Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Some before and after showing growth so far

AquaEyes 7a NJ
10 years ago

The "after" shots were taken on June 2, and with all the rain we've been having in my area, there's even more growth as of today (two weeks later). If it wasn't raining right now, I'd go out and take some more pics. And I should really do the whole bunch, since the few below aren't even the most dramatic differences since the bands came.

Bear in mind these are just iPhone shots, and are just meant for reference. I'll be thinking about buying a real camera eventually.

:-)

~Christopher

'Sweet Chariot' arrived May 1, potted in 1-gal
{{gwi:278593}}

'Sweet Chariot' as of June 2
{{gwi:278595}}

'Lyda Rose' arrived May 1, potted in 2-gal
{{gwi:278597}}

'Lyda Rose' as of June 2
{{gwi:278599}}

'Baltimore Belle' arrived April 26, potted in 2-gal
{{gwi:278601}}

'Baltimore Belle' as of June 2 (with tree branch in pot for support)
{{gwi:278603}}

'Jaune Desprez' arrived April 26, potted in 2-gal
{{gwi:278605}}

'Jaune Desprez' as of June 2 -- see the shoot rising above the first "e" in "Desprez? That shoot is thicker than a pencil, and currently over 12" long. There are also two twigs stuck in the pot for support.
{{gwi:278607}}

Comments (43)

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, pretty good!
    Sweet Chariot was one of my favorite roses, extremely scented.
    One year it just never came back.
    Good luck with your roses!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Isn't that exciting when the new little babes begin to take off and grow and produce buds! You're doing well with yours--and we look forward to photos of your mature blooming beauties.

Kate

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    10 years ago

FYI Lyda Rose in my z6 garden throws out 4 ft arching canes all around, needing a circle 8 ft in diameter to grow in her natural shape. Literally, I could hardly see green leaves last week for all the flowers. I spray Bayer Advanced Disease Control every two weeks or so and never see any disease on her leaves.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I caught a pocket of time between the rains, and went out back to take a few more pics. Included is an updated-update of 'Jaune Desprez' showing the length of the shoot which was just coming up in the last pic of my first post.

'Jaune Desprez' June 13
    {{gwi:278609}}

"Bermuda Spice" potted in 2-gallon on April 26
    {{gwi:278610}}

"Bermuda Spice" on June 13
    {{gwi:278612}}

'Bubble Bath' potted in 2-gallon on May 1
    {{gwi:278614}}

'Bubble Bath' on June 13
    {{gwi:278615}}

'Monsieur Boncenne' potted in 2-gallon on April 26
    {{gwi:278616}}

'Monsieur Boncenne' on June 13
    {{gwi:278617}}

'Orfeo' potted in 2-gallon on April 25
    {{gwi:278618}}

'Orfeo' on June 13
    {{gwi:278619}}

'Reverend Seidel' potted in 2-gallon on April 25
    {{gwi:278620}}

'Reverend Seidel' on June 13
    {{gwi:278621}}

And just because it's my largest rose-in-a-pot, here are two pics of 'Souvenir de Victor Landeau' taken today (June 13). This came as a band in April 2012. It had a flush of flowers along the self-pegged canes a few weeks ago, and now another flush of almost-ready-to-pop buds is coming from new growth, as well as a second wave of tiny new buds on the old growth.

{{gwi:278623}}

{{gwi:278624}}

And finally, a "group-shot" of everybody. There are a few "empty-looking" pots. Those are 'Indigo' (which may have died after a fatal attempt at separating what I thought was two rooted cuttings in one band), 'Ducher' and 'Buff Beauty' (these came from Long Ago Roses already sprayed with fungicide, and that combined with the heat-wave which came through right after they arrived caused all six bands in my order to suffer, but these two completely defoliated...and I'm waiting for them to bounce back), and 'Crimson Glory' (defoliated by a squirrel, but starting to open up new leaves).
    {{gwi:278625}}

In the bottom right corner, you'll see four un-tagged 1-gallons. Those are Kim Rupert's 'DLFED 3' which came as unrooted pieces. I literally stuck them in my potting mix without rooting hormone, snipped back their leaves, and left them in bright shade. All four pieces are growing and have leafed out. One will be mine, one is going to PortlandMysteryRose, and two are up for grabs....any takers?

