Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organicgardendreams

Baronne Prevost and Salet

Despite good intentions NOT to buy anymore roses this year I fell for the Heirloom OGR sale last week!

I got Baronne Prevost and Salet yesterday already! They are small but otherwise healthy.

I would like to ask, what are your experiences with these roses (especially disease resistance, repeat, flower quality and color, height and width, suited as cut flowers, cultivation tips etc.)? If you have any photos of Baronne Prevost and/or Salet, I would love to see them!

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments (24)

• jerijen
    14 years ago

In our area (coastal SoCal) Baronne Prevost is one of a tiny handful of HPs that perform here.
    We've had it for the better part of 20 years.
    We grow it as a lanky climber, tied up to the retaining wall. It gets morning sun, but little or no afternoon sun (depending upon the season).
    It's resistance to mildew and rust are not complete, but are very very good.
    It's great in a vase for us. We have exhibited it, and won with it.
    =================

Salet I think is lovely, but I've not grown it. Most mosses mildew here, and are generally poor bloomers. A few miles inland, it might be fine. I think it's a gorgeous thing.

Jeri

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jeri,

thanks for the response!

Baronne Prevost looks like a good HP for my climate. I am really happy to hear that, since I love the flower shape and colors of HP's!

Salet on the other hand might be a trial and error thing, but I couldn't resist the temptation to try out a moss rose. I have never grown one in my life and I think, I haven't even seen one in person.
    I didn't know that moss roses have a tendency to mildew in coastal CA and I doubt that I am far away enough from the ocean influence that it makes a real difference. In fact with all the June gloom I feel my climate is more influenced by the ocean than I assumed and right now almost all of my roses suffer from mildew.
    I also didn't know that moss roses are poor bloomers in general!
    Hmm..., altogether that doesn't sound to encouraging in terms of little Salet. Maybe next time I should do my research BEFORE I order my roses!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I have Salet and another moss, Alfred de Dalmas, and live about 20 miles inland. Because of the gloomy weather I've had mildew on Single Cerise China, Cl. Pinkie, Celine Forestier and a few others, but none at all on my two mosses. Salet is supposed to be the best rebloomer of the mosses so perhaps all is not lost. Mine is very young and has not bloomed so I can't comment on rebloom, but AdD has decent rebloom. You won't know until you try a rose in your own garden, and I hope you have a good outcome.

I had Baronne Prevost in a previous garden nearby and she did well, even though I didn't water and fertilize enough. The rebloom was poor, probably because of my neglect. She was planted far away from the house, if that's any kind of excuse. Very pretty and fragrant, though.

Ingrid

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid, interesting that you don't have mildew on your moss roses! That's good news!
    My husband has estimated that we live 15 to 20 miles away from the ocean, so we should have almost identical growing conditions, but judging the photos from your garden it looks more dry and hotter in your place in comparison to where we are.
    I totally agree with your statement, that you have to try to grow a rose in your own garden, if you really want to know how it is doing and that is exactly what I intend to do with Salet, since it is already here now.
    Because yours is also a young rose I would be interested to stay in contact with you and compare how our Salets are doing, what do you think?

I am glad that in general you are confirming Jeri's observations regarding Baronne Prevost! Can't wait to see its first flower!

Thanks for your input!

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Well, I don't know that mosses will mildew in EVERY coastal climate.
    I just know that they do it here.
    Salet is a wonderful rose, and worth giving it a try.
    I've grown a good many roses of classes that shouldn't grow or bloom well for me.
    And sadly, most of them indeed did NOT fare well here.
    But hey! I tried it, and now I KNOW what they do. That's worth something.

Ingrid, with more water, and maturity Baronne Prevost would probably have bloomed more for you. But as time goes on, "more water" is likely to be scarce.

