Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Abbey rose collection - long...

jerome
12 years ago

Some of you have asked me what roses we grow at the abbey. Here is a (more or less) current list of the varieties we have. Hope some of you will decide to visit here sometime. Take care!

Abbey Roses 2011

Teas

1. Adam

2. Alliance Franco Russe

3. Baronne Henriette de Snoy

4. Beaute Inconstante

5. Clementina Carbonieri

6. Devoniensis - bush form

7. Devoniensis climbing

8. Duchesse de Brabant

9. E. Veyrat Hermanos (climbing tea)

10. Etoile de Lyon

11. Faith Whittlesey

12. Francis Dubreuil

13. General Tartas

14. Goubault

15. Huntington Pink Tea

16. Lady Hillingdon

17. Lady Roberts

18. Le Pactole

19. Mlle de Sombreuil

20. Mme. Antoine Mari

21. Mme. Berkeley

22. Mme. Joseph Schwartz

23. Mme. Lombard

24. Maman Cochet

25. Marie Legond (Mrs. Foley Hobbs)

26. Miss Atwood

27. Monsieur Tillier

28. Mrs. B.R. Cant

29. Mrs. Dudley Cross

30. Niles Cochet

31. Niphetos

32. Rosette Delizy

33. Soncy

34. Souvenir de Pierre Notting

35. White Maman Cochet

36. William R. Smith

37. Marie van Houtte

Tea-Noisettes

1. Alister Stella Gray

2. Bouquet d'Or

3. Chromatella

4. Crepuscule

5. Duchesse d'Auerstadt

6. Marechal Niel

7. Mme. Berard

8. Celine Forestier

9. Reve d'Or

10. Lamarque

Noisettes

1. Aimee Vibert

2. Champneys' Pink Cluster

3. Roselle Noisette

Chinas

1. Eugene de Beauharnais

2. Spice

Moss

1. Alfred de Dalmas

Polyanthas

1. Mlle. Cecile Brunner (spray)

2. Perle d'Or

English (Austin)

1. Abraham Darby

2. Brother Cadfael

3. Carding Mill

4. Charles Darwin

5. Crown Princess Margareta

6. Cymbaline

7. Evelyn

8. Glamis Castle

9. Golden Celebration

10. Graham Thomas

11. Harlow Carr

12. Janet

13. Jude the Obscure

14. Molineux

15. Perdita

16. Radio Times

17. Scepter'd Isle

18. Sharifa Asma

19. Strawberry Hill

20. Tamara

21. Teasing Georgia

22. The Dark Lady

23. The Generous Gardener

24. William Shakespeare 2000

25. Young Lycidas

Hybrid Perpetuals

1. Grandmother's Hat

2. Forest Ranch Pom-Pom

3. Jacques Cartier

4. La Reine

5. Old Town Novato

6. Yolande d'Aragon

Bourbons

1. Mystic Beauty

2. Variegata di Bologna

Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras

1. April in Paris

2. Brandy

3. Brigadoon

4. Classic Woman

5. Condesa de Sastago

6. Dames de Chenonceau

7. Double Delight

8. Firefighter

9. First Prize

10. Francis Blaise

11. Gemini

12. Halloween

13. Just Joey

14. Lemon Spice

15. Leonidas

16. Moonstone

17. Mr. Lincoln

18. Mrs. Lovell Swisher

19. Peter Mayle

20. Pope John Paul II

21. Queen Elizabeth

22. Radiant Perfume

23. Roberto Capucci

24. Secret

25. St. Patrick

26. Strike it Rich

27. Sweetness

28. Tahitian Sunset

29. Tchaikovski

30. The Doctor

31. Tiffany

32. Tropicana

33. Unforgettable

34. Versigny

35. Yves Piaget

Floribundas

1. Brilliant Pink Iceberg

2. Etrusca

3. Our Lady of Guadalupe

Albas

1. Felicite Parmentier

2. Mme. Plantier

Climbers

1. Joseph's Coat

Comments (47)

• rosefolly
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a glorious collection! I hope very much to see it someday.

Rosefolly

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous collection! My mouth is watering at the many teas you have. You obviously have a lot more room than I do to have so many large roses. Your spring bloom must be magnificent, especially since you've gardened long enough to have mature bushes.

