Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dis. resist? Clio, La Noblesse, TdlE, Mt.Hood

Posted by WicksFan 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:34

Hi to all,

I have had roses for some years but want some new ones.

Am having trouble finding info. on how healthy these are:

Clio (the pink HP)
La Noblesse
Triomphe de l'Exposition
Mt. Hood

Would especially welcome the experience of folks in similar climate: sunny, hot, dry, sometimes windy. Also maybe clay soil.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dis. resist? Clio, La Noblesse, TdlE, Mt.Hood

I am not familiar with these. Have you checked them out at helpmefind.com ? Particularly the Members Comments section?

Kate

o

If you're in Zone 10, the odds are you probably won't be able to grow La Noblesse. I had a wish list not too long ago of Centifolias, Gallicas, Damasks, and HPs, but it turns out on the whole those classes either can't succeed in this zone because of the lack of chill hours (in the case of Gallicas, Damasks, and Centifolias) or rust/mildew problems (HPs). I didn't realize those classes needed chill hours until members on this forum helped clue me in. I dearly wish I could grow Madame Hardy, but I CAN grow Teas, Chinas, and other tender classes that aren't possible to grow in many less temperate zones.

The HPs -which are beautiful- that you are looking for are probably no longer available commercially in the US after the recent closing of Vintage. I don't know if Pickering or Hortico has them on Multiflora in Canada, but unless you're in a place with extended frosts, Multiflora probably isn't the best understock you could use. Some HPs are great in Zone 10, but most are not. If you have problems with Mildew, Rust, or Blackspot and don't spray, it may be difficult to raise beautiful HPs, but it's well worth the attempt if you do find a healthy rose.

I don't grow Mt. Hood, but it has a better chance of succeeding in zone 10 than the other varieties listed. You could ask about it in the regular Roses Forum since more people who grow a large variety of/exclusively modern roses traffic there.

Jay

o

Jay and Kate,

Thanks! I was thinking the climate here would be a factor. Rarely dips below freezing and doesn't stay there. Had so much rust and BS on my Gallicas I had to give them up.

It's becoming clear that the reason not much info. is available (even on HMF) is that they are too rarely sold.

I realize I mixed Mt. Hood into the wrong group - just trying to cut corners! Will ask other forum.

Mara

o

I have 'La Noblesse' and am not overwhelmed by it. It is a very lanky bush--which I don't object to--that looks like it might do well as a small climber, has standard pink flowers, and is rather more disease-prone that the average rose in my garden. I don't actively dislike it, but I wouldn't buy it again if I lost it. It has a hybridized look to it with its smooth growth. Come to think of it, who knows whether my rose is correctly named? I just took a look at HMF and the rose shown in Orsola's and Flor's photos is definitely darker than mine. My rose doesn't particularly resemble the type Centifolia either, but then I think a number of roses got tossed into this class just because they didn't fit in anywhere (think 'Fantin-Latour' and 'Robert le Diable'). My rose came from Schultheis in Germany, I believe. I live in a mild four season climate with hot dry summers and garden on clay soil. My rose is vigorous here.
I hope this helps.
Melissa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here