold experiment! We are hearing such good things about AACT. And I know that central Pennsylvania is a humid place where disease pressure is strong. I look forward to hearing more about your garden results as the summer wears on.

Rosefolly

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

What is AACT, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks,
    Mary

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

I'm encouraged too, Barbara. If yours do well and mine bomb, I may try adding the AACT. I ordered the Teaming with Microbes book and maybe will add it in next year.

Thanks for the update - and how do you like the Pioneer roses you've gotten? I'm interested in Mier Y Teran. Glad to hear it's clean!

Please update again in late summer! Thanks, Gean

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Contrary, AACT is Actively Aerated Compost Tea. I'll provide a link. I use these folks brewer and their tea kits although you can easily make your own brewer and use your own compost.

Rosefolly, I never thought of this experiment as bold, but I guess here in BS heaven where most roses are stretched to their limit it is. I'm just getting old and tired of spraying every two weeks. I'm also fed up with spraying pesticides, which I did for rose midge and I still have them.

Gean, I think you have made a good investment in the book order. Let us know what you think.

The two pioneer roses I have are good ones. The better of the two is by far Thomas Affleck. Mier y Teran is a midge magnet and most bugs seem to like this rose. TA hardly ever gives me cause to worry. He just keeps on blooming. Also, MyT is not as cold hardy as TA. It's first spring in my garden he died to the ground. This year he had much taller canes-the winter was much milder. Very pretty rose and blooms well when midge aren't attacking. Right now he is about 3 feet tall and I know this rose can reach 8 feet as he did his first season in my garden.

A word of caution about AACT. Don't regard it as a silver bullet. It is not meant to be a complete fungicide or pesticide. Its purpose is to improve the garden environment, to keep a balance of good organisms in the garden-plant and soil. Years of spraying fungicides and pesticides do some damage, and it is likely to take time to correct the balance. It can also be used in conjunction with pesticides and fungicides. The recommendation is to follow the fungicide/pesticide spray with AACT. That's just too much spraying for me.

Thank you all for your comments.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: Keep It Simple Web Site

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

First year roses are sometimes not representative. You have some pretty resistant roses and some that are really BS prone. I would expect that your next year report will be very different. Sorry to be a pessimist. But there is no way Abraham Darby or Golden Celebration or Felicia, for example, will be clean in a long run in PA.
    Olga

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Olga, I'm not sure what you mean by "first year roses". Is that the first year without fungicides? If so, yes, I realize it will probably take 3 years to make a good judgment. Some I'm not willing to give 3 years as they are already badly spotted-like Louise Odier and Baron Gerod. I agree with you about Abe Darby and Felicia. Golden Celebration, I'm not so sure. He has been amazingly clean in mid-summer in the past when I've been real lazy about spraying. But, only time will tell.

The next questions are how much BS can I tolerate and how quickly will some of these roses recover (if at all)?

Thank you for your response.

Barbara

• mauirose
    15 years ago

Great report, your list is giving me 'rose envy'. LOL

Can someone please tell me what is considered humid? In percentages please? Any maybe what is not humid. My inner geek needs this kind of information-sorry.

• mauirose
    15 years ago

Humid as relates to BlackSpot please.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

Sorry, Barbara,
    I think I misread yor post and thought you are talking about roses just planted this year. These roses can be not representative, probably they have some residual fungicide in their systems or something else. But I noticed for me that sometimes roses are clean during their first year and then the honeymoon is over, they get BS badly.
    Your situation is obviously different, let's see how it will work. I will be happy to be wrong in my pessimism.
    Olga

• carla17
    15 years ago

I wish you luck Barbara. I think it would be wonderful to not spray.

Carla

• bbinpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Olga, I must not have been very clear in my initial message. I can see how you would mis-interpret. Anyway, most of the roses have been there for at least 3 years, some for 9 years and only two since this spring. Yes, if I had planted all this spring (and broken my back in the process) this report would be useless. However, I'm as skeptical as you. We still have plenty of summer ahead and lots of unpredictable weather. Then there are the midge. Ugg!

Carla, thank you. I can use all the luck I can get. And luck it will definitely take.

Barbara