Ingrid

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosefolly...please do visit. Feel free to email me if you like. fatherjerome2000@yahoo.com

Ingrid, thanks very much. I wish I knew in 2004 what I know now. I had no idea how big things would get or how to garden in "big gestures". Now I'm grateful for the space, and plant accordingly. When I see some of the configurations I made a few years ago, I laugh out loud. Things I've learned:

Mme. Berkeley gets big!
    Rosette Delizy gets really big!
    Souv. de Pierre Notting gets enormous.

I'd learned these things before putting in Peachiekean's Teasing Georgia, so it had enough room from the getgo, and it's perfect. Gardening is great.

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also have a rose by Viru Viraraghavan, "Pat Henry" from Roses Unlimited. Forgot to include it. It's wonderful. Fragrant and beautiful growth. Just planted in April, so I don't know more than that it blooms a ton. Very glad I ordered it. The photo on HelpMeFind is lovely, but doesn't do the rose justice. I'll try to post pics soon.

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Wow, Jerome, you have a lot to take care of, but it must be glorious. I hope my Souvenir de Pierre Notting isn't going to be enormous. It only has room to be smallish medium!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sherry! I can't speak for SdPN in your climate, because I notice Florida roses grow different from here. Souvenir de Pierre Notting here in about 5 years got to be about 6 x 6. I pruned them (there are 2 of them) rather hard this year. I would not do it again...they're pouting now. They're not damaged, just pouting. The evidence of it is the tons of mildew on the new growth and spindly leaves. Live and learn.

Some people who've taken cuttings from my SdPN have plants that have not gotten as large for them...so I don't know what's going on there.

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

What a wonderful list Jerome. I can just imagine walking through the garden. I really hope that Michael and I can visit some time. I wrote down your e mail. Have you put the garden on HMF? It's such a great way to organize everything and share photos. Others would enjoy looking at the garden there too.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Father Jerome, one day I will. I have family in the LA area that will bring me to that part of the state at some point. Thanks for the kind invitation!

R

• cath41
    12 years ago

Jerome,

Where oh where did you get 'The Doctor'? I love it but have not seen it available for years. It did not do well for me but I would still like to try it again. Maybe it likes sunny California better than our Ohio weather, HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter.

Cath

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Jerome, I can't imagine two climates more different than yours and mine - but yet some of the roses that do well for you do well here. Okay, not that many but:

Faith Whittlesey
    Spice
    spray Cecile Brunner
    Jacques Cartier

we grow in common and they are all fine here too. Isn't that wonderful?

Devoniensis survived the winter and has grown back; I planted Lady Hillingdon and Madame Berkeley this spring and maybe they'll do well too. High hopes here. Gean

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't like to say this too loudly - but Devoniensis is not a rose I'd ever replace or try again. Here it is covered with mildew, is a scrawny plant, has ugly growth patterns (I speak of both bush and climber) and has shown these traits for 6 years. Every time I see Jeri Jennings photo of the beauty up in San Juan Bautista, I am overcome with the beauty of it. That plant is from a different planet than mine. I am not going to shovel prune them, but not because I wouldn't - I just don't want to have to admit on this forum that I shovel pruned 4 Devoniensis! :-/

It may be wonderful - but in this little corner of God's Garden - it stinks!

Cath - I got the Doctor from a friend (Luanne) as a gift. I think she ordered it from Ralph Moore's nursery. I also know RU has it. My plant pined away for about 4 years, and I finally gave up about 18 months ago and pulled it out of the ground with its 2 roots to throw it out. Our Fr. Ambrose saw it and said, "Father Jerome, may I take this....?" so of course I let him. This year, I was walking down by the novitiate and saw this healthy vigorous rose growing - "What's that one, Fr. Ambrose?" "The Doctor, Fr. Jerome..." Hmmm...sometimes they just want a change of scenery, yes?

• cath41
    12 years ago

Fr. Jerome,

Thank you so much for the sources for 'The Doctor', I would be ecstatic if "...a change of scenery..." would do it.

Cath

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I don't like to say this too loudly - but Devoniensis is not a rose I'd ever replace or try again. Here it is covered with mildew, is a scrawny plant, has ugly growth patterns

*** Don't feel badly.
    We also shovel-pruned three or four of it.
    The beauty from San Juan Bautista (we did not visit it this spring. I hope it still lives) yielded up healthy plants.
    One is in the Sacramento Cemetery, and one will go into the ground here, this year.
    It's disease-free and blooms generously.
    I don't think it will reach (in my lifetime at least) the proportions of the mother plant -- but I don't care.