In the front row (bottom of picture), fourth from the right (or fifth from the left), is another 1-gallon with the one growing survivor out of four unrooted pieces of 'R. fedtschenkoana' which received the same treatment, but was the thickest stem of the bunch. I needed only one, so I count this as a success.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grandmothers_rose, thanks for the heads-up. 'Lyda Rose' was purchased as a gift for a friend and her boyfriend in their new house, so I'll keep that in mind when I bring it to them and think of where to plant it.

As far as spraying -- thus far, I've sprayed only once, and with only a modified Cornell mixture -- neem oil, baking soda, and liquid dish soap dissolved in water. A few weeks after the bulk of my roses arrived and were repotted, some were showing touches of mildew (actually, some ARRIVED with mildew). I soaked them all down around sunset, knowing that the next day would be overcast and cool, and the following day would be rainy. All the mildew disappeared and hasn't returned since. And I have yet to see any blackspot. I think it's a result of vigorous strong growth fed by a rich potting mix and abundant rain, plus the roses are sitting on pavement which doesn't stay wet in the sunshine, and they're in a good spot for catching breezes.

Last year, my six potted bands stayed clean until late October. They were similarly sprayed only once that season with the modified Cornell mixture, to clear a little mildew. And by late October, I honestly don't care if things get a little spotty -- most everything is going to sleep for Winter, anyway.

Of course, this may all change once things get planted in the ground.

;-)

~Christopher

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Wow! I have some bands from LAST YEAR that aren't that impressive.

Carol

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

They all look wonderful! I'll take one of the you don't need if you still have any! Just email me!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alana7bSC, it's yours -- just don't put it where you won't mind it spreading. Kim Rupert (aka roseseek) bred it from 'R. fedschenkoana' and he tells me it inherited its species parent's desire to take over the world. I'll be keeping mine in a large pot on pavement to make sure nothing escapes. But if you have a large yard and want something for a wilder area, this will probably work.

And that's the last one. I had three extras, and now they're all spoken-for. You'll get one, PortlandMysteryRose will get one in trade for an 'Indigo' sucker, and I'm passing the third on to Linda Loe of Long Ago Roses. I'm sure Kim will be itching to see how well one of his eclectic hybrids does so far from home -- in the PNW, the southeast, and mid-atlantic coast. I'll message you with my email.

~Christopher

• shellfleur
    10 years ago

Wow, you have quite a bit of planting to do. Good luck and have fun. They look really healthy! Shelley

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought 'Lyda Rose' as a band this year from Rogue Valley Roses, intending it as a gift for my former roommate and her boyfriend at their new house. Yesterday the first flower opened, and it smelled like musk and clove.

{{gwi:278626}}

Today a few more opened, and now I can smell the plant a few feet away.

{{gwi:278627}}

{{gwi:278628}}

And a shot of the whole plant in its 2-gal pot, showing growth thus far. Scroll up to the first post in this thread to compare it to how it looked May 1st.

{{gwi:278629}}

The "dead growth" you see in the plant is actually a small tree branch I stuck in the pot for support. I'm thinking I'll be OK letting this one flower to its heart's content. It seemed to focus on growing first without my interference so far.

~Christopher

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Christopher: Thanks for those great shots ... hopefully more people see that, so they won't hesitate to order roses on-line.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I showed a before and after of 'Reverend Seidel' earlier. Its parent, 'Rosa moschata' (single-flowered) seemed more intent on height before bushing out. This is how it looked when I potted it in a 2-gal container on April 25, 2013:
    {{gwi:277305}}

And this is it today (June 20, 2013):
    {{gwi:277306}}

Some of the leaves show black tips. This is because I noticed some leaf-eating critters and sprayed them all with a modified Cornell mix (1 tablespoon each Neem Oil, Baking Soda and Palmolive Liquid Dish Soap in a gallon of water -- my all-purpose spray, and the second time I used it this year). I noticed a couple days later some tip-damage on newer leaves where the spray collected. I try timing the spray for just before dusk on the day before it's supposed to be overcast or actually rain, but this time they must have gotten hit with full-sun before the rain washed off any excess.

