Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Your MOST Perfect Rose

Of course we all know by now that there is no perfect rose, but I suspect many of us do have a rose that stands out by virtue of its beauty, fragrance, health and just overall wonderfulness. Many of you will say it's never just one rose, and I agree since different roses are splendid at different times. However, when I walked through the garden this morning I realized that over a long period now there was one particular rose that never failed to bloom, had gorgeous and fragrant flowers, grew steadily with and without fertilizer and had very little disease. That rose is Souvenir de la Malmaison. I was reluctant to even buy this rose and was fairly lukewarm about it as it was getting established, but it is now one of the most reliable and steadfast ornaments of the garden, and which I now would never want to be without.

I'd love to hear if there is such a rose in your garden and why it's your best rose. I decided that we should be allowed two runners-up, and in my case that would be Le Vesuve and Belinda's Dream. Mrs. Dudley Cross would have been a contender except for her issues with mildew this spring, and Aunt Margy's Rose would be another one for its wealth of bloom and completely clean foliage, but we have to draw the line somewhere and two other roses are going to be the limit. I can't wait to find out what everyone's choices will be.

Ingrid

Comments (75)

• altorama Ray
    11 years ago

The best performing rose in my garden is Mary Rose, maybe the most perfect rose in the garden, but, it's not my favorite.
    Nymphe Egeria would beat it if it bloomed as much as Mary Rose-but Mary Rose is a few years older so maybe things will change.

• random_harvest
    11 years ago

I have and love Belinda's Dream but have to admit that sometimes the edges of her petals crisp. My most perfect rose is Martha Gonzales. Perfect plant -- dark green, dense foliage; perfect flower -- sassy gold stamen surrounded by petals of bright, clear red with an occasional white racing stripe; and almost always in bloom year-round, even in blazing Texas summers. Cuttings are easy and she can be kept to just about any size with hedge clippers.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Well, the ones that jump out to me are the ones that have a nice growth habit, disease and insect resistant, and blooms that are just outstanding! There's 4 that are real standouts...

R Rugosa Alba
    Boule de Neige
    Belinda's Dream
    Jeremiah Pink (which is thought to be the same rose as Banshee)

Tammy

• barbarag_happy
    11 years ago

Today I'd have to say-- to my surprise-- an Austin rose, Tamora. Last season in a pot and this season in the ground, she is always covered with pretty pale apricot blooms. Tamora is a nice small rounded shrub and blooms are nicely distributed all over.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    11 years ago

It's difficult to pick just one.. I would have to say my top performer is souvenir de la malmaison, closely followed by mutabilis, manchester guardian angel and pleasant hill cemetary.

• mmmgonzo
    11 years ago

My favorites change daily- However I REALLY love Star of the Nile this week.

I also love the Teas-
    Marie Van Houtte is gorgeous here

New found loves this year:
    Marianne
    Phyllis Bide is glorious this year

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

After seeing Stainless Steel 2 years ago (at a nursery where every rose was covered with BS and PM) with one single unbelievable bloom, I had searched every nursery within driving distance to find another, with no success. So this winter I ordered it bareroot from S&W Greenhouse. From Feb to now it has been growing quietly, putting out a few small unimpressive blooms here and there. But yesterday morning I was blessed with what I had seen 2 years ago, and hope to enjoy for years to come.

It is hard when every rose is beautiful, and so many have amazing fragrances to pick out "one". But I cut this bloom (couldn't help myself), held it in my hand and sniffed and ooo'd and ahhh'd for my 1 hour morning commute, then stared at it all day in a vase at my desk at work.

Excuse me for being so verbose about a single bloom. It is large bloomed (approx 5"), perfect HT shape (yes I know I'm in the antiques area), ghostly greyish, whitish, lavendarish - with a minority of pedals a little darker lavendarish at the eges, and a perfect, tantalizing fragrance - not so strong like Chrysler Imperial or Double Delight, but strong enough, and intoxicating.

After all that pining, it looks like she will be everything I hoped for.

