Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Tell me about Charlotte

joshtx
10 years ago

Whilst I cringe to take up board space here in the Antique forum talking about an Austin, I do need a little advice. I have a small Charlotte that is not growing quite as well as my other Austins that are around the same size. Since coming home it has sent out one bud, and one new growth.

I was wondering if anyone has grown Charlotte and learned her particular needs in order to flourish? For example, Pat Austin only likes a few hours of sunlight before she wants to retire to the shade. Once I put her in such a spot she took off with growth. Does Charlotte have any specific needs like this? She is currently in a prime spot with nearly a full day of sun, only being shaded in the most searing of afternoon heats. She gets watered well, and there is no disease nor pest assailing her. It may be she sleep, creeps, leaps like some Austins do, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thank you!

Josh

Comments (7)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

When did you plant Charlotte? If this spring, then she is probably just going through the sleep, creep, and leap cycles, as you mentioned.

I've never heard anyone complain that Charlotte lacks vigor or is wimpish. so I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as she gets her water rationing. : )

Kate

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I just planted a Charlotte this spring. She is much smaller than other Austins I just planted also, such as Fighting Temeraire, Darcey Bussell, Lady of Shallot in the same bed. She doesnt seem to be putting out alot of new growth - just sitting there. Her leaves are healthy so havent worried much about her - figured she was just taking some time to get going. Wonder if I should give her a bit of fertilizer to start some growth?

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

She is smaller than a lot of Austins. She will take time to grow and won't throw up those big thick canes as often as others. Worth the wait though. Don't try to push with extra fertiliser, simply do what you do with your others. Just as an aside, I hate it when people feel they can't post things. The forum rules say post about Austins in Antique Roses, if members don't like it they just won't reply to your posts :-)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

And I promise to answer your Austin questions (if I can), regardless of which forum you post in--OK? : )

Many rose gardeners do not fertilize their new roses for the first year they exist in the garden. But if you feel you just have to fertilize, then wait until AFTER the rose has put forth strong, unmistakable new growth--then you can lightly fertilize. Most what the rose is doing during the first year when it "sleeps" is growing and developing roots. Fertilizer will divert the plant's energy into blooming rather than root-making. You want roots, not blooms, the first year.

Kate

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Kate, by fertilizer, I was thinking of half strength fish emulsion or Mills Magic Rose Mix - something organic. Should I just forego anything? And what about roses I have planted this year, both bareroot and potted, that have bloomed and made alot of new growth. Should I give them anything? I have horses so have lots of well rotted compost - could put a bit of that around them - or not?? I generally err on less fertilizing for new plants, been afraid to do it. Thanks!
    Judith

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, there she blows! Just checked Charlotte today and what do you know, she's throwing out new growth like a champ.

It may have something to do with me muttering, "I swear if you don't grow I will shovel prune you so fast next year..." as I passed by her yesterday. Seems she took the threat seriously!

• Mountie
    9 years ago

JoshTx,
    How did your Charlotte rose do this year?