~Christopher

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Christopher---You sure have a nice collection of roses----I love Lyda Rose----I have it right outside my kitchen window so It is a beautiful view while washing dishes---after blooming this year I cut it back a little bit.BTW--i'm just across the river from the capitol--same zone
    {{gwi:217888}}

{{gwi:278630}}

a great rose--
    Florence

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm posting another update on 'Orfeo' because it's really shooting to the sky lately. I had originally planned on using 'Jaune Desprez' to grow into the small tree in my front yard because I wanted something with fragrant flowers that hung down. 'Orfeo' is currently vying for that spot because while 'Jaune Desprez' is growing faster than I expected, it doesn't beat 'Orfeo' in height at the moment. In fact, the only one taller is 'Baltimore Belle'.

Here's 'Orfeo' when I first potted it into its 2-gal container back on April 25:
    {{gwi:278618}}

Here is 'Orfeo' less than a month ago, on June 13:
    {{gwi:278619}}

And here is 'Orfeo' today, on July 3:
    {{gwi:278631}}

~Christopher

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Christopher, you're doing splendidly well! I love that group shot with all your little (or not so little) beauties, and can already imagine what a wonderful garden you're going to have in the not too distant future. I admire your enthusiasm and your ability to grow healthy and large plants in such a short time.

Ingrid

• prickles
    10 years ago

AquaEyes: what a wonderful collection of roses you have, and all of them looking healthy! Love to see some bloom pics when you have them.

Oh New Brunswick, I used to live at the Colony House, George Street, with Buccleuch Park as the front lawn.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid! I really think it's been a combination of my potting procedure (see My Page for that, along with my inventory and a little about me) and all the rain that's been coming down in my area. I'm posting the updates here because I keep hearing about how finicky bands in pots can be, and I was hoping that things which have worked for me could be tried by others and hopefully work for them. And for my whole garden-pics album, see the link below.

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Garden Pics Album on Facebook

• jeannie2009
    10 years ago

Lyda Rose is sure a beauty. I'll have to order it next spring. Thank you for posting.
    I have Leda rose on order from Greenmantle which should be ready next spring. Have you ever ordered from them?
    Jeannie

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a nursery I haven't yet tried, for no particular reason other than that I was very happy with the few I used already and didn't have a need (yet) to look elsewhere. Most of my roses came from Vintage Gardens and Rogue Valley Roses, with the Austins and a few random OGRs from Heirloom Roses, and about ten from Long Ago Roses (which I should have tried first, being as I'm also on the East Coast). There's only a handful I wanted and didn't manage to snag this year, and I already have so many, so I don't see myself ordering any more for a while....i.e., until next year.

;-)

~Christopher

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Well you are absolutely doing something right! I find that I really love my pot ghetto. I love seeing the bands shoot up as yours have done. It feels good to nuture these precious little plants. You are growing many roses that I grow. I was really excited about Reverand Seidel. It's a rose that came up in Gregg's(Vintage) home garden. I've seen it and admired it there. Mine from this spring is in the ground now.

• hartwood
    10 years ago

This is a great way to show everyone that those tiny little rose bands can grow really quickly ... providing pretty much instant gratification. No need to be nervous about ordering little roses!

How about putting Baltimore Belle into your tree? Ramblers in trees are a thing of wonder, and BB is a beautiful, beautiful one! I'm curious, your tag says "reblooming clone" ... tell me more.

Connie

• ny_steve
    10 years ago

Christopher, very impressive, they look so healthy too. I like the mix of roses you have, many I have not seem before. I look forward to seeing them when they find there permanent home. Hope you stay inspired by roses, looks like you have a real talent got them! -Steve

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

Are you moving? Why are all of your roses in pots?

Sorry if you mentioned that before, but why didn't you plant them in april? There isn't much benefit keeping roses in 2 gallon pots or even 5 gallon ones.

I don't want to sound negative, last time I moved I kept 10 or so roses in 8 gallon containers for a year and it was still too small for some of them.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

In my soil planting bands in the ground is a recipe for failure. I have much better luck in growing them up further.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

prickles -- Sorry I missed your post. I've been in New Brunswick for a year now, and being as I still am not driving, I've done very little exploring. I do know George St, since I work on a street off it. I'll have to go to explore a little more on-foot, and on a day that isn't as hot and humid as it's been lately.

mendocino rose -- Yes, I'm liking 'Reverend Seidel' so far as well. It finally opened a few flowers recently, and they smelled just as strong as 'R. moschata', but with a slightly different smell. Best comparison I can make is that 'Reverend Seidel' smells like a cross between 'R. moschata' and "Darlow's Enigma", which I suppose makes sense, considering its presumed pollen-parent was 'The Garland'.

