Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicouris

Alba Semi-plena bud?

Last summer I planted Alba Semi-plena. It was a small band which as expected had no first year bloom. I planted it and didn't pay it much attention, looked forward to next year's bloom. So this year I'm all happy to see the buds appear, but what's this...they're pink? I wasn't expecting that, but OK, I know some white roses are pink in the bud, very pretty actually. Then I check out pictures on HMF and now I'm wondering if I have the right rose. These bud are mossy, that's not right is it? (I have not grown an alba before, in case you couldn't tell).

Comments (13)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Given my little knowledge with the old European roses, I would still say that this is probably a moss rose. In addition to the moss, the leaves don't have the more bluish cast that most albas exhibit. If you post a photo of the open rose later that might help to identify this particular one. How frustrating for you to have that happen.

Ingrid

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

Should look like this...mat blue/green foliage

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Definitely not Semi Plena, but it looks like you might have a gem of a moss rose in your garden! As Ingrid suggested, do post the full bloom. Surely someone on the forum will have an identical moss in her/his garden. Carol

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, thanks for the confirmation and I will definitely follow up here after the buds open to get your help at identifying my little interloper.

This is a sad disappointment. I planted this to honor my father in law, who flew a B-17 in WWII that was named "The Rose of York". I was so eager to show it to him this summer, especially as it looked as though it would be open for Father's Day.

I'd like to try again - Could anyone recommend where I might find another this year, ideally one that has some substantial growth too it? I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, but Dad is 93 and our summers in the garden are not endless.

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

Wonderful story and I wish I was closer to you...my ASP occasionally sends out a sucker which I giveaway to friends or family...you've made a good choice and I hope you can find one.

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

I saw that Azalea Flowering Shrub Farm in Voorheesville, NY carries alba semi plena. They ship also, it appears. Pickering carries it also.

There is also a white large flowered climber called 'City of York' that is beautiful which is available at Rogue Valley. Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: alba semi plena source

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Ratdogheads, I've never ordered from this nursey, but I keep tripping over photos of its old garden roses: Flowering Shrub Farm. I see it has Semi Plena (York) and is in Voorheesville, NY, over on your side of the country. Some of the plants offered are larger sized and may be in bloom. I wish I could send a successful cutting from my plant. I can post a picture of the bloom if you'd like. A wonderful story about your father-in-law and your rose. My father is 88 and is also a WWII vet. Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 13:25

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally this mystery rose has come into bloom. I'm guessing it's Henri Martin - not because I know anything about identifying moss roses, but the only two dark moss roses this nursery lists (at least for this year) are Henri Martin and William Lobb. WL looked a little more purple than my rose.

What do you think?

It's certainly wonderful. Fragrant! It's rather floppy, though elegantly so. I have it planted up against a barn wall, facing west. Is that ok for this rose? What sort of growth can I expect? Will he bully the neighbors?

{{gwi:279912}}

{{gwi:279914}}

{{gwi:279916}}

{{gwi:279918}}

• patty57
    6 years ago

Ratdogheads, I see you are not set up to receive messages so I hope you see this post. I was wondering where you purchased your rose that was suppose to be Alba Semi Plena?

Patty

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Patty, Thanks for alerting me about the messaging problem, I had not been aware of that. I've just located that setting and changed it.

Anyhow, I got the rose from High Country Roses. I contacted them and at the time they were out of ASP, but agreed to send me one the next year. It never arrived but I had so many things going on that year, and I felt like I had run out of room in the garden and decided not to pursue it. This year I am finally getting one...no idea where I'm going to plant it.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Gorgeous Carol, let's hope what I receive this year is the right rose!

Dad is still going strong at 96. He's a little forgetful and never did ask me what happened to my Rose of York. I can surprise him all over again :)

I had forgotten how pretty that moss was. I ended up gifting it to someone because I wanted something tall against the barn. When the Alba didn't arrive the following year, I gave the spot to a rambler, Walsh's America, which was getting too big for it's britches elsewhere.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

It's wonderful to hear your father is doing so well! The rose surprise should be just as fun the second time around. All fingers crossed for the correct cultivar. Carol