Jeri

14 years ago

organicgardendreams, you have to take into account that I'm about 2000 feet up on the side of a hill full of boulders that retain the heat, and that probably explains the difference. It gets hotter and colder here than it does a few miles away where the elevation is lower. For us, a small price to pay for the scenery. Yes, let's stay in touch about Salet, I'd be very interested to see how yours does in comparison to mine. I hope it likes both our gardens. I believe I ordered Salet and some other bands from last September's Heirloom Roses sale and they were all puny, but at $7.95 it seemed worth a try. They haven't grown much since and your rose may beat mine very soon. I don't order from them otherwise since Vintage has bigger bands and a vast array of old roses, and I very much want to support their efforts.

Jeri, I'm not sure that we have a coastal climate in the sense that you do, and that may make the difference because I know you have vastly greater mildew issues than I do. I don't know that I would grow Baronne Prevost again because the bush itself did not please me, and I much prefer the foliage of the teas and chinas. My only HP, Barbara Worl, fortunately has much nicer foliage than BP, and is really thriving. Thank you for "enabling" me. Earlier today I put ONE bloom in a small glass and it looks splendid. You can't do that with just any rose. I can't wait to see how she'll do next year.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    14 years ago

You're welcome Ingrid!
    No, you are DEFINITELY not coastal in the sense that I am.
    AAMOF, just a few miles inland from here, on the far side of the Conejo Grade, conditions are wildly different.

I'm glad you're enjoying your "Grandmother's Hat." It's a beauty.
    And I have a suggestion. If you enjoy GramHat, try 'Gloire de Rosomanes' ("Ragged Robin").
    The two have many similarities, and the clear red of 'Gloire des Rosomanes' is a beautiful sight in the garden.

{{gwi:279369}}

Jeri

• bebemarie
    14 years ago

Jeri,

Your photos are always so wonderful. I certainly hope to visit your garden someday. It will be a treat.

Diane

• jbfoodie
    14 years ago

I have Salet in the SF Bay Area. My microclimate is hot with some overcast, but no fog. Salet is a great rose for me. It reblooms well and is one of my favorites. OGD, you definitely should try it.

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeri, you are right, I was a little too quick with the generalization that I assumed when moss roses mildew for you that they would do that in all coastal CA. I have to be more careful with that.
    Thanks for the encouragement to give Salet a try!

Ingrid, our property is located on top of a small hill in a typical San Diego suburban development. It borders in the back onto an open space area, which slopes down. We are definitively not 2000 ft high, which for sure makes a huge difference in the climate even though the distance of our properties to the ocean might be almost the same!
    In terms of comparing our Salets (see photo below), it is interesting to know that your band also came from Heirloom Roses.

Jeri, gorgeous photo of 'Gloire de Rosomanes'! You never run out of ideas how to tempt people to get some more beautiful ORGs, do you?

jbfoodie, that sounds wonderful, what you have to say about Salet! I am really excited to see how this rose will do for me, here.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I am still hoping that someone might post pictures of these roses. I also would like to know about the mature size (height and width) that these rose can reach for a better idea where to place them in the garden.

Here is a photo of my bands that arrived three days ago from Heirloom roses. The left one is Salet and the right one is Baronne Prevost.
    {{gwi:279370}}

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I can't help you with a photo of the plant -- As I said, it's a lanky climber here, and we're happy with it that way. But I CAN show you what the bloom looks like here.

{{gwi:279371}}

Note this plant is a good 20 years old, and almost certainly virused, but it's still pumping out lovely blooms.
    It is sited against our big retaining wall, in morning sun only.

Jeri

• jbfoodie
    14 years ago

Here is Salet in spring of 2008. It is to the right of Lady Hillingdon. The blooms have not yet opened, but it is the only bush shot I have.
    {{gwi:279372}}

Here is a bloom from spring 2009:
    {{gwi:279373}}

Salet has grown a lot since last year and desperately needs pruning back. I hope you enjoy your Salet.

14 years ago

jbfoodie, what great shots of Salet! I literally gasped when I scrolled down to the bloom. I adore all those small, curly petals. It's a very nice bush too. I hope mine will someday look as good as yours. Thanks so much for those great pictures.

Jeri, that's the Baronne as I remember her. Amazing that a 20-year-old virused plant can still have such beautiful blooms.