hartwood -- Yes, that's another reason I wanted to show the before and after pics. As to 'Baltimore Belle' in the tree -- I think the tree is actually too small for it. It's a Japanese Maple, about 12' tall, very open habit. The 'Baltimore Belle' I picked out for a friend, anyway. He has a better tree into which it can climb. And I wanted something with fragrant flowers that hung down. Originally, I envisioned 'Jaune Desprez' up there, but now I'm wondering about using 'Orfeo' instead. Color-wise, I'd prefer 'JD' because I'm going to plant 'Souv du Dr. Jamain' against the white porch railing, and I don't know how two different "dark reds" will look so close together.

As to the tag saying "reblooming clone" -- I put that on there because it came from Vintage Gardens. They say their 'Baltimore Belle' continues to bloom modestly through the summer. And when I searched 'Baltimore Belle' on HelpMeFind, two results came up. One says "repeat version" and is listed as being available only from Vintage Gardens. I'm not sure if it's a climate-induced rebloom or genetic, but I figured I'd try it out in my friend's yard and see if it works here. If it does, great -- and I'm glad I got one before the only supplier closed. If it's just a climate thing and the rose won't rebloom here, oh well....

NY Steve -- Thanks! I was really struggling with coming up with an order list over the winter, mostly because I didn't have a plan of "this goes there, that goes there, I want this to be there..." but knew I'd be getting started with making a garden this summer. I am a bit of a fragrance snob, and I also like finding things that are "different", and I wanted to try breeding a little, so those things factored into my list. And in the end, I just went crazy and ordered everything on my list, figuring that once they got here, I'd grow them on and be able to decide what's going where as I went along. Anything "left over" that I decide not to keep will go to friends.

silverkelt -- I just moved here last July, and wanted to make a garden here. There is work that needs to get done before I can plant (landlord has to remove a tree, rebuild my back porch, and I have to edge and prepare beds when that gets done). I wanted to get a bit of a head-start by getting bands this Spring and growing them on in 2-gal pots with a rich potting mix before they go in the ground in Autumn. For most of my planned bed-areas, I can't put them in the ground yet because the areas aren't prepared. And having them in pots, I can move them around before I decide where they will go, and be able to gift away those which I decide against using.

I was hoping to have much of the bed-prep done by now, but my landlord doesn't seem to be in much of a rush about getting things done here. Last time I saw him, he mentioned that he and his wife just moved out of their home and into a rental, while construction on their new home is being done on land they purchased for their "empty nest" years. And he is still recovering from back surgery. I might have to take down the tree myself.... :-/

mendocino rose -- My soil here is very much like what I remember encountering on Long Island -- dark clay. I haven't done tests, but being as I don't see any of the "barely-cared-for" hydrangeas in the neighborhood blooming in anything but purplish to blue tones, I'm guessing the soil is on the acid side. My landlord said that the soil in this town isn't very rich, but luckily I have the Rutgers University Ag Extension just a mile or two away, and they sell composted mixed manure (horse, cow, pig, sheep and goat) for half the price of the Bovung I got from Home Depot. And my landlord said that if I went by and offered to shovel the fresh stuff from the goat pens myself, I could get that for free.

~Christopher

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They're growing great guns! I love to see how quickly some of them take off and I do take full plant shots too to keep track of growth patterns.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Christopher it is a joy to see all your babies doing so well---I love your enthusiasm----
    My Lyda Rose was a very small band from Heirloom and I planted it directly in the ground---it was in a lot of shade and then we had to take down the big tree and she now loves the sun---BTW---I don't use any spray and she looks great-----
    Many years ago I had a rose right outside the kitchen door ---we had a plumbing problem and I had to pour soapy dishwash water on that rose and it was wonderful.I forget the name of the rose but I was much younger then---I wouldn't be able to carry the water outside anymore
    BTW---I love your blue pots---my favorite color---
    Florence

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zeffyrose, I couldn't help but chuckle. My "blue pots" are actually the town-provided recycling bins. I took the pics against them so the leaves would stand out better. But I agree -- I love the look of roses in blue pots.

