Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Peggy Martin

Posted by jaymo49 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:48

I need to move my Peggy Martin Rose which is blooming all along my 6 foot tall fence. My problem is that it has 2 bare canes for the first 4 feet. No growth at the bottom at all. How far back should I cut it when I move it? I am putting it on an 8 x 8 foot lattice trellis, so it would be nice if it started some growth lower down, but it's okay if it grows on the new trellis as it is now. Should I cut it to 1 or 2 feet, leaving just bare canes, or should I cut it at about 5 feet, leaving one foot of leafy growth at the top? Or should I do one cane low, one high? I am taking some cuttings in case I kill it.... advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Peggy Martin

If it was mine I would cut it down to about 2 feet. Then keep it watered, and do not feed it or spray it until it starts putting out new growth, which could take several weeks. If it is very sunny, give it some shade with shade cloth or something. Good Luck!

Jackie

o
RE: Moving Peggy Martin

I moved my Peggy Martin a few years ago. It was about 6' tall with about half a dozen canes. Didn't cut it back at all ... gathered the canes up and tied them with bungie cords so it was easier to get to the base to dig it up. I got a decent sized rootball, which fell apart as soon as I got it out of the hole. Got frustrated and dragged the rose to the new hole, planted it, watered it, and walked away. Kept it watered, when it didn't rain to do the job for me. Only one of the canes died ... the others wilted a bit but recovered.

The moral of this story is .... I tend to cut back roses that I'm moving only because it's safer to work with smaller thorny roses. Peggy is thornless so this wasn't a consideration. I prefer to let the rose decide if I've left enough roots to support the amount of top growth. Any canes that wilt and get crispy are obviously unsupported by roots below are removed. Haven't yet lost a rose by doing it this way.

One word of caution: Peggy will probably grow back in the original location from root suckers. This is why I now have TWO Peggy Martin roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here