Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abbey rose collection - long...

Posted by jerome z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 12:48

Some of you have asked me what roses we grow at the abbey. Here is a (more or less) current list of the varieties we have. Hope some of you will decide to visit here sometime. Take care!

Abbey Roses 2011

Teas
1. Adam
2. Alliance Franco Russe
3. Baronne Henriette de Snoy
4. Beaute Inconstante
5. Clementina Carbonieri
6. Devoniensis - bush form
7. Devoniensis climbing
8. Duchesse de Brabant
9. E. Veyrat Hermanos (climbing tea)
10. Etoile de Lyon
11. Faith Whittlesey
12. Francis Dubreuil
13. General Tartas
14. Goubault
15. Huntington Pink Tea
16. Lady Hillingdon
17. Lady Roberts
18. Le Pactole
19. Mlle de Sombreuil
20. Mme. Antoine Mari
21. Mme. Berkeley
22. Mme. Joseph Schwartz
23. Mme. Lombard
24. Maman Cochet
25. Marie Legond (Mrs. Foley Hobbs)
26. Miss Atwood
27. Monsieur Tillier
28. Mrs. B.R. Cant
29. Mrs. Dudley Cross
30. Niles Cochet
31. Niphetos
32. Rosette Delizy
33. Soncy
34. Souvenir de Pierre Notting
35. White Maman Cochet
36. William R. Smith
37. Marie van Houtte

Tea-Noisettes
1. Alister Stella Gray
2. Bouquet d'Or
3. Chromatella
4. Crepuscule
5. Duchesse d'Auerstadt
6. Marechal Niel
7. Mme. Berard
8. Celine Forestier
9. Reve d'Or
10. Lamarque

Noisettes
1. Aimee Vibert
2. Champneys' Pink Cluster
3. Roselle Noisette

Chinas
1. Eugene de Beauharnais
2. Spice

Moss
1. Alfred de Dalmas

Polyanthas
1. Mlle. Cecile Brunner (spray)
2. Perle d'Or

English (Austin)
1. Abraham Darby
2. Brother Cadfael
3. Carding Mill
4. Charles Darwin
5. Crown Princess Margareta
6. Cymbaline
7. Evelyn
8. Glamis Castle
9. Golden Celebration
10. Graham Thomas
11. Harlow Carr
12. Janet
13. Jude the Obscure
14. Molineux
15. Perdita
16. Radio Times
17. Scepter'd Isle
18. Sharifa Asma
19. Strawberry Hill
20. Tamara
21. Teasing Georgia
22. The Dark Lady
23. The Generous Gardener
24. William Shakespeare 2000
25. Young Lycidas

Hybrid Perpetuals
1. Grandmother's Hat
2. Forest Ranch Pom-Pom
3. Jacques Cartier
4. La Reine
5. Old Town Novato
6. Yolande d'Aragon

Bourbons
1. Mystic Beauty
2. Variegata di Bologna

Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras
1. April in Paris
2. Brandy
3. Brigadoon
4. Classic Woman
5. Condesa de Sastago
6. Dames de Chenonceau
7. Double Delight
8. Firefighter
9. First Prize
10. Francis Blaise
11. Gemini
12. Halloween
13. Just Joey
14. Lemon Spice
15. Leonidas
16. Moonstone
17. Mr. Lincoln
18. Mrs. Lovell Swisher
19. Peter Mayle
20. Pope John Paul II
21. Queen Elizabeth
22. Radiant Perfume
23. Roberto Capucci
24. Secret
25. St. Patrick
26. Strike it Rich
27. Sweetness
28. Tahitian Sunset
29. Tchaikovski
30. The Doctor
31. Tiffany
32. Tropicana
33. Unforgettable
34. Versigny
35. Yves Piaget

Floribundas
1. Brilliant Pink Iceberg
2. Etrusca
3. Our Lady of Guadalupe
Albas
1. Felicite Parmentier
2. Mme. Plantier

Climbers
1. Joseph's Coat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abbey rose collection - long...

What a glorious collection! I hope very much to see it someday.

Rosefolly

o

What a gorgeous collection! My mouth is watering at the many teas you have. You obviously have a lot more room than I do to have so many large roses. Your spring bloom must be magnificent, especially since you've gardened long enough to have mature bushes.

Ingrid

o

Rosefolly...please do visit. Feel free to email me if you like. fatherjerome2000@yahoo.com

Ingrid, thanks very much. I wish I knew in 2004 what I know now. I had no idea how big things would get or how to garden in "big gestures". Now I'm grateful for the space, and plant accordingly. When I see some of the configurations I made a few years ago, I laugh out loud. Things I've learned:

Mme. Berkeley gets big!
Rosette Delizy gets really big!
Souv. de Pierre Notting gets enormous.

