Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kordes Fairy Tale Rose--Pomponella

Posted by odyssey3 7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 13:32

Anyone grow this one? The pictures of it are quite beautiful. Any comments on fragrance? Also, is it for sale anywhere in the US right now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kordes Fairy Tale Rose--Pomponella

Palatine Roses has it bareroot, grafted on multiflora rootstock, but they are not shipping at this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palatine Roses

o

I grow this rose, my favorite of all the roses I bought this year! It's as pretty as its picture--sort of a smaller, more floriferous Raubritter. I detect only a slight scent if any.
But (so far) it has that Kordes disease resistance. I bought it from Palatine Roses(Canada), who sent beautiful plants. Go for it.

o

I have this rose also from Palatine Roses. Foliage is desease free so far. Flowers are small but there are lots of them and they a longgg time. I really like the pompom shaped flowers and plant.

o

I plan to give this rose a try next year in any case, but the small flowers (HMF says 1 1/2 inches in diameter) have me nervous. When I want flowers that small, I'm perfectly content with the polyanthas I have now. When Pomponella's blossoms are fully open, how large are they?

o

Mine are about 2 inches when fully open. I wish they were a bit larger but I am pretty happy with it overall. What I really like is the long bloom time and the healthy foliage.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

That's a beautiful picture, Mary; thanks. The general size, shape and color of the blossom reminds me of the Harkness rose, Queen's London Child, now blooming in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen's London Child at Heirloom

o

This rose is featured in the current issue of the American Rose Society magazine. It is written by Sean McCann who lives in Ireland. The picture showed it as being a fuschia color. Has anyone seen it in this color?

o

Mary1nys, I am sorry to rain on your parade, but the picture of your rose is NOT of Kordes' Pomponella.
Pomponella has distinctive round blooms, that never open like yours, also their color is much deeper pink.
The rose is extremely vigorous (I grow three of them), have extra-sturdy canes, blooms last indefinitely on the bush.
I have a very poor picture if it, taken last fall.

o

Wow..I did notice in American Rose that the photo they had of Pomponella didnt look like mine! I got that from Palatine this past Spring. It looks like they are no longer carrying it. I'll send them the photo to see what they think it might be!

o

• Posted by ceterum z8, coastal east (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 1, 08 at 13:48

I was thinking of ordering this rose but I was afraid that it wouldn't open in my very humid coastal climate. I know that you Marina live in hot and humid area but I wonder if the distance makes this rose a winner for you or would it also open in coastal region as well.
What do you mean by vigorous - how big is yours? Are the blooms fragrant?

o

Ceterum, last year was really hot and dry, nevertheless, I am still pretty sure that Pomponella does not have problem with balling.
I have noticed no side effects of rain and dew.
The blooms do not have any fragrance (HMF says 'mild'.. maybe but not to my nose).
My roses were planted in March last year (huge bareroots from Palatine, to begin with), at the end of season they have grown lots of new canes, and the bushes were about 5' x 5'. Also, I would like to mention that canes are very strong and sturdy.
The blooms are pretty, but I find them a little bit small compared to the complexion of the bush... or, maybe I should prune my bushes more after the bloom cycle.

o

I bought Pomponella last year. Last summer was cold and wet and Pomponella balled big time. It also got BS, not bad, but my other ADR roses are almost always spotless, so.... And I really don't like the colour. I'll see for another year, but think I'll give it away next year.

Rob

o

According to Palatime my photo above is Sister's Fairy Tale! Another Kordes Fairy Tale rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here