Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

(Rose) Gardens in Maine

anntn6b
13 years ago

We are going on a road trip in early August and Maine as far north as Bangor is our destination.

Any suggestions for 'must see' rose gardens?

Has anyone seen the garden cemetery in Bangor, designed over a century ago, to see if it has roses?

Comments (13)

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

August is late to see many roses other than some moderns in bloom.. However the Maine Coastal Botanical Gardens are very nice and they are big as well..

Maine Botanical Gardens

I would also suggest to go to the following other than Coastal Maine Botanical gardens.. But I would also suggest if you are coming to maine to go to two sites.. Portland Head Light and Acadia National Park.. There is very few places as spectacular as Acadia..

Silverkelt

• mariannese
    13 years ago

As I live in Sweden I am not likely to get to Maine any time soon, but if I could I would visit Suzy Verrier's Northcreek Farm in Phippsburg to see her hardy roses. The whole place seems lovely, too.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

If you are interested in seeing wild rugosas, there is a lovely walking path in Ogunquit called Marginal Way. It is a paved walk for about a mile and a half along the beach. The rugosa fragrance is heavenly and the scenery along the path is beautiful.

I hope you have a lot of fun on your trip. Gean

• sunnny
    13 years ago

Anntn, You will LOVE Maine. I lived just outside of Portland for 2 years in my younger days and I would still be there if DH had liked the cold more.

Portland is a great city and if you have little ones there is a great Children's Museum downtown. Please make sure you go a bit further to Bar Harbor. It's GORGEOUS!! Fairy Beach is nice as well.

I've heard this nusery is nice but I've never been. My sweet mom still lives there and she's a long time gardner so I will also check with her.
    ENJOY MAINE!
    Sunny

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Sheep Meadow Nursery

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

I am jumping on the bandwagon for Bar Harbor/Acadia. One of our best family vacations ever, with or without roses! While whale-watching we got to see humpbacks bubble-net feeding, one morning we watched the sunrise from the first continental US appearance of the sun, Cadillac Mt., and of course August is blueberry season so we got to pick fresh blueberries every morning right outside our cabin, which bordered the park.

• veilchen
    13 years ago

The last time I visited North Creek Farm it was a mess. I'm not sure if they're really in the rose business anymore, the gardens seemed really let go.

I second Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, it is beautiful, and the design really says "Maine". But not very many roses.

Unfortunately there really aren't any public gardens featuring roses, except Deering Oaks Park in Portland, but that is mostly HTs.

I have a lot of reblooming Austins, you are certainly welcome to stop by my garden, I am right off I-95 south of Portland, would love to meet you!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

I love the coast of Maine----When my children were young we visted the coast ----we loved York Beach and stayed at the Cuttysark Motel----very close to the water when the tide was in-my kids loved it----Nubble Lighthouse--we also liked the motel at Pine Point---Ogunquit was great----We usually go to Maine off-season to avoid the crowds-

Kennybunk and Kennybunkport both really neat------

We had the best Lobster Roll sandwich on Tennants Harbor

Can you tell we just love that state---Bob and I have been back several times.

One thing I noticed was the air---it just seemed easier to breathe.

Have a great time and please keep us posted.

Florence

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

I would second veilchen, Old sheep meadow is still a mess, and the practitioners, are putting it mildly, not always the friendliest people..

Marginal Way is very nice.. RIGHT now! Its in bloom right now.. but its just mostly alot of Rosa Rugosas along a pathway.. Thompson Point Beach.. has something similiar , but again will be mostly passed by then.. though you cant go wrong going to a beach =)...

By August its going to be ratty with the JBs eating them most of the summer..

There are alot of nice people in maine and alot of nice gardens.. but not all of them will be in bloom by the time you show up... August is our last glory of summer here.. Parts of maine will have its first frost in August.. others as late as start of October time frame... You can Visit Susans farm.. but again she has alot of old garden roses.. with a mixture of rugosas and a few moderns.. mostly will be passed in August..

I wouldnt mind seeing your Gardens myself Veilchen.. Maybe we can make a arrangement if you let me know your full bloom time frame, I can drag my wife and kids down to take a tour! At some point in my new house the gardens will be up to standard to viewing.. but Im only in my second year here and starting from scratch.. which includes cutting down lots of trees and hauling in lots of compost and manure!

Silverkelt

• york_rose
    13 years ago

Seriously, if you don't live nearby and thus you're visiting Maine for what may be one of maybe two times in your life, very seriously, you must visit Acadia National Park. You don't even have to go to Mt. Desert Island to see spectacular views. There's a very small chunk of the park on the mainland. It's far less visited by crowds of tourists, but no less spectacular than the rest.

You must visit Acadia if you have not yet done so!

• silverkelt
    13 years ago

Agreed. its as pretty a part of the world as Ive seen.. Ive seen the ring of kerry in ireland and I would still say Acadia is prettier..

Silverkelt

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

I'd love to come south and visit Veilchen & Silverkelt's gardens. I'm fairly new at rose gardening but have lots of Clematis in Gardiner.

Anntn, you are welcome to stop by if you like, I am just a few miles off I95.

Marie

• bub381
    10 years ago

Looking for a good climber for the mid coast of Maine,Purple Splash seems like a good choice.I like anything but the old rose smell.I would be glad to get cuttings but would like to have a potted rose or 2.Disease res and Maine hardy.Some fragrance is good and the more the merrier.Any help appreciated.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

It's not much of a rose garden, but the botanical garden in Boothbay Harbor is simply incredible. I recommend it highly.

I don't know if August would be the best time to see Suzy Verrier's garden. The gallicas will be past their bloom. Of course she has rugosas as well. The next time I am in Maine I hope to visit there. I have enjoyed her books for years.

I will definitely go back to Boothbay Harbor again if at all possible.

Folly