• cramoisi
    11 years ago

Ingrid,

I wonder if you have seen Comtesse de Rocquiny, another light pink Bourbon, which actually looks like Souvenir de la Malmaison to me. Once thought to be extinct, it is a gorgeous rose; I love it for its beautiful form and for its scent too, which might not quite rival RdlM. I was lucky enough to get it from GM, but VG should have it too.

Best,

Larry

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry, I haven't seen Comtesse de Rocquigny, although I have heard the name, but I've just looked it up on HMF and it really is very similar to SdlM. Since I already have two of SdlM I doubt that I would order it, assuming I could even find it right now. I must say though that the small Bourbons fascinate me and I'm happy to say that I have five varieties totaling eight roses. Mme. Dore is also quite beautiful, although rather diminutive, which doesn't bother me since it still likes to bloom. Leveson-Gower is also a favorite, with a much darker pink color.

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I'm going out on limb and pick a relatively new rose in my garden--Austin's Lady of Shalott. It's only been growing here for a couple months, but so far it comes closest to perfect of any of my roses. If my computer weren't broken (I'm using my son's old laptop), I'd show a picture of her lovely blooms--apricot/golden with a touch of yellow/buff/pink. Wonderful shades and shape. And for a bush only a couple months old, it puts out an amazing number of blooms and reblooms. The bush is about 3 ft tall now and filling out nicely--a good-looking bush, in other words, even without the blooms, and it will be bigger and fuller with maturity. And talk about health--wonderful. It is quite vigorous and has been completely disease-free since it got here.

I just can't say enough good things about this rose. The only thing I have never checked is its fragrance--must do that today when I make my rounds.

The next few weeks will be the real test for any rose growing in Kansas. Temps will be over 100 for at least the next 2 weeks. So far Lady of Shalott hasn't even exhibited a slight shrivel--whereas some of my other roses are totally burnt up by nightfall. But even the best rose can stand only so many weeks of unbearable heat, so we'll see how she stands up in the long run to this challenge!

Last year, Mystic Beauty was my favorite (she is identical or nearly identical to Souvenir de la Malmaisson). I guess I could give her runner-up position this year -- she isn't doing that well in this intense heat (neither am I!) and her new blooms are ruined by evening, but you have to give her credit for determination. Every morning she just pumps out more blooms! Amazing! And of course they are exquisitely delicate pastel pink/white.

Not sure who else deserves runner-up, but maybe I should nominate Double Delight since I always say I can't imagine any garden without a Double Delight. However, I'm very impressed right now with another new rose, only a couple months old: Red Intuition. That thing will not quit re-blooming, and the striped dark red on red is so unique and attention-getting. Health seems good so far. I predict a good future for this rose.

Kate

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I make my buy-list in advance for 2014 ... Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited informed me that it's best for order early, Austins & Romanticas are sold out fast. She bills in January for 2014 orders.

Great thread, Ingrid, ...Belinda's Dream is most mentioned, then SDLM. I agree with Melissa in Italy that Comte de Chambord has an unmatched scent, I want a second one, but Burlington Roses was sold out.

Other roses people mentioned: Le Vesuve Mme. Antoine Mari, Jean Bach Sisley, Charles Lefebvre, Mme Abel Chatenay, Chloris (thornless), Gruss an Teplitz (I love this scent too!), Clementina Carbonieri, Comtess de Caya, Comtesse de Rocquiny, Duchess de Montebello (thornless), Seil's Pinocchio & Golden Cel., Nacogdoches (yellow). Camp's R.MOYESII, Harmonyp's Stainless Steel, Alchemyst, L. of Shallot., Mystic Beauty, Evelyn, Marie Bugnet, Belle Amour and Excellenz von Shubert (great scent & thornless), Lyda rose (partial shade), 'Anna Olivier', 'Mme. Antoine Mari', floribunda Bambi, Wolley Dod, Camp's favorite AYRESHIRE SPLENDENS, Harison's Yellow, Yolande D'Aragon, for her scent, and Miss Edith Cavell (also Burling's fav.), MUTABILIS, Don Juan, Aloha, Jaqcues Cartier, Martha Gonzales, R Rugosa Alba and Boule de Neige (Tammy's), Tamora, Star of the Nile, Marie Van Houtte, Marianne, Phyllis Bide, Mme. Dore (very small), Double Delight (great at rose park zone 5a, too young to tell in my garden).

