Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

Cramoisi Superieur size and disease resistance

buford
10 years ago

Hi all, the three Metro Atlanta Rose Societies had a joint outing yesterday at the Historic Oakland Cemetery. The Cemetery was once a thriving old rose haven, but unfortunately in the mid 20th century, a lot of the old roses were removed. However, there is now a dedicated group that is trying to revive the gardens in the cemetery, including old roses.

While we were there yesterday, they were having a plant sale (how provident!). The roses were all cuttings from roses in the cemetery and although they were only put up last September, due to our great wet winter and spring, they all took and looked healthy and vigorous. I bought Cramoisi Superieur and Mutabilis. I have seen mature Mutabilis, so I know what I'm dealing with there, but I am not familiar with CS. I know it will get large, but how large here in the southeast? Also, how is the disease resistance? I only have one other china, Comtesse du Cayla, and she does well, gets some blackspot, but doesn't defoliate.

Here is a link to my photos from the outing if you are interested:

Oakland Cemetery

Most of the roses were not blooming. The staff at the cemetery were hoping that the rose people could identify some roses that they don't have IDs on. Some of you may remember the tornado that struck Atlanta a few years ago, that did major damage to the cemetery and they are still recovering. If you are ever in the area, it's a great spot to visit.

Comments (20)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Buford, I couldn't bring up the pictures...

Later today will take a picture of my Cramoisi, which is next to Mutabilis. Just too hot out there, now, and I'm a total wimp.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Love the pictures! The statues were just amazing.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Lovely, Buford. I don't have CS, but I do have Louis Phillipe and they are supposed to be similar in size. LP gets quite large, tall and wide. Mine were about six tall by eight wide before TS Debbie. They were significantly damaged, and I had to cut them back.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

FWIW . . .

My (SoCal) Louis Phillipe is way over my head (6.5 ft? 7 ft?) and easily that wide.

My CS has remained a dainty thing, rather upright, and I don't think it's made 4 ft.

Jeri

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Really, Jeri? I had read they were similar in size. I have climbing CS on order and am anxious to see the difference in the to blooms.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Maybe they are, everywhere but here. I can only speak to the plants I have.

FWIW, I was surprised, myself.

Jeri

• random_harvest
    10 years ago

My bush Cramoisi Superieur is also a mannerly shorty like Jeri's. Climbing CS is way more vigorous. Both regularly repeat bloom through the summer when the teas are sulking in the heat.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I have a young Cl. CS. Interestingly, some of the blooms are just like the bush form, Some, to my surprise, are single! Maybe this will change, but I think it's interesting.

Jeri

• malcolm_manners
    10 years ago

For us (Lakeland Florida), CS grows to be large as Chinas go, but nowhere near the size of 'Mutabilis'. Maybe ultimately 6' tall by 8' wide? 'Mutabilis' will go 8' tall by perhaps 15' wide, if unpruned. It also grows quite differently from 'Louis Philippe' -- LP is taller than wide, and CS is noticeably wider than tall.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

"'Mutabilis' will go 8' tall by perhaps 15' wide, if unpruned."

*** Which explains how we killed our first 'Mutabilis.'

No one told me.

We planted it as tho it was a Hybrid Tea, and spent the next few years regularly chopping the poor thing back. (Yes, you CAN kill a rose that way, trust me on this.)
    Our current 'Mutabilis' is down at the bottom of the garden, its closest neighbor 'Fortuniana.'
    It can grow as big as it wants to

Jeri

• JMangum
    10 years ago

In middle GA (95 miles south of ATL) my Cramoisi Sup is about 4ft. tall and about 3.5 ft. wide (5 yrs old). My Climbing C is my favorite (3rd season now) and is about 14-16 ft. The blooms on my climber seem to be a little larger than the shrub.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I have both Louis Phillipe and Cramoisi Superior, both from Vintage. LP is between 5 and 6 feet tall. CS is between 2 and 3 feet tall. The blooms are very similar, and both bloom well, but for me in my garden, LP is the superior bush.

kay

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

This is a really interesting thread. I've been following it and reading the replies to discover what gardeners on the forum have to say about these two roses. Climate can make such a difference in terms of shrub size and growth patterns; flower color, size, and petal count; remontancy; etc. I've always been completely peplexed when attempting to distinguish between Cramoisi and Louis P. If you show me a small plant of each, I couldn't ID one or the other to save my life. White streaks or centers? Both at times. Size and petal count? Heck if I know!

