Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Need large, light pink DA or OGR

Well, this is a rather pleasant dilemma. Last weekend we had the concrete wall around our back yard painted: it went from pale pink (photo, with Molineux in April) to dark red.
I have two Alnwick Roses, large and getting larger, about four feet in from the wall. Last year, I planted two Falstaffs right behind them -- figuring they would get even bigger, and that the dark red blooms would look great against the pink wall.
However, the Falstaffs aren't working. Plump Jack is a skinny, short non-bloomer in that spot (it does get more shade than the Alnwicks). Besides, I now realize that dark red blooms would blend right into my wall and be virtually invisible!
Now I think a lilac or light pink rose is what I need. Instead of two of them, though, I'd like to buy one big ol' plant. I can get 5-gallon Austins around here at wholesale prices, but would also like to consider OGRs/teas/noisettes. Remontant, please!
We have the classic SoCal valley weather, with few low clouds and more sun than we know what to do with. It does dew up at night, though.
I like James Galway, and it is recommended for shade but not for hot, dry climates. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!
Sylvia

Comments (9)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what the new wall looks like. The mirror is there to increase the amount of light going to Falstaff (dull dark foliage in front of the pelargoniums) but still, no blooms.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

'Golden Celebration'????

This image shows a row of 4 plants, marching down hill . . .

I suggest it, because even closer to the coast, it does not mildew or rust -- and a touch of blackspot is a rare event. It blooms in immense "crops," and is very, very fragrant.

Also, it is a "mainstream" sort of plant, which should be obtainable locally.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The other thing I would suggest -- equally dependable, and with most of the same virtues, is "Grandmother's Hat," which is the mid-pink you're wanting. This is, I think, 3 own-root plants in a row.

Here again you have great disease-resistance, fragrance -- and oh both "Grandmother's Hat" and 'Golden Celebration' have a good vase life.

The downside for "Grandmother's Hat" is that it is less-easily obtained. You might try Rogue Valley Roses or Burlington Rose Nursery -- but plants will be own-root, and thus slower to mature. (That's not an issue for me, but I know it is for some.)

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

Annies Annuals in Richmond ,california sells Grandmothers Hat, some years.
    It's a fantastic rose. It has a longer bloom season than 90% of the several dozens of Austin roses I've cared for.

Lux.

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

I think mutabilis would look good, especially with the red new growth which would compliment the wall. Or perhaps Cecile Brunner?

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

For a real light pink, I would suggest Duchesse de Brabant. Mine blooms truly continuously. It is a tea, and loves hot weather, and was rated an Earth Kind rose in tests in Texas.

Mine is about 5 years old, and is 6-7 ft high by 7 ft wide.

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

If you don't have 'Belinda's Dream', it is a great rose.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all.
    Hoovb, I've heard nothing but praise for 'Belinda's Dream' on this forum.
    Jackie, I'm pleased to hear your "Duchesse de B" is big -- HMF lists it as much smaller.
    Adam, 'Cecile Brunner' is a small-flowered rose which might not work as well in that spot.
    So many fun choices! Now, can I put off gratification until bare-root season (next year seems so far away), or will I succumb to childishness and order one-gallons (if I can find them)?
    I don't know a good retail source for OGRs in LACounty, so if anybody does, please fill me in.
    Sylvia

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Sylvia -- Nope. Not these days.

Burlington Rose Nursery in Visalia . . .