Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sow_what

Claire: Getting So Much Better All The Time

She used to hang down, facing the ground . . .

Comments (11)

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

. . . but now she holds her head up high.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Getting so much better all the time. Claire Austin.

Original Author
    9 years ago

What's not getting better is my ability to post photos on GardenWeb. I size my photos an appropriate size for posting: crisp and clean and small enough to fit on the page without scrolling. Then GardenWeb resizes my photos, sometimes HUGE. They are then ugly, out of focus, and look like an egomaniac's work, hogging up so much space. So before hitting the "submit post" button, I resize the photo smaller. And the really crazy thing is, the smaller I resize the photo, the BIGGER GardenWeb blows it up. I tried to post some older photos of sheds in response to a request, and GardenWeb blew those up so big you could barely make out the image for the fuzziness. I apologize for the rant -- I've contacted GardenWeb, and hopefully an answer will come soon.

jannike

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

absolutely beautiful! thanks for sharing ;-)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I have the same photo posting issues. No worries. Keep sharing!
    Susan

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

I like your allium with Claire.

What's happening to your photos is the width resizing gardenweb does. You'll notice every pic displays at the same width. It is 640 pixels wide whether your photo was 390p wide or 1040p wide (my edit program gives width by height, as in 640 x 502). So I am cropping, then resizing at 640p wide. Then I sharpen. Maybe this is contributing to the drop off of participation at the rose gallery? Same thing at the iris forum. Sure deteriorates some photos.

If you open an account at a photo hosting site (free ones available) and paste the html code of your uploaded photo, your picture will still be resized by gardenweb. But if someone right clicks it and downloads it, they will see the full size.

Hope this helps.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Your Clair Austin is beautiful! How old is she ? I planted Evelyn and Golden celebration this year and they both nod so your Clair gives me hope they will eventually stand up straigh too. Is she fragrant?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so very much, iris_gal; your explanation of Garden Web's resizing makes it clear what's happening.

Boncrow, we started our rose adventures here at about the same time, and I've been following your journey with interest and well-wishes -- thanks for all your posts! Claire Austin does have a nice fragrance, and is a lovely, lovely rose for me. It's new and still very small, yet it always has a couple dozen cupped blooms. The blooms are heavy with petals, and early on most would eventually nod. Now the majority arch gracefully while remaining upright. The nodding is actually quite beautiful when the roses are positioned high, for example on a pillar, trellis, or arbor.

jannike

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Sow_what that gives me hope for my Evelyn and GC although I have noticed they too are getting much stronger as they grow. I don't mind the nodding, I just don't care for the blooms in the dirt but I am learning and have tied up or staked the canes that need a little extra support and they seem happy which makes me happy. I also enjoy your posts about your garden and love seeing pics. I'm glad to have found this forum and to have "met" so many new people who love roses ad give great advice. I think I also may have to add Claire Austin to my list, she sounds like she would be a great addition to my garden next spring.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Boncrow, all three roses (Claire, GC, Evelyn) are listed as climbers, and I like to take advantage of the flexible canes by wrapping them on something so they can climb.

For the short time I've had her, Claire has been a nonstop bloomer, and I find her shallow petal-stuffed cups to be quite lovely. Some people complain that the blooms shatter. For me, some shatter at the slightest rustling; others last on the bush for quite a while. But there are always so many, the shattered ones are not missed. That said, if you want a rose strictly for the vase, or can't tolerate some shattering, you might consider a different rose. For me, the negatives are far outweighed by the tremendous beauty this rose delivers every day.

jannike

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

It is a very beautiful rose, thank you for sharing your pictures. I have already added Claire to my wish list.