Most perfect roses in my zone 5a: Annie L. McDowell (always clean), Firefighter (almost thornless), Bolero, Golden Celebration, Francis Blaise, Evelyn, Sweet Promise (almost thornless). I like Comte de Chambord's scent the most, but it's weak grower.

I found a great link for roses in CA, Jeri Jennings contributed to the list of Fragrant Roses for Santa Barbara. Below is Firefighter, after the deer ate some of the leaves. We successfully blocked the deer with posts and strings at the entrance to the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Most Fragrant Roses by Santa Barbara Rose Society

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 10:29

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Kim Rupert (Roseseek)'s rose Annie L. McDowell get my vote as very thornless, always clean and heavy bloomer ... it likes it wet, prefers slightly acidic soil and water. I put vinegar to bring down my alkaline tap water, pH 8.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 10:43

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Here are the most perfect roses as blooms only in my zone 5a garden, but imperfect as bushes: Radio Times (pink) gives perfect bloom (sweet damask), but the bush is very thorny.

Golden Celebration gives perfect yellow blooms (YUM scent), but it wants to climb,

Crown P. Magareta (orange) wants to crawl all over .. it was stingy in its 1st year, but color deepens the 2nd year, and blooms lots now, scent is just as nice as Golden Cel.

Paul Neyron (deep pink) is clean in my alkaline soil, but too young to tell bush-wise.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 11:03

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

strawberryhill,

Kim Rupert (Roseseek)'s rose Annie L. McDowell is just beautiful. On my computer, the color reads like a soft pink with a lilac tinge. Is this correct?

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi desertgarden561: Yes, Annie becomes more lavender/lilac when I give it horse manure, see below.

Someone reported Annie balling in the rain, but I put gypsum (calcium sulfate), and zero problems ever since. Annie will always be small in my zone 5a, it's perfect for the pot ... but I planted it DEEP in the ground, and it survived my winter.

Annie's musk scent is very strong, one bloom can perfume the entire room. Excellenz von Schubert, also healthy and thornless, has a good scent, but not as strong as Annie. Excellenz VS. is a big rose, versus a very small Annie for my zone 5a.

10 years ago

Strawberryhill, thank you for the information :)

Lynn

• Molineux
    10 years ago

I would say BELINDA'S DREAM if only the blooms were more fragrant. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000 certainly stops traffic but the crimson color isn't the rich ruby red I crave, the fragrance is unreliable, and the foliage is black spot prone. SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON if only the petite shrub had a little more umph. REINE DES VIOLETTES if only she wasn't so picky about having the right kind of soil and rebloomed more often. THE PILGRIM is breathtaking but he can be stingy with the flowers during the summer. EVELYN is the most beautiful rose in the world but she is a moody diva. HERITAGE if only her blooms didn't shatter so fast. Same goes for PAT AUSTIN who also nods her blooms so you can't see them. The fragrance and beauty of CLIMBING LA FRANCE will make you gasp but oh is the foliage prone to black spot!

The one rose that has it all is my namesake: MOLINEUX. Yes there are roses with better fragrance or more perfect flower form or healthier foliage (although Molineux is pretty dang resistant if you spay occasionally), but this rose balances beauty, fragrance, health, vigor, useful growth habit, good foliage, and isn't too thorny to boot. AND he is second to none in color: an ever shifting blend of yellows that is dazzling. Practically perfect in every way.

Although a close runner up is MARCHESA BOCCELLA (Jacques Cartier).

