Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melva_gw

Banshee/Jeremiah Pink

melva
13 years ago

Is this the same rose? I have Banshee, and just heard someone say there is thought they could be the same. One difference, apparently is that Jeremiah often has a scattered repeat of blooms in the fall..my Banshee has never repeated....I wish she would!

Comments (12)

• kaylah
    13 years ago

High Country Roses say that on their website. It's all part of the mystery of Fairmount Cemetery roses in Denver. There are dozens of variations of Banshee types there. I have a rose, Hallie's Rose, which I got from my brother's neighbor, Hallie Nesbith, in Laurel, Montana. The best ID I've found is High Country Banshee, which High Country Roses got from the cemetery. I sent off for one last fall, and the leaves are the same. We'll have to wait on the rest.
    People describe these Banshee types to be as much as 15 feet tall. Here, Hallie's Rose is ten feet tall.
    My brother said Hallie had quite a few antique roses, pass-alongs from relatives. When she died, her kids sold the house, and the new owners destroyed the roses.
    There are Nesbiths in that cemetery, so there's a possibility my rose went to Denver. And some others.
    I've never seen my rose elsewhere in Montana, or anything like it. I've tried all kinds of antique roses, and only Harison's Yellow and Therese Bugnet have equal cane hardiness.
    It seems to me Banshee is not an 'it', but a 'them'. And somewhere back in time, somebody did some cross-breeding, or maybe it cross-bred itself.
    Hallie's Rose has damask leaves like Quatre Saison Damask, but I cut QSD down to the ground and start it over every year. Complete cane loss, but it grows right back and blooms all summer.
    Here's a blog from a man who went to Denver to study the Fairmount roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairmount

• kaylah
    13 years ago

If you compare Hallie's Rose to pictures of Banshee on HMF, they really don't look the same. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallie's Rose

• melva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The rose I have, only gets 5 feet tall...it had formed a thicket due to it suckering so it was 8 feet wide..then a friend pruned it harshly, at the wrong time and it has not recovered yet.
    Your picture looks quite different from my Banshee.

Here is a link that might be useful: banshee

• kaylah
    13 years ago

I wish HR could go to one of those gene studies. I've tried rosa centifolia-big cane loss. Konigen von Danemark does better. The canes look like the bottoms of rosa setigera types-but don't have the loopy vines. They're thick and strong like rosa eglanteria, but eglanteria looses canes like mad. It doesn't matter though, as eglanteria is a vicious spreader.
    There's quite an interesting article on Banshee on Paul Barden's website but you have to open up the articles til you find it. It's in 2003-2004, I think.

• User
    13 years ago

Melva,
    The rose photo you provided a link to is definitely not the 'Banshee' widely recognized under that name. The one most easily identified feature of 'Banshee' is the acorn shaped receptacle. Your rose doesn't have that, nor does it have the light green semi-glossy foliage of 'Banshee'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banshee article by Leonie Bell

• kaylah
    13 years ago

Let's see-- what of the characteristics of Banshee does my rose have? Fall color, same leaves. Don't know about the buds. It hasn't leafed out yet. I just looked up rosa virginiana. HMF said 5-7 feet. HR's roses never ball, but the last buds turn brown and fall off.
    Best scent of all? Yes.
    One time Jon of Wessex showed a picture of Rose d'Amour in his garden, and what struck me was the height, just like Hallie's Rose. It is hardy to zone 2.
    Here's some info about Rose d'Amour. You'll see the turnip buds in the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose d'Amour

• kaylah
    13 years ago

Here's a picture of High Country Banshee and Jeremiah Pink on High Country Rose's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Roses

• melva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paul, it does have the acorn-like receptacle and the foliage is green/blue....you IDed it for me a few years ago....

• melva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:280342}}

• User
    13 years ago

My apologies, Melva. The photo on HMF doesn't clearly show that trait. The photo you have just posted does appear to be what is widely recognized as 'Banshee'.

• melva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No problem, Paul...