Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricianat

Crepuscule, the everready bunny rose

patricianat
16 years ago

{{gwi:279725}}

It is as hot as July here and as dry as an October desert but Crepuscule will not be denied.

Comments (30)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

It's a WONDERFUL rose. Jeri

• cweathersby
    16 years ago

Oh that's beautiful. I can't wait until mine decides to start blooming.

• roseleaf
    16 years ago

Crepuscule seems always to be blooming or growing. A great rose. She probably can gobble all the space you give her.

• robin_d
    16 years ago

Wow, what a great garden! Yeah, Crepuscule is one of the best of the best, I think. :-)

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

Patricia, that is lovely. I have a Crepuscule from RU that is still in it's pot. I don't know where to plant it. I may pot it up and plant it where I have a once blooming New Dawn that I may sp in the fall if it doesn't repeat this year.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Crepuscule is one of the best. Mine took off like a rocket and I love it.

Carla

• jennbenn
    16 years ago

That is so lovely! I am like Irish, I have one in a pot and am not sure where to put it! Your beds are so lovely and they look nice and deep. Are you growing on a support of some kind?
    Thanks!
    Jenn

• patricianat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your very sweet comments.

Yes, it is grown on a support. It is something I saw in my son's garden where he and his wife live in an older home, but did not exactly understand it as it was filled with a rose. Then Jean posted a picture of something that I knew to be exactly that.

It is a 4 x 4 that is 10-feet tall, with two feet in the ground and 8 above ground. There are holes drilled 1-foot apart. The first set goes N to S and the second set E to W and then repeats. Through these holes, pieces of rebar about 5-feet long are placed, so they were meant to wrap around but the rose got so big, I just gently place the canes over it and cut to some kind of shape.

Yes, thank you. I love deep beds also. These are about 10-feet deep. You can put lots of "stuff" in them.

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

That looks magnificent! All of it!

I have Crepuscule - Robert (pejsek) gave it to me. You're right - it's that bunny that never stops.

A

• pagan
    16 years ago

gorgeous Patricia!

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

Patricia, tis a beauty. I am so glad you discovered the camera, because your pictures are wonderful.

In my foggy climate, Crepuscule does best in the spring where it is very healthy and puts on a wonderful display. But does poorly through the mostly cool summer and picks back up in the fall when the days are generally warm.

The spring flush alone is worth it. Now it has no blooms but is covered by a lovely light blue clematis.

Carol

• rubrifolia
    16 years ago

just beautiful. whole garden looks fab. drought & all.

• jennbenn
    16 years ago

Patricia,
    I hope you don't mind I posted this thread/pic to the Cottage forum ~ for INSPRIATION! To show the deep mixed beds! When I saw the wide open fence in perfect sun this is what I thought of.
    Jenn

• patricianat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not at all. Thank you. I am flattered.

• buford
    16 years ago

I have a baby Crepuscule, just getting it's first buds. Hopefully one day it will be as big as Patricia's.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Beautiful !!!

Florence

• oath5
    16 years ago

My Crepuscule treated me with wonderful blooms, I love the fragrance, smells likes mild tobacco and melon to me...very nice.

• drhuey
    16 years ago

Patricia With so much of coastal south western and south eastern Australia having a Mediterranean climate Crepuscule is a favorite in many Australian gardens.I'm told that in Perth,Australia's fourth largest city Crepuscule rivals the ubiquitous Iceberg as the city's most popular rose. However the most famous Crepuscule rose is at the Flemington racecourse in Melbourne, home of the Southern Hemisphere's richest and most famous horse race The Melbourne Cup. Terry Freeman course curator and his staff tend over 12,000 roses at the course but the standout sight is a 200 yard-long Crepuscule hedge trimmed to 5 feet in height. The hedge is at its wonderful best on the first Tuesday in November when The Cup is run. The hedge must carry tens of thousands of apricot blooms.The photo does'nt show Crepuscule at its best but the blooms in the second photo give some idea of the hedge's beauty.

Brenton

{{gwi:279726}}

{{gwi:279727}}

• buford
    16 years ago

Who gets to deadhead and prune that!

• garden_party
    16 years ago

{{gwi:279728}}

Here is Crepuscule in front of some Wyoming Canna Lilies that get 8 feet tall here with dark orange flowers, and to the right is a bright pinkish red powder puff.

• jess2132000
    15 years ago

So does this rose grow fast upward or more outward?? What about blackspot or other issues??

• Greg
    9 years ago

Crepuscule is also currently in testing to be classified as an Earth-kind rose, from what I understand, and looks to be quite promising in this regard, in addition to being an over-all great rose!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

This is one rose I would never be without. Simply gorgeous, I am working on having them in several places. You can buy them at Chamblees - they will ship you a very healthy ready to grow rose, Grixgardens - much faster than a cutting. Everyone should have one of these!
    Judith

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

You are right Judith.
    Also I miss Patricia.

• grixgardens
    9 years ago

Looked up every suggested source for Crepuscule, and every single one is dead end...SOLD OUT! UGGGGHHH.
    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would really like this rose. Thank You!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

It's available at Rogue Valley Roses. If you purchase four other roses, you can also select it as your "free rose", being as it's also on that list.

:-)

~Christopher

• Kippy
    9 years ago

My baby Crepuscule has pair of spring flush blooms I am enjoying. I hope mine will do well enough here to be 'Iceberg' sized. I hear she does not like our cooler and damper Mediterranean climate as much. She is in the ground in a warmer spot so here is to hoping!

Thank you for the wonderful hedge photos!

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Wonderful rose. One of my favorites.

Wonderful, too, to have this old thread revived, and see posts from old friends who are no longer here, having moved on in one fashion or another.

Nostalgia is my middle name. Probably partly why I like old roses so much.

Rosefolly

• cath41
    9 years ago

Nostalgia is a lovely middle
    name.

Cath