Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portia_gw

Recommend suitable rose for long hedge

portia
9 years ago

Thinking of putting a long hedge of roses between our front yard and the street instead of fencing. Ideally would be about 4-5 tall when mature, shrubbish attractive shape, able to withstand humidity and full sun, quick grower but not invasive, and repeat blooming.

Saw Belinda's Dream recommended elsewhere as a good potential, other suggestions? TIA

Comments (11)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I saw this done in TN, at the Hermitage, with R. rugosa. It must have been more than a quarter-mile long.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Species or near species rugosas are classic for this type of thing. If the dead grey canes during the winter are a problem, go for Therese Bugnet.

Was the Belinda's Dream recommendation from somebody local to you? I know several people in southern Connecitcut who were very disappointed with its performance. I couldn't get the silly thing to grow. It definitely behaves like a heat lover.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

'Carefree Sunshine' meets your requirements exactly. The foliage is an attractive bright green, and dense. It is a tremendous bloomer and repeater, rarely without a few flowers. It is highly resistant to blackspot. It must be deadheaded for good repeat, but a hedge trimmer is OK. There is a moderate, fresh fragrance. Color is soft medium yellow, fading to light yellow, and the combination looks good. Mine stays around 4' but has spread 6-7' wide over the years. I could keep it at 4x4, I guess.

• Clarion
    9 years ago

I am with the Rugosa crowd. Our very first roses were for a long rugosa rose hedge. Since then we've added almost 100 roses to our garden, half of them DA. We live in the city and are out of room, but still want more roses. Many times we have contemplated replacing the humble rugosa rose hedge so we could plant "better" roses. But we never do. There is just something about the rugosas that is endearing. The foliage is very attractive, they bloom by the millions, the coloring is wonderful, and they never need any attention except some pruning. Hard to beat!

We bought our hedge from Greenwood Nursery. We have otherwise never purchased anything from them, but I think they are the place to go for your hedge. I have posted the link, but I believe they have their summer option up now. In the winter (and perhaps fall) you can order for spring these roses in tiny bare-root bundles (smaller than bands). I believe they sell them in bundles of 12 or 24. This makes them extremely economical. The only caveat is the little roses are a bit fragile (no rose I know of except a rugosa could be shipped this small), so you must get them in (planted) very early in the year (late March/early April) in a normal year for them to survive (they ship them dormant).

They also make a lot of suckers, so you'll have plenty of roses to give away as they mature. We have taken to planting them in sidewalk strips, -thats how hardy these roses are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenwood Nursery

• Clarion
    9 years ago

This is a photo from when we first planted them. They ARE small, but as I say, VERY economical!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Wild Edric is an Austin that is a Hybrid Rugosa Shrub. It is very bushy and the height could be fine.

Lynn

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recos. Never would have considered Rugosa. The Belinda suggestion was from a thread on here where it was recommended as a great easy grower for a similar climate, not related to my specific ask.

Clarion thanks also for the purchasing specifics. Will check it out.

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also Clarion your hedge has given me more ideas aka I can use the space next to the hedge to add a flower border that we can see from the house! I'm always looking for more space for blooms.

Checking out the alba rugosa as I had white in mind for a mass planting. Our house is a long cape style with cedar siding so the white and green make a good contrast.

• Clarion
    9 years ago

Also, depending on your situation, you can begin and/or end your hedge with a post(s) and by doing so you'll have created a fine excuse to plant a lovely pillar rose(s)!

The Rugosas will be fine and bushy if you trim them to around 3' or 4' high each spring, but some of the exuberant new canes will flop over. If you leave them to their natural height of around 5' the now hardened canes will not flop, but they will be a bit leggy. You can solve the leggy problem by underplanting with "socks".

We've had our hedge in now for 10+ years and this year, for the first time ever, several of the roses have semi-double blooms (see pic). Strange, but endearing!

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

First learn as much as you can about Rose Rosette Disease. Then look around you for sick plants in public plantings and in woods.

Rose Rosette IS in your part of the world and will get into any long mass of roses.

(So far, it's not in Rhode Island which is why the fence touted above still works.)

Any monocultural planting is a target for pests; the problem with Rose Rosette is that RRv is both lethal and contagious.

I'm sorry to be such a downer, but it IS a serious problem and I'd hate for someone to sink several hundred dollars and lots of hard work into a fence that may be less than what they want it to be.

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ann, it looks like we do have it in other counties. I'll have to keep an eye out, but it wouldn't keep me from trying the hedge.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!