I do love 'Lyda Rose' but I won't be keeping it. If I had more room, I'd find a space for it, but I already have four "fragrant white singles" in my inventory that I'm definitely keeping. I picked it out for my former roommate (Crystal) and her boyfriend (David), who bought their first house a couple years ago. It's perfect for them. They're nature lovers, vegan, and prefer "wild, untamed beauty." In 'Lyda Rose' I see the beauty of a simple, wild rose, but with the repeat bloom and "milder manners" of a garden rose. And I'll be sure to send them a link to this thread so they can see the pictures of your gorgeous 'Lyda Rose.'

When I was rose-ordering, there were a few I wanted to get to finally "meet" in-person, but wouldn't get planted here. They will be gifts, and I tried to match them up to their recepients' personalities and likes. 'Baltimore Belle', 'Georg Arends', 'Honorine de Brabant' and 'Golden Buddha' were also picked out with other friends in mind. And I'm sure that after I start figuring out what's going where that I'll have extras, and they'll be passed on as well. I already have some interest in the extra 'Indigo' pieces which were graciously sent to me by PortlandMysteryRose.

Seil, I'll keep adding pics as I notice dramatic changes. I've completely neglected the once-blooming OGRs, mostly because I expected them to grow fast, anyway. If you're on Facebook, I made my NJ Garden Pics album public. As of now, it's mostly "before" pics, but after putting together a garden out of a yucky yard back when I lived on Long Island, I regretted never having taken "before" pics to remember what it used to look like.

And a bit of good news: I live in a small 1 bedroom house on a shared lot with a "normal" sized 3 bedroom, 2-story house. We share a yard, and have the same landlord. The group who lived there when I moved here last July left, and one of the new tenants is a fellow gardener. She was excited to see all the pots when she moved in last month, and wants to help in the yard. She's here only 3 or 4 days a week, and I keep missing her.

But today she was doing some repotting of her houseplants and I was talking about how I'm still waiting for the ugly and overgrown Callery pear tree to get trimmed. She asked how I trimmed the arbor vitae, and I told her I had a pair of clippers and a small hand saw. She said if she could borrow them, she'd get started herself on the tree. Since I had time before I had to go to work, together we got started. But she kept going after I went inside to get ready.

When I came outside to leave, I was happily shocked -- she really tore into it! Finally, my spot under the arbor vitae will get full-sun for a few hours in the afternoon, as well as dappled in the morning (before today, it was just dappled). The branches are lying on the ground now, but I'll be able to clip them back to bits by hand (like I did with the arbor vitae trimmings) and lay them down in another bed-to-be. I am holding on to the thicker branches to make sort of rustic tripods.

Today I also set out the five I plan to plant in the bed pictured in this thread. They're still in their pots, but I managed to space them with 5' between them. It finally feels like the garden is starting to come together.

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Garden Pics Album on Facebook

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 22:11

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An updated-update on 'Jaune Desprez'. The new, thick cane which I pictured previously has now branched a few times, and is stiff and self-supporting.

All of 'Jaune Desprez' is green. Any brown stems you see are tree branches I stuck in the pot for support.

How it looked when I potted it on April 26th, 2013:
    {{gwi:278605}}

June 2nd, 2013:
    {{gwi:278607}}

June 13th, 2013:
    {{gwi:278609}}

The next three were taken today, July 8th, 2013. The small, thin stem on the right side is the same original stem that came when I received the band two and a half months ago. The thick cane on the left is all new, from the roots, and you can see it as it grew from the June 2nd pic on to today:
    {{gwi:278636}}

{{gwi:278637}}

{{gwi:278639}}

I'm happily surprised at the rate of growth on 'Jaune Desprez'. It's certainly not the biggest or bushiest, but I was expecting it to crawl at a snail's pace, being a yellow Tea-Noisette. Once the roots got enough energy to push that cane, it just kept going. I'm going to over-winter this in the garage or back enclosed porch and plant it next year. I want to keep pushing it to grow as much as possible before I set it free in the garden.

I'm still torn about two spots I have in mind. One is against the garage, perpendicular to one of the Gallica beds. The other is to climb into the green-leafed Japanese maple in the front. These two spots are set aside for 'Jaune Desprez' and 'Orfeo' but I'm not sure which is going in which.