Gregg Lowery found another like it, in the old Santa Rosa Cemetery. Some fool pruned it, and it is gone.

Jeri

• peachiekean
    12 years ago

I guess my veggie garden roses Mme. Berkeley and Souvenir Pierre de Notting will quickly outgrow their space. I'll enjoy them until they do. I am about to sp Perle des jardins. Scrawny and mildewed. And replanting Catherine Mermet did wonders for her. I'm now treating her like a HT instead of a tea.
    Mary

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Jerome---I had no idea you had such a large and varied collection of roses--

You have no idea how thrilled I would be to visit your garden and meet you---

Doesn't look like it will happen but 'I can dream can't I'--( reminds me of an old song )

Florence

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should update this now...since we've planted about 100 more roses just this past 5 weeks!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

And it was already an amazing collection before you did that!

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Looking forward to the update---

Florence

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

Father Jerome would you consider getting cuttings from them?

Jessica

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure, we give cuttings to friends all the time from the roses not under patent. I really need to revise the list soon. We have added, in no particular order:

Teas:

1. G. Nabonnand

Tea-Noisettes:

1. Jaune Desprez
    2. Madame Alfred Carriere

English Roses:

1. Munstead Wood
    2. Lady of Shalott
    3. Princess Alexandra of Kent
    4. The Alexandra Rose
    5. Buttercup
    6. Windflower
    7. Jubilee Celebration
    8. Lady Emma Hamilton
    9. The Alnwick Rose
    10. The Pilgrim
    11. Tea Clipper
    12. Mary Rose
    13. Redoute
    14. Winchester Cathedral
    15. Gentle Hermione

Holy Christmas! That's crazy of me. Anyway, I should start to make a list and a map of all the beds...this is getting to be a big group of roses.

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

General Schablikine

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

so bizarre, here Devoniensis has never mildewed. So glad you're having fun in the garden.

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I wish I could travel to meet you and your roses.
    I love Tea roses most of all and you grow many of my favorites.

Would you possibly have time to list your top 3 (or 4 or 5)
    favorites of each class of rose that you grow?

Thanks,
    Luxrosa

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lux...I'm changeable, and my tastes have changed over the years. Right now, my favorites (in no particular order)

Teas:
    1. Souv. de Pierre Notting
    2. Mons Tillier
    3. Niles Cochet
    4. White Maman Cochet
    5. Faith Whittlesey (sp?)
    6. Rosette Delizy
    7. Miss Atwood
    8. Mme. Berkeley
    9. Marie van Houtte....sorry so many Teas, but these really are splendid....
    oh and 10. Etoile de Lyon and 11. Le Pactole

Hybrid Perpetuals:

1. Grandmother's Hat
    2. Old Town Novato
    3. Forest Ranch Pompom

Tea-Noisettes
    1. Lamarque is stupendous
    2. Reve d'Or looks promising....but all this class takes forever to take off here.

Chinas

1. Spice is great

Polyanthas

1. Perle d'Or is wonderful

Hy Teas and Grandifloras:

1. Firefighter
    2. Secret
    3. Gemini
    4. DAMES DE CHENONCEAU (get it!)
    5. Versigny
    6. St. Patrick
    7. Tchaikovski
    8. Lemon Spice
    9. Tahitian Sunset

English

1. Abe Darby
    2. Golden Celebration
    3. Young Lycidas
    4. Brother Cadfael
    5. Graham Thomas
    6. Crown Princess Margareta
    7. Molineux (sp?)
    8. CARDING MILL
    9. Teasing Georgia
    10 Scepter'd Isle.

Also....Felicite Parmentier is a great rose here. Alba, that.

Sorry there are so many on my list...I was in a rush and didn't have time to make it shorter and really ponder. All the ones I listed are wonderful here.

• annabeth
    12 years ago

I'd love to see this list ILLUSTRATED. I'll repeat a question asked above: Do you have the Abbey listed on HMF? Are you on HMF? Excuse my ignorance, but I don't even know the name of your Abbey. I know of one in So Cal called the Prince of Peace Abbey. Is that yours?

Annabeth

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Annabeth....it's St. Michael's Abbey in Silverado, Norbertine Order (Prince of Peace is Benedictine) I need to put some work into my HMF page. It's a question of finding the time. I'll try and take more photos and put them up. Thanks to all for your interest.