I'd learned these things before putting in Peachiekean's Teasing Georgia, so it had enough room from the getgo, and it's perfect. Gardening is great.

o
Forgot about 'Pat Henry'.

I also have a rose by Viru Viraraghavan, "Pat Henry" from Roses Unlimited. Forgot to include it. It's wonderful. Fragrant and beautiful growth. Just planted in April, so I don't know more than that it blooms a ton. Very glad I ordered it. The photo on HelpMeFind is lovely, but doesn't do the rose justice. I'll try to post pics soon.

o

Wow, Jerome, you have a lot to take care of, but it must be glorious. I hope my Souvenir de Pierre Notting isn't going to be enormous. It only has room to be smallish medium!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

Hi Sherry! I can't speak for SdPN in your climate, because I notice Florida roses grow different from here. Souvenir de Pierre Notting here in about 5 years got to be about 6 x 6. I pruned them (there are 2 of them) rather hard this year. I would not do it again...they're pouting now. They're not damaged, just pouting. The evidence of it is the tons of mildew on the new growth and spindly leaves. Live and learn.

Some people who've taken cuttings from my SdPN have plants that have not gotten as large for them...so I don't know what's going on there.

o

What a wonderful list Jerome. I can just imagine walking through the garden. I really hope that Michael and I can visit some time. I wrote down your e mail. Have you put the garden on HMF? It's such a great way to organize everything and share photos. Others would enjoy looking at the garden there too.

o

Father Jerome, one day I will. I have family in the LA area that will bring me to that part of the state at some point. Thanks for the kind invitation!

R

o

Jerome,

Where oh where did you get 'The Doctor'? I love it but have not seen it available for years. It did not do well for me but I would still like to try it again. Maybe it likes sunny California better than our Ohio weather, HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter.

Cath

o

Jerome, I can't imagine two climates more different than yours and mine - but yet some of the roses that do well for you do well here. Okay, not that many but:

Faith Whittlesey
Spice
spray Cecile Brunner
Jacques Cartier

we grow in common and they are all fine here too. Isn't that wonderful?

Devoniensis survived the winter and has grown back; I planted Lady Hillingdon and Madame Berkeley this spring and maybe they'll do well too. High hopes here. Gean

o

I don't like to say this too loudly - but Devoniensis is not a rose I'd ever replace or try again. Here it is covered with mildew, is a scrawny plant, has ugly growth patterns (I speak of both bush and climber) and has shown these traits for 6 years. Every time I see Jeri Jennings photo of the beauty up in San Juan Bautista, I am overcome with the beauty of it. That plant is from a different planet than mine. I am not going to shovel prune them, but not because I wouldn't - I just don't want to have to admit on this forum that I shovel pruned 4 Devoniensis! :-/

It may be wonderful - but in this little corner of God's Garden - it stinks!

Cath - I got the Doctor from a friend (Luanne) as a gift. I think she ordered it from Ralph Moore's nursery. I also know RU has it. My plant pined away for about 4 years, and I finally gave up about 18 months ago and pulled it out of the ground with its 2 roots to throw it out. Our Fr. Ambrose saw it and said, "Father Jerome, may I take this....?" so of course I let him. This year, I was walking down by the novitiate and saw this healthy vigorous rose growing - "What's that one, Fr. Ambrose?" "The Doctor, Fr. Jerome..." Hmmm...sometimes they just want a change of scenery, yes?

o

Fr. Jerome,

Thank you so much for the sources for 'The Doctor', I would be ecstatic if "...a change of scenery..." would do it.

Cath

o

I don't like to say this too loudly - but Devoniensis is not a rose I'd ever replace or try again. Here it is covered with mildew, is a scrawny plant, has ugly growth patterns

*** Don't feel badly.
We also shovel-pruned three or four of it.
The beauty from San Juan Bautista (we did not visit it this spring. I hope it still lives) yielded up healthy plants.
One is in the Sacramento Cemetery, and one will go into the ground here, this year.
It's disease-free and blooms generously.
I don't think it will reach (in my lifetime at least) the proportions of the mother plant -- but I don't care.

Gregg Lowery found another like it, in the old Santa Rosa Cemetery. Some fool pruned it, and it is gone.