Here is a link that might be useful: Molineux at HelpMeFind Roses

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Here in Alabama, with a climate very different than yours, Ingrid, my perfect rose is the same. SDLM blooms almost constantly, little disease, is a beautiful bloom and I love the fragrance. The runner ups? Belinda's Dream and Abe Darby. both of them bloom so much in hot humid weather. Admittedly, Abe's bloom s my favorite, today anyway.
    kay

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Number 1 =White 'Rose of York' for
    -large milky white blossoms, with a spangle of gold stamens in the center that give forth an exquisite though light, perfume.
    - and gorgeous foliage, called by one author "luxerious" the leaves are more blue than green towards the base.
    -and hip-hep-hooray! golden-orange to red flagon shaped hips in the Autumn
    -beautiful roses, gorgeous leaves, well foliaged, low care.
    The perfect rose.
    I showed it to my neighbor Connie after it had bloomed, in summer and she said in impressed amazement "That's a rosebush?!!!" she was familiar only with H.T.s and florries.

Number 1 of remontant roses=Mme. Berkeley' my favorite of the Old Garden Teas, perfect blooms of a combination of pink, salmon and a bit of yellow blended in. Very disease resistant here where conditions favor p.m., over b.s. the dark green foliage is attractive too.
    runner ups
    Marachal Niel, my favorite yellow Tea-Noisette.
    Longest loved: Mlle. Cecille Brunner, It has been grown in my family for 7 decades, my grandmother and mother grew it in Seattle, and now I have the original, spray version and climbing form in my garden near San Francisco.
    Westside Road Cream Tea' favorite remontant white rose, fragrant, floriferous, evergreen-everblooming. I thank Fortuna that Phillip Robinson found this rose in north california and propagated it and brought it into commerce.
    R. odorata for a wild rose is my number one favorite followed by R. californica, R. ayreshire for wild roses,
    I must be the only person in the world who is not a fan of Belindas Dream my neighbor offered me her mature plant and I turned it down for it's overly heavy blooms appear vulgar to me, ( I collect Tea roses for their "exquisite delicacy" of bloom) nice scent though. I apologize beforehand and hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings, by stating my opinion.

Lux

Original Author
    10 years ago

I was surprised and pleased to see this post from over a year ago surface again, with some delightful pictures to boot. I read over what I'd selected as the perfect rose of a year ago, and my choice for best rose hasn't changed. After a rocky start this spring, with major (and ugly) mildew issues, Souvenir de la Malmaison is again my best rose, covered with flowers and buds, now almost completely devoid of mildew, and larger and wider than last year. The runners-up, Belinda and Le Vesuve, unfortunately have not fared well this year, although Le Vesuve is fortunately making a nice comeback after maniacal watering on my part. Rosette Delizy is almost as good as La Malmaison, and perhaps a touch better in that she's been totally disease-free, but the flower color doesn't appeal quite as much as SdlM, therefore putting her in second place. Souvenir du President Carnot, a young rose, although it has breathtaking flowers, can't be fairly judged due to its tender age, but I had to mention it in passing. Therefore, the second runner-up is Aunt Margy's Rose which, although by no means covered with blooms, is putting out lots of new growth and buds, and is completely free of disease, and always has been. Besides, I love her.

Ingrid

• odinthor
    10 years ago

I'd add Floribunda 'Fabergé' to my previous candidates. Coloration, form, abundance, handsome and healthy foliage on a vigorous but compact bush--it has it all. Fragrance is "average" strength rather than "overwhelming"; but that might be a plus for some. One could only wish there were also a climbing sport. It's hard to think how a rose could come closer to overall perfection than does 'Fabergé'.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

These are deep and abiding loves:
    (1) Tuscany Superb
    (2) Echoing Melissa--Comte de Chambord/Madame Boll
    (3) The Prince

All fragrant. The Prince and Comte are VERY fragrant. Tuscany Superb and The Prince are deep, dark, mysterious, velvet purple yummies that my eyes can drink for hours. Comte boasts classic, fluffy old rose pink flowers on a shapely, manageable well-shaped shrub. Charm on a stem. All the above are very disease resistant in my garden.