Ingrid

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeri, thank you very much for posting this beautiful flower of Baronne Prevost. I know now, what I have to look forward to when my own rose flowers. Can't wait for that moment to happen!

jbfoodie, your bush shot of Salet was exactly what I was looking for! I am happy to see that the rose produces a nicely shaped bush. And you had so many buds on it last year, wow! I love the flower pic! Now I only can hope that my Salet will develop into such nice plant as yours, if that is the case I have no doubts that I will enjoy this rose tremendously. Thank you sooo... much for making the effort to post those two photos!

• buford
    14 years ago

I have 3 Barrones from Heirloom. This is their 3rd year. We saw a bed of them at Biltmore and DH fell in love with them. My conditions here in the SE are a bit different than yours, to say the least. Mine have really taken off this spring, finally losing that lanky look and filling out with all the rain we've had. They are blooming quite well and the fragrance is outstanding. I have them at the very front of my yard and I'm hoping they are an eye popper.

The only problem I've seen with them is that some of the buds wilt and turn yellow and fall off. I'm not sure what causes this. But since they are young and we've had drought like conditions the first 2 years I've had them, I'll wait and see if it continues.

I have a pic from the Biltmore trip. For some reason, I can't get photobucket to work today to show you one of mine:

{{gwi:279375}}

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

buford, thanks for your report on your three Baronne Prevost bands from Heirloom. I know our conditions are different, but it is encouraging to hear that your bands have taken off after three years and that they have even lost their lanky growth habit and fill out nicely, flowering well and the fragrance is strong. I am so much into fragrant roses :-).

Thank you also very much for posting the very beautiful picture of the flower of Baronne Prevost. To bad that Photobucket wasn't working today for you, I would have loved to see your Baronnes, especially a bush shot!

You made me even more convinced, that I have picked the right rose for me! Now it just has to grow!

• organic_chief
    14 years ago

Here is a photo of a 1 year old Salet from Heirloom. I hope you enjoy yours.

[IMG]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee225/eochief/006-4.jpg[/IMG]

• organic_chief
    14 years ago

Can someone give me some advise for posting pics from photo bucket?

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Jeri, that's the Baronne as I remember her. Amazing that a 20-year-old virused plant can still have such beautiful blooms.
    Ingrid

*** Not ONLY 20+ years and virused. She also spent about 4 years imprisoned in runaway English Ivy. I thought she was gone. But once we killed the Ivy, by golly, she came bouncing back.
    Gotta love a rose that can take that sort of licking and keep on ticking. :-)

Jeri

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

organic chief, oh my gosh, what a beautiful plant your Salet is and so floriferous! I can't stop drooling over your photo. I am soo... happy that this rose has not only beautiful blooms, but also builds up a very nice bush. Your rose is amazing for a one year old band! I am really happy that I decided to go for Salet, even though I didn't know much about her, when I placed my order. I just hope it will do as well here under my conditions as it does for you.

Sorry I can't help you with directions how to post pictures over photobucket. When I post photos, I am a little bit embarrassed to say, that I have to ask my husband for help!

I still hope that someone is able and willing to post a full bush shot of Baronne Prevost. I find, that besides seeing the lovely flowers of a rose it is as important to know, how the whole plant looks. I noticed that the longer I grow roses the more it means to me, that the bush shape is nice, too, not only the flowers of the rose. Or if the bush shape is problematic, that the rose can be trained in a nice way ;-).

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Organic Chief:

When you have uploaded your image to Photobucket, run your cursor over the image.

A series of boxes will appear below it.
    They're as follows:

Email & IM
    HTML Code
    IMG Code

After each of those labels, you will see an URL.

Mark and copy the URL that is labelled HTML Code, and paste it into your message.
    When you PREVIEW your reply, the image should be there.

Jeri

• organic_chief
    14 years ago

{{gwi:279376}}

• jerijen
    14 years ago

HOORAY! You got it!

Jeri

• organic_chief
    14 years ago

jerijan,
    Thanks for the instructions!