Jeri

o

I guess my veggie garden roses Mme. Berkeley and Souvenir Pierre de Notting will quickly outgrow their space. I'll enjoy them until they do. I am about to sp Perle des jardins. Scrawny and mildewed. And replanting Catherine Mermet did wonders for her. I'm now treating her like a HT instead of a tea.
Mary

o

Jerome---I had no idea you had such a large and varied collection of roses--

You have no idea how thrilled I would be to visit your garden and meet you---

Doesn't look like it will happen but 'I can dream can't I'--( reminds me of an old song )

Florence

o

I should update this now...since we've planted about 100 more roses just this past 5 weeks!

o

And it was already an amazing collection before you did that!

o

Looking forward to the update---

Florence

o

Father Jerome would you consider getting cuttings from them?

Jessica

o

Sure, we give cuttings to friends all the time from the roses not under patent. I really need to revise the list soon. We have added, in no particular order:

Teas:

1. G. Nabonnand

Tea-Noisettes:

1. Jaune Desprez
2. Madame Alfred Carriere

English Roses:

1. Munstead Wood
2. Lady of Shalott
3. Princess Alexandra of Kent
4. The Alexandra Rose
5. Buttercup
6. Windflower
7. Jubilee Celebration
8. Lady Emma Hamilton
9. The Alnwick Rose
10. The Pilgrim
11. Tea Clipper
12. Mary Rose
13. Redoute
14. Winchester Cathedral
15. Gentle Hermione

Holy Christmas! That's crazy of me. Anyway, I should start to make a list and a map of all the beds...this is getting to be a big group of roses.

o
Another Tea I forgot!

General Schablikine

o

so bizarre, here Devoniensis has never mildewed. So glad you're having fun in the garden.

o

I wish I could travel to meet you and your roses.
I love Tea roses most of all and you grow many of my favorites.

Would you possibly have time to list your top 3 (or 4 or 5)
favorites of each class of rose that you grow?

Thanks,
Luxrosa

o

Lux...I'm changeable, and my tastes have changed over the years. Right now, my favorites (in no particular order)

Teas:
1. Souv. de Pierre Notting
2. Mons Tillier
3. Niles Cochet
4. White Maman Cochet
5. Faith Whittlesey (sp?)
6. Rosette Delizy
7. Miss Atwood
8. Mme. Berkeley
9. Marie van Houtte....sorry so many Teas, but these really are splendid....
oh and 10. Etoile de Lyon and 11. Le Pactole

Hybrid Perpetuals:

1. Grandmother's Hat
2. Old Town Novato
3. Forest Ranch Pompom

Tea-Noisettes
1. Lamarque is stupendous
2. Reve d'Or looks promising....but all this class takes forever to take off here.

Chinas

1. Spice is great

Polyanthas

1. Perle d'Or is wonderful

Hy Teas and Grandifloras:

1. Firefighter
2. Secret
3. Gemini
4. DAMES DE CHENONCEAU (get it!)
5. Versigny
6. St. Patrick
7. Tchaikovski
8. Lemon Spice
9. Tahitian Sunset

English

1. Abe Darby
2. Golden Celebration
3. Young Lycidas
4. Brother Cadfael
5. Graham Thomas
6. Crown Princess Margareta
7. Molineux (sp?)
8. CARDING MILL
9. Teasing Georgia
10 Scepter'd Isle.

Also....Felicite Parmentier is a great rose here. Alba, that.

Sorry there are so many on my list...I was in a rush and didn't have time to make it shorter and really ponder. All the ones I listed are wonderful here.

o

• Posted by annabeth Zone 8 No Cal inland (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 23:14

I'd love to see this list ILLUSTRATED. I'll repeat a question asked above: Do you have the Abbey listed on HMF? Are you on HMF? Excuse my ignorance, but I don't even know the name of your Abbey. I know of one in So Cal called the Prince of Peace Abbey. Is that yours?

Annabeth

o

Hi Annabeth....it's St. Michael's Abbey in Silverado, Norbertine Order (Prince of Peace is Benedictine) I need to put some work into my HMF page. It's a question of finding the time. I'll try and take more photos and put them up. Thanks to all for your interest.

o

• Posted by annabeth Zone 8 No Cal inland (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 0:41

Please do...I'll be watching for them!

Annabeth

o

Just ordered Le Vesuve from Vintage....more varieties....

o

Do you have friends there who like to garden with you? I imagine that it feels like a family there. What a wonderful way to live. I'm sure that there will be loving hands to care for the roses for many many years. Even though I'm living by myself, I like to sing monastic chants when I'm in the garden because they are so beautiful and they bring joy and peace to my heart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here