Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicouris

Kronprinzessin Viktoria

ratdogheads z5b NH
10 years ago

This is my first bloom from Kronprinzessin Viktoria von Preussen. It opened yesterday and took my breath away. I wish I could make a 3-D picture that shows how very full the blossom is. This is the loveliest flower I have ever grown. I planted two this year, and I had gotten some mixed feedback about how well she would do in my climate. I'm hopeful that the plants will flourish, but can I just say that if they turn out to be runty, temperamental weaklings it will all be worth it if I can have just a couple of these wonderful blossoms each year.

Comments (11)

• annesfbay
    10 years ago

That is very beautiful, indeed. I agree, some roses are worth the extra effort.

Anne

• mariannese
    10 years ago

A very good photo! (And the first correct spelling of the name I've seen in a long time.)

I grow the Kronprinzessin in the same zone as you but my Swedish climate may be even harsher. It's in a good spot though. It has done much better for me than Souvenir de la Malmaison. The bush never gets tall but KV has flowered well most years since 2006.

• a_roy
    10 years ago

That's it, the "perfect rose" period.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous, but don't be disappointed if not all blooms are that perfectly formed.

KpV is a great rose for my climate, very vigorous and free-blooming, and, unlike others of that family, highly resistant to petal blight and balling. It is the best white bush rose I have ever grown.

I don't see why members of the SdlM clan couldn't be grown successfully as dieback shrubs in midwestern zone 5b, where there is summer warmth. They are such exuberant repeat bloomers. In my experience, canes are good down to about +5, so I wouldn't apply winter protection until the real cold arrives. I don't know whether mounding causes canker in this group.

This post was edited by michaelg on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:51

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Wow, what a gorgeous thing.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Perfection in petals!

Carol

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the encouragement and compliments. I am actually in southern New Hampshire about an hour inland. The zone maps put me in 5B, but when I look at the temps for 5/6, I think I'm really more of a 6. One of the challenges is the shortness of the growing season. Previously I lived in MA about 60 miles south, and while the temps were similar, the summer here is two weeks shorter on both ends. The other challenge is humidity & blackspot. So far the foliage looks pretty good, and I have not sprayed these.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Fragrance? Susan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have this rose, but the flowers rarely look as sumptuous as they do in your gorgeous photo, probably because it's so warm and dry here. Frankly, this rose hasn't done as well for me as its relative, Souvenir de la Malmaison, which is its neighbor. It's been beset by mildew this spring, which has really weakened it now for the heat of this summer. I hope it will pull through since it's always been a very good rose for me before, with lots of blooms, which look especially well in cooler weather.

Ingrid

• michaelg
    10 years ago

KpV is one of those roses that some people can smell and others can't.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I keep sniffing it hoping for something to develop. There's a very faint scent, not terribly appealing. Somewhere between medicinal and citrus...antibacterial dish detergent!