• annabeth
    12 years ago

Please do...I'll be watching for them!

Annabeth

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just ordered Le Vesuve from Vintage....more varieties....

• kittymoonbeam
    12 years ago

Do you have friends there who like to garden with you? I imagine that it feels like a family there. What a wonderful way to live. I'm sure that there will be loving hands to care for the roses for many many years. Even though I'm living by myself, I like to sing monastic chants when I'm in the garden because they are so beautiful and they bring joy and peace to my heart.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I didn't know Jerome is a father, a guy who has so many beautiful roses. What are you single ladies waiting for? Get him out of the Abby! It's totally doable. :-) I want to see more his garden photos, who is going there?

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

It's also a boys' school and there are some sisters who are there, at least the last time I was there I saw them preparing food. The abbey is a beautiful, peaceful place surrounded by native oaks.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Link to ST Michaels Abbey, Orange County CA

https://stmichaelsabbey.com

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Thanks kittymoonbeam for the link. It looks pretty difficult/impossible to get him out of Abbey, they are really deep into bibles........

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Which one is Jerome in the photo? The man in black?

• jerome
    Original Author
    7 years ago

P.S. Devoniensis is like a Live Oak tree...it gets better and better over time. Here, after 10-11 years, it's finally coming into its own. Now, I would replace if it died!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Nice photo, you aren't old!? You should write a rose book-roses in an Abbey. I hope my 2 Devoniensis can make it through this winter in zone 6a. Would love to see your Devoniensis photo. I hope Kittymoonbeam can visit there in the spring and come back with a lot of photos. :-)

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    7 years ago

Jerome, nice to see you back.

• jerome
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Melissa! Summersrhythm...I'm going to be 56 in March, not ancient, not young. The man in black in the photo is a Cardinal...quite a bit above my pay grade. Things have changed here a lot on the site. I need to get up to speed on how to navigate, post etc.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Only 56?! Hello single ladies of rose forum, go get Jerome! :-)

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    7 years ago

I like to see old friends; it's been a while. We're still here perched on our Italian hill. You're going to make my mouth start watering all over for warm climate roses. Most of mine have been failures, simply because at the time we were planting them we didn't understand how drastically the ground needed to be amended for them. That has become clear over the years, and perhaps we'll try again: it depends on our finances and manpower. They're the loveliest roses! Easier for us, and also very beautiful, have been the once-flowering roses of European origin. I imagine your garden is a wonderful sight.

• jerome
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just looking at old notifications from years ago. I should post again on the collection. So many have died (lack of water probably....it's survival of the fittest here, and yes we do irrigate) and I should make a new list. Also, we're moving to the new abbey in about 3 weeks....gotta go to Compline now.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    3 years ago

It would be great to hear updates on the abbey garden, and also any plans you have for the new one. :)

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    3 years ago

Yay, Fr Jerome! Good to see you. We miss you.

John

• Rosefolly
    3 years ago

So good to hear from you, Father Jerome. I'm happy to hear that the long awaited move to the new abbey is finally going to take place. As for the roses, it will be interesting to learn which ones have thrived, and which ones couldn't quite handle the local conditions. I'm assuming that there will be a new garden in the new location, perhaps one with the toughest of the roses.

Wishing you a happy Christmas, and looking forward to hearing from you when you can spare the time.

Rosefolly/Paula

• jerome
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to K S, Joh and Paula!

Roses that didn’t make it here at the old place (that I can remember off the top of my head): Dames de Chenonceau; Versigny; Francois Blaise (sp?); Condesa de Sastago; Lady Emma Hamilton; and a couple others that I’d need to see the list to name.

They have transplanted 100+ of our old collection to the new place already. It’s going to be a much smaller garden, because of water concerns. I was amazed at how some of the bigger teas (really huge plants) survived essentially being “bare rooted“ and just started shooting out growth from thick, old wood the second they were in the ground at the new place: Niles Cochet; Mons. Tillier; Mme. Antoine Mari; Old Town Novato; Clementina Carbonieri; Rosette Delizy and many others I can’t recall. Now, if we can only keep the deer pressure off of them. We have been spraying deer repellent regularly, and it remains to be seen if that’ll help

• bart bart
    3 years ago

So nice to hear from you again,Fr Jerome! Best wishes and happy Christmas!