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:40

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Christopher---that sure looks like one very happy rose

I think it is so exciting when a littl band springs forth like that

Florence

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Florence, I think I managed to give it what it wants, and I'm elated at the results. I still have a few bands that are inching along, but they were VERY tiny when they came. The Austins were mostly medium-sized bands, but sure took their time getting settled. Now they're catching up.

I've been doing some more bed prep in my off-time, as much as I can until the heat becomes unbearable. It's all coming together, albeit slowly.

~Christopher

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Christopher---It is a good thing you are young---I can't take this heat----just stepped out to water my windowbox plants and ran right back in to the AC
    .we live pretty close to each other so our temps are alike--
    One of our nephews is studying engineering at Rutgers
    --nice area--nice to hear you can pick up some manure for your plants--I'm sure they love it
    Florence

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually love the heat -- as long as I'm not expected to look presentable in it. My excursions to the yard for branch-cleanup (my neighbor and I started tackling the Callery pear ourselves) last about 2 hours, or until I'm uncomfortably sweaty or getting too many mosquito bites. And yes, as long as I have air conditioning inside for escape, I'm happy.

I moved here for Rutgers. It was my first-choice school for getting my PsyD in clinical psychology. I'm settling myself and getting my home comfortable first, then applying. I know once I start classes that I won't have extra income to fix up the place, so I want it done now while I'm working a lot.

As to being young, well.....I did turn 37 last month.

;-)

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I snapped a pic of 'Duchesse d'Angoulême' for JoshTx to show what I had of it for harvesting a cutting or two. It didn't bloom this year, but happily focused on growing instead. It's about 3' tall from the soil line and has maintained completely clean foliage.

Here it was when I potted it up on April 25 (just under three months ago):
    {{gwi:278642}}

And here it is as pictured yesterday, July 17:
    {{gwi:278643}}

Moral of the story -- don't be afraid to buy roses as own-root bands. They can quickly catch up in growth, if they have the genes and conditions for it.

~Christopher

• User
    10 years ago

Christopher, (catching up on this thread) about those yellow tea-noisettes.... here, Jaune Deprez is every bit as vigorous as Mme. Alfred Carriere (and 19 times thornier, it seems). Below is my JD from this spring. Those little pink specks up in the bay tree (flowers are yellow in cool conditions, pinker in heat) behind the rose are JD blooms. It goes to the top of the 20' bay tree and has proceeded on to climbing the redwood further back. This after I hacked it back ferociously last August. It has never been reluctant to grow, though it did take a few years for it to become a continual bloomer. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it continues to do in NJ! Reve d'Or had been another vigorous yellow tea-noisette for me.

{{gwi:278645}}

Beautiful JD bloom:
    {{gwi:278646}}

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Catspa----that is a beauty--
    Florence

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOVE IT!!!

While I can't expect mine to grow as rampantly here in zone 7 NJ, I did originally intend for it to climb a 12' Japanese maple in my front yard. I've seen pictures of 'Jaune Desprez' grown on a tall pillar with a flared top, and I was imagining it would work the same with a tall, open-habit Japanese maple. I might keep it potted until next year so it really has a fighting chance.

Is yours own-root or grafted? How long did it take to reach 6' tall? That's about the height mine would need to be to get into the lower branches of the tree here, but it'd be getting plenty of sun -- the tree doesn't leaf out until about 10' high in the center, and the sun hits the tree from the side most of the day.

I'd love to see more pics of your 'Jaune Desprez'. Feel free to post them here if you don't want to start a new thread.

Today hit 97F where I am, and very humid as well. This morning, when the temps were still only in the 80s, I went out back and snipped off any flower buds I could find on most of the roses, but I left the heat-lovers to do as they wish. This included 'R. moschata', 'Reverend Seidel', 'Jaune Desprez', "Darlow's Enigma" and "Secret Garden Musk Climber." I actually saw a few sprays of buds starting to form on 'Jaune Desprez', which I'm looking forward to seeing develop. So far, I let only one tiny flower open about a month ago. Now I want to see how they color differently in the heat.

~Christopher

• User
    10 years ago

My Jaune Desprez is own-root, from Vintage. I think I planted it in the ground around 2005 (from a gallon can, just a few months since receiving it as a band). The fence is 6' and it surely had a cane that reached the top of the fence by 2007. Here, it needs sun or it mildews.

