Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Neighbour's gardens

Juliet, le jardin of roses, started a thread some time ago about neighbouring gardens.

I realised, that most of my neighbours do not have gardens.

Most of the houses in my village, are built cheek by jowl, and have no space for a garden.

However, they love their flowers, and plant in any sort of container, which they place on the road, steps, roof, or anywhere else they can squeeze them.

{{gwi:279672}}

{{gwi:279673}}

{{gwi:279674}}

I don't think there is any more space on this rose for any more flowers.

{{gwi:279675}}

{{gwi:279676}}

{{gwi:279677}}

{{gwi:279678}}

{{gwi:279679}}

{{gwi:279680}}

{{gwi:279681}}

Our local shop.

{{gwi:279682}}

The view from our village.

Daisy

Comments (32)

• bbinpa
    13 years ago

Lovely gardens!
    Barbara

• jerijen
    13 years ago

That is absolutely WONDERFUL!

You could probably sell some of those as postcards.

Jeri

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

Or do a book!!! Put the picture of the blue spiral staircase with the bougainvillea on the cover - I want to be there! Those are beautiful, beautiful photos, and the gardens are wonderful.

Seeing this makes me feel a bit better about my balcony garden - although I don't have ANYTHING like the flowers in your village. Thank you so much for showing us!!

Laura

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

You took my breath away. Each and every photograph is so beautiful I want to be there walking around and looking.
    The first photograph is so wonderful I want to paint it (but I am still learning and it may be above my skill level lol). And the stairs with white cat? Perfection.

I'm a retired professional photographer BTW so pretty photographs don't thrill me normally. I think it's the exhuberant feeling of whoever grows these flowers plus the wonderful light. Your neighbors do love flowers.

Thanks for taking the time to photograph and then sharing them.

Denise

• fogrose
    13 years ago

All I can say is WOW. Beautiful evocative pictures of an aesthetic and a way of life that one rarely if ever finds in the USA. There is such history in each of these pictures. Thanks so much for posting them.

Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Really beautiful, Daisy, and a perfect example of how an area with little fresh water and rocky soil can still have beauty in their surroundings. I'm impressed by the floriferousness of these plantings and the handwatering it takes to maintain them in a hot, dry climate, surrounded by all that stone. It would be a much different scene if these little bits of nature were missing from these pictures.

Ingrid

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting these pictures! How wonderful, I feel as if I almost got to travel again. I was in Crete about 10 years ago and don't remember much I am afraid. So great to see another approach to gardening...

Masha

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing the beauty of your village with us. I feel like I've been on a fantasy trip - all in the comfort of my living room. The bright and colorful flowers, the white of the homes with the blue/green railings and doors, and the blue of the ocean are all very picturesque. The container gardens that your neighbors have are lively and joyful. You can see the love of gardening in their displays.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

WOW! The view reminds me of Santorini. Love the architecture. I want to visit that place one day. It looks like everyday is filled with sunshine and life. Here in Ausralia, most of our buildings are blue, grey and brown...how depressing.

• rosymominzone9
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I saw the pics and said this looks like Greece and then saw your ID and that you were indeed in Crete. Beautiful shots!! Just great!!!!!

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Daisy, I loved looking at your photos. If I could paint, I'd use some of them as models and put them in my house.

I also loved what you said - that your neighbors "love their flowers." So do we all and I'd enjoy being your neighbor too. Thanks so much for posting.

• elemire
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos, reminds me also some pot ghetos and post stamp size gardens here in the Netherlands. :D

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

Wonderful photos! What would the world be without flowers?

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

I enjoyed them too: thanks for posting.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful and inspiring photos. This is my favorite type of gardening. I love the painted metal barrels and everything about these little gardens !!

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

Daisy, I was just looking through your photos again (for the pure pleasure of it), and I noticed that the white pot with blue stripes - it's laying a bit sideways, looking wonderful - and I think it is the classical amphora shape that was used in ancient times. There is some continuity in this crazy world after all!

Laura

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

I just loved this, thanks!!!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Daisy-----I'm SPEECHLESS----these pictures are glorious--thanks so much for sharing your corner of the world---I most likely will never get to Crete but I can look at your wonderful pictures and keep them in my heart.
    I'm inspired to get my paint brushes out again.

Thanks so much----you are lucky to have that view.

Florence

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

Your photos are marvelous!!
    I live near San Francisco California and I would love it if more houses looked like those in Crete, with the white building and paving materials, and the blue doors that are so common there. I'm painting my garden door that shade of blue if I can find it.

Luxrosa

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

wow, you live in the most charming and beautiful place! I hope you realize how lucky you are!

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank-you so much for your kind remarks everyone.
    I am afraid I am not much of a photographer. Just the point and click kind. However the light here and the subject matter, make a good picture, however inept I am.
    Here are a few more.

{{gwi:279683}}

{{gwi:279684}}

{{gwi:279685}}

{{gwi:279686}}

{{gwi:279687}}

{{gwi:279688}}

Daisy

• bluesibe
    13 years ago

Daisy, your pics are a wonderful travelog of your neighborhood. How could I not fall in love with contrast of white homes surrounded with beautiful living plants.

You are making me want to retire right next door to you,

Carol

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the new pictures----You sure live in a beautiful part of the world.
    Luxrosa----I hope you find that shade of blue----it is one of my favorite colors----let us know if you find the color--

Florence

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Absolutely those are gardens, and of a quite wonderful kind. When I visited Melissa a year or two ago, I took similar pictures in the nearby town of Lugagnano. Everyone who sees those pictures is enchanted with them.

Rosefolly

• random_harvest
    13 years ago

Your pictures make everything inside of me relax and go "Aaaahh."

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Lovely, wonderful that every plant in your pictures are growing here in my neighborhood, many thousands of miles away... Many of them in my own yard! The Mediterranean climate is so similar even in far distant places.

Thank you for sharing the view of your world--its a beautiful one!

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I liked the pot of striped Hippeastrum the best, although the Beloperone perched on the wall behind the Pelargoniums etc. is kind of engaging.

Dipladenia like the one growing up the corner are being sold as indoor plants here now, with lots of richly colored flowers on small specimens they are tempting - but I doubt most will succeed with them under ordinary indoor conditions.

• carla17
    13 years ago

Daisey, your pictures are so enjoyable. It's so nice to see your part of the world and I love the big white vases.

Carla

• carla17
    13 years ago

Daisy, I am sorry I spelled your name incorrectly. In the minute I pressed the enter button I realized.

Carla

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Daisy, your photos are incredible! You are lucky to live in such a scenic place. The light there must be spectacular. I see a place that has such a romantic quality, where you live. If I lived there, I would be taking long walks everyday. I love the large white jars as well. Thank you for this look into your world.

Juliet

• thonotorose
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this beauty with us. I love the green door with geraniums.

Veronica

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Was looking back, couldn't resist bringing these gorgeous pictures forward to look at once again. Thanks, Daisy!