Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vasue

Summer Sale Roses Unlimited

vasue VA
9 years ago

Been checking daily for this - ones I'm after not listed, but perhaps roses you're searching for are? From Roses Unlimited home page this morning:

Summer Rose Bush Sale...

June 4, 2014 thru June 14, 2014...

All Sale Roses Must Be SHIPPED or PICKED UP by June 17, 2014...

No exceptions !!!

All Sales Are Final

2 yr. old inventory in Nursery Trade Gallon Pots

See "What's Happening Page" for Variety List...

$ 10 each...

(very limited supply - plants sold as is - First Come, First Served)

minimum 2 plants to ship...

minimum shipping $ 16...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sale list

This post was edited by vasue on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 12:01

Comments (28)

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you pay for plants here? Do you have to send a check?

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

They now accept debit/credit + 5.00 extra.
    It beats having to send a check or money order.

• vasue VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Their home page says they accept credit cards now (with a $5 extra charge). Haven't ordered from them myself, but hope to do so, as they are well regarded. From their home page (which is linked below):

Please Call: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (EST)
    Phone : (864) 682-7673
    E-Mail : rosesunlmt@aol.com
    Sorry...We are not set up to take orders through our website.
    We now accept CREDIT CARDS: VISA - MASTERCARD - DISCOVER. "$ 5 processing fee"

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Thanks! I guess I missed that. They have a few nice ones in their sale, and you sure can't beat that price.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Wow- I am so tempted to drive up to Laurens tomorrow...

• humble5zone9atx
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting us know about the sale, I got Francis Dubreuil and Anna Yung.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Just a heads-up -- many banks offer bill-pay online, which sends a check to a payee. If you set up Roses Unlimited as a payee, you can send the funds that way.

:-)

~Christopher

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I just looked on the website and it doesn't let you click on the roses so that you can read about and see pictures of the roses. I have had to write down ones I am interested in and then look up on help me find.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Yes, their website was what kept me from ordering from them previously -- I ended up buying the bulk of my plants from nurseries that let me navigate more smoothly. But this year I ordered a few HTs from Roses Unlimited and was VERY impressed with what I got -- big gallon-sized plants that were already the size my HT bands from last year reached by the end of the season. I won't be babying them -- they went right into their large barrel planters.

Yes, ordering was a bit more awkward than with RVR, Heirloom or Vintage, whose websites had a separate page for each rose which allowed you to more easily "shop." But if you know what you want and contact them about availability, what you get will make you happy.

Maybe they do most of their business as a store-front nursery, and thus haven't seen the need to update their web-ordering. Maybe they're simply not set up to handle a lot of shipping business. Whatever the reason, they spend that extra energy on growing great plants.

~Christopher

• portia
    9 years ago

are their 2 year plants the band size then?

• vasue VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, NOT bands - "2 yr. old inventory in Nursery Trade Gallon Pots". A "trade" gallon holds 3 quarts of soil. (Four quarts to a gallon is the same whether liquid or dry measurement.) A round trade gallon pot usually measures 6-3/8" across by 7-1/4" tall. A band usually measures 2-7/8" (3") square at top & bottom by 5-1/2" high and holds 1.25 quarts of soil. So the trade gallon pot is more than double the size of a band.

For a visual comparison, check the link. Think you'll see why we get excited about gallons for $10

Congrats to all who found what they seek at a sale price!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallon & band sizes

• portia
    9 years ago

yup, emailed them and they also said gallon, definitely a fantastic deal. seems they are already sold out of a few varieties (asked about comtesse de segur and charlotte).

• vasue VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scroll down the linked page past the sale rose list to see pictures (with yardsticks!) of the roses they send, as well as the phone number to call to place an order and the email address.

Sure wish the roses I want were in this sale, but the happiness of those who scored is so contagious I'm basking in rose delight secondhand!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sale list

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

rosesunlmt@aol.com

Not getting through on that email at all. AOL says it is permanent failure.

Ideas?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Try calling. The phone number is on the website. I don't know why the email doesn't work for you.

~Christopher

• humble5zone9atx
    9 years ago

It took me about 15 minutes to get through on the phone.

• portia
    9 years ago

I got Charles XII, Sidonie and Mons. Tillier.
    I emailed to start the order, then called in with the credit info.

Also took me about 3-4x of trying to get thru on the phone, it was busy each time. They must be swamped.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. Now if only RVR would put theirs on sale. ;)

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Phone has been busy, busy, busy, but got an immediate and helpful response to my e-mail (addressed to RosesUnLMT@aol.com ).

Most teas I asked about were still available except for 'Rainbow' and 'Mme de Watteville'.

Like Oscar Wilde, I can resist everything except temptation, so I ordered 4 roses- my first rose order evah! But I've been reading and researching here and elsewhere, and am cautiously optimistic that I can do this. And if I'm wrong, at least I got a good deal!

Good luck,
    Virginia

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I bought Lady X, a pale lilac hybrid tea bred by Marie-Louise Meilland, France, 1965. It ships out Monday.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I have a bevy of Teas and a Shrub rose coming from RU.

Mme. Berkeley
    General Schablikine
    Mme. Lombard
    Gilbert Nabonnand
    Souv. d'Elise Vardon - I really want to find an Apricot-Pink toned tea that works well here now that Adam is close to death it appears. Lady Roberts is a little large, but I may end up trying her in the future.
    Lyda Rose

I'm rather confident these should all do well with the possible exception of Souv. d'Elise Vardon. The first two Teas are going into my parents' redesigned yard and the rest will stay with me.

Jay

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I thought their tea rose section was the most tempting, and sounds like a wonderful deal for anyone with the right climate.

Ingrid

• hartwood
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting this, Sue! I sent an email to order Betty Uprichard and Bonnie Jean to fill the last two holes in my front yard Hybrid Tea garden. Yippee!

• hartwood
    9 years ago

It took a couple of emails back and forth with Pat Henry, but my order is confirmed and will be pulled on Monday. She was sold out of Betty Uprichard, so I substituted Charlotte Anne. Very excited to get these roses to fill the final two spots in my front Hybrid Tea garden (with a few Floribundas and a Polyantha or two in there).

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I received my roses from the sale!

• chillyfreetoes
    9 years ago

Mine are here, too! Although, I'm still deciding where exactly to put them . . .

• portia
    9 years ago

Mine arrived too, the canes are so long, I have no idea how they got them all into the boxes with no breakage. Now to figure out where to plant. ;)

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Mine arrived Wednesday p.m. Unpacking was tricky given elaborate packaging and fading light, but that packaging got 4 nice-sized roses to me without any damage, so no complaints.

I received 3 Teas ('Souvenir de Victor Hugo', 'Enchantress' and 'Maman Cochet'' and 1 Noisette: 'Mount Vernon Purple Noisette' AKA 'Mrs Woods Lavender-Pink Noisette'. All are good-looking plants, but I am especially captivated by 'Enchantress' with her neat habit and gorgeous foliage.

I potted them up in 3-gallon pots the next morning- here's a photo of them just after that, but before some staking was added to stabilize them- 'Enchantress' really didn't need staking, but the other three were a bit wobbly in their pots...

An early-morning rain was a nice welcome, and so the photo's a bit glarey- the large pot in the back has a fig tree in it (and a couple of volunteer squashlings).

• paparoseman
    9 years ago

Just received my roses from the sale yesterday. I bought two sale roses and two of their regular list. I got four tea roses:

Bridesmaid
    Aussie Sixer
    Tipsy Imperial Concubine
    Madame Bravy

They are really good size and ready to go straight into the ground.