Jeri, your experience with Cramoisi and Louis P are the opposite of what I'd read or been told in TX, and Organic Kitten's experience is similar to yours. For you both, Louis P is a larger shrub. Mike Shoup and Liz Druitt suggest that Cramoisi will grow up to 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide or so in that region. The Antique Rose Emporium site states that Louis P will grow to about 3'-5' and Druitt says around 4'. In PDX, I chose to grow Cramoisi because I assumed (maybe correctly, maybe not) that a red china would remain a bit smaller here, and I'd always believed Cramoisi to be the larger shrub of the two.

If you all keep writing, I'm going to keep reading and learning.

Carol

• jerijen
    10 years ago

But, Carol, my conditions are diametrically opposed to conditions at ARE (or ANY part of TX).

So, perhaps the difference is as simple as:
    THIS is what the rose does HERE.
    THAT is what the rose does THERE.

It is, in the end, location, location, location.

Jeri

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

That sounds absolutely right on, Jeri! I find it fascinating that two roses can reverse roles, so to speak, as these two red Chinas do in varous climates. Most of my experience with them occurred in TX. Wish I'd grown both in PDX when I had the room to do so. I'd like to compare them here. I don't know any PDX gardeners that grow them. How does anyone ever ID these old roses? You folks are good...really, really good!

Carol

• buford
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it looks like my closest neighbors (organic kitten and Magnum) have CS at 3-4 feet wide and 3 feet wide, which is smaller than what I was thinking. But that's good. I will keep the BIG spot for Mutabilis and I am thinking of putting CS in the hummingbird/butterfly garden. The Hummers love red, not that they will get any nectar from a rose. Now I just have to learn how to pronounce the names. I was corrected a few times at the cemetery outing (Rose people can be such snobs!, LOL)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Aww, Buford, tell 'em to put a sock in it. REALLY!

(I got laughed at, at the Water Board meeting, when I mis-pronounced "potable" water! Ours really isn't.)

But there's a nifty little book about pronouncing French rose names. Shelve it right next to the one on Gardener's Latin. :-)

As for identification ... Truth is, a lot of these Chinas were distributed as seed. So you have a jillion Red and Pink Chinas that aren't QUITE a known cultivar -- but close. And, gee, if I was a bride heading out for a place hundreds of miles from home, I might just take along "papers" of seeds: Mama's sweet peas, Gramma's red China Rose, and maybe Auntie's old Damask Rose.

What you'd get from seeds that actually germinated and grew, wouldn't be QUITE what the old rose at home was, but close. And a hundred and fifty years later, you'd have all these roses you couldn't quite identify.

Jeri

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

That explains a lot, Jeri, and it lets me off the hook, ID-wise. Buford, if I could just learn to speak French without my resilient Texas drawl rearing its head, I'd sound like a real high falootin' rosarian. Maybe you and I can take language lessons together. Or, alternately, we could carry lots of socks!

Carol

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Buford also asked about disease resistance. I don't grow Cramoisi, but Pat Henry of RU considers it bulletproof, and the climate at GSP is very similar to that of ATL.

It's odd, but here in Asheville teas and chinas seem to get a lot more blackspot than they do in the middle and lower South.

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

My Korbel Canyon Red China that I got from Vintage finally is taking off like a bat out of heck. I also have a nice LP and Korbel Canyon is blowing it out of the water with vigorous growth. The leaves on it are already as big as the leaves on a seven foot tall Mutabilis and it is only just under three feet tall.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living