My inspiration for obtaining JD was Graham Stuart Thomas' "The Art of Gardening with Roses", still probably my all-around favorite rose book for inspiration and sighs, even though I can't grow a lot of what is shown in those spectacular photos. Anyway, on p. 124 is a beautiful photo of "Desprez a Fleur Jaune" at Mottisfont and GST's comment that it is seldom out of flower (which I early on thought was a crazy statement, since mine did not really rebloom much at all for its first three or four years or so, but after that it has indeed been nearly continuous) and about its unforgettable scent. (I don't know of any other rose that smells like JD and it is worth it if only for that scent that wafts through the entire back yard.) He goes on to say it should be thinned out in winter (I'll say! And spring, summer, and autumn and in-between, so it won't eat the house -- the curse of an overly-mild climate).

JD does seem to be a natural tree-climber -- does it all by himself, no direction from me. I only trained him along the fence, to start.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Catspa, mine also came from Vintage, so I'm hoping it's equally vigorous. When I was compiling my list for this Spring's orders, I started the search by selecting roses listed as being 4/4 or 3/4 in fragrance strength, then looking them up individually. I imagined 'Jaune Desprez' growing into the green Japanese maple in my front yard, with its pale flowers hanging down, smelling them from my front porch. It wasn't until I had already ordered it that I started reading about how slow Tea-Noisettes are to take off, and that even in my zone 7, it might be too tender. I added 'Orfeo' as a second-choice for the tree, being as it also has fragrant flowers that hang down. And I've been going back and forth in my mind about which should go there. But your post has returned 'Jaune Desprez' to being my first-choice for the spot.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't take a pic of it, but I noticed when I got home from work tonight that 'Jaune Desprez' has just about reached the 6' tall mark in the Japanese maple. Sure, it's just one long lateral that's creeping up into the tree, but there's a bunch more going on a little further down. If this winter doesn't knock it back too much, I think it'll be reaching into the leaves by the end of next year. I'm hoping for more laterals to sprout as I tie stems to the horizontal tree branches, and then I'll just leave it to do its thing.

'Orfeo' is another climber that's been doing a nice job of growing up a tree (the Callery pear) this season. 'Souvenir du Dr. Jamain' isn't too shabby, either. And 'Nouveau Monde' is getting lots of new, thick shoots along its longest, thickest cane. I'll have to snap a few more pics tomorrow.

~Christopher

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

catspa,

I saw the image of your J.D. and it just took my breath away. Thank you :)

Lynn

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, so here are some shots of my baby 'Jaune Desprez' climbing into the old Japanese maple. The tip of the lateral on the left forked-trunk just hits six-feet tall. There are more laterals lower down which are showing lots of growth, so that one won't be alone for long.

{{gwi:297233}}

{{gwi:297234}}

In this shot, you can see 'Jaune Desprez' climbing the Japanese maple trunk, and the three roses I planted to go against my front porch. I removed the white azalea that was in the corner by the front steps and moved it to in front of the neighbor's house behind their mailbox. On the left is 'Souvenir du Dr. Jamain' which will be the big climber for the porch railing, and will continue to be trained to grow against it. In the middle is the once-blooming Hybrid China 'Duchesse de Angouleme' which will not get quite as big but will serve as a "living trellis" for a clematis I'll plant there next year. And on the right is the China 'Archduke Charles', which is thornless, and has flowers that open pink and age to cherry-red.

{{gwi:297235}}

This is 'Nouveau Monde' showing its one big fat cane (which sprouted new after the band was potted and grew-on a bit -- the thin stems lower down was what it had when it arrived) which I trained along the deck railing, and it's sprouting lots more along its vertical length.

{{gwi:278650}}

{{gwi:278652}}

'Orfeo' is being trained against the Callery pear tree. Its two long main-canes are "hugging" the trunk diagonally, and training them so prompted lots of laterals to sprout. These were previously growing straight-out horizontally, but I tied them against the trunk with string (for now -- as they grow, I'll cut the string back and use something less obviously-visible).

{{gwi:316838}}

{{gwi:316839}}

All roses mentioned in pics in this post came as bands this Spring -- none were from last year, and none came as 1-gallons. Lesson -- don't be afraid of bands!

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 15:02

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

I love to see roses growing up into trees----My Paul's Himalayan Musk has been a joy to behold over the years
    Florence