I know. The Prince is an Austin not an OGR. No disloyalty intended. Also, I don't know why The Prince doesn't blackspot up the whazoo, but knock on wood....

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I learn lots in this thread ... I looked up white "Rose of York", it's hardy to zone 3b ... thanks Lux, for that.

I also look up Odinthor's Faberge floribunda, the breeder Rippetoe grows that in his sandy soil, hot CA climate. I love floribundas bred by Gene Boerner, they like heat, such as his thornless Gene Boerner, but his Faberge has that unique orange/pink color.

Thank you, Carol, for that pic. of Tuscany Superb, nice purple color ... My kid doesn't like purple, that's why I didn't get the Prince. I still regret that!

Another of my favorite is Francis Blaise, in the Guillot Collection. Pat Henry at Roses Unlimited listed Francis Blaise in her "favorite collection". It smells like green apple at first, then great myrrh scent afterwards. Good vase life, stand up to heat, zero diseases, and blooms lots.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 12:13

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I almost didn't respond because I find this sort of question very difficult. I don't like the idea of perfection. I actually prefer things to be imperfect.
    If I was to respond about a rose that has performed wonderfully I would say Ilse Kron Superior. It does so well. It always pleases me.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

It would be difficult for me to pick just one perfect rose---I love my roses for different reasons and at different times ---right now when all the roses are resting my "Super Dorothy is blooming away like crazy--she is new for me--I purchased her because I lost my older sister Dorothy----
    Over the years I've had way too many favorites---where would I start----I've loved ND for many years (we are the same age) and I remember it covering the side of our house---never knew the name until I was much older and visited Longwood Gardens--I often wonder who planted New dawn on our house and how could my parents afford to buy a rose during the depression---
    For the past few years MacCartney rose has been very reliable and the perfume is thrilling
    {{gwi:266919}}

this is Super Dorothy her first year she is now climbing up a weeping cherry
    {{gwi:281154}}

and who could not love Albertine eating the side of our home and perfuming thw whole area
    {{gwi:205633}}

Florence

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lovely pictures, dear Florence. Albertine "eating" your house is sooo romantic!

Ingrid

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Florence: I love your pictures ... I'm sold on the McCartney rose ... how's the thorns on that one. That rose is in Pat Henry's top favorites at Roses Unlimited.

I pre-ordered Peter Mayle for 2004 spring ... but I'm not thrilled about its thorny reputation ... would like to know if the McCartney rose makes good cut flower, and how's its thorns, thanks in advance.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Your garden (and in another post your lace curtained, glass bottled window) is lovely. Like Ingrid, I adore the photo of Alberine rambling over your house. Your home and garden are positively romantic!

Carol

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Strawberry-----Mac cartney makes a great cut flower---it has thorns but not too many----the only complaint I've heard is it's tendancy to spread out but that can be controlled with pruning---I took a cutting a few years ago for my neighbor and her bush is always loaded with blooms ( her yard has more sun) Carol---I'm happy you enjoyed my pictures
    {{gwi:235799}}

A closer look at Albertine
    {{gwi:228850}}

{{gwi:228852}}

Florence

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Thank you for the close-ups of Albertine! Was there ever a a rose more evocative of everything that's sweet?

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Florence, I love your vase of The McCartney rose .. I'll make sure I have the room for it. Your Albertine is WOW! Leaves are so pretty, and the flowers are divine.

I second Diane (Nanadoll) on Evelyn as one of the most perfect roses ... it's constant blooming, rather than just one massive flush, then over. Zero diseases as own-root, very vigorous, and blooms well even with my alkaline hard water, pH 8. Firm petals & good vase life, and bloomed at 100 degrees last summer. Spring flush is long ... I still get cut flowers as of today. Evelyn as big pink bloom below:

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Evelyn is not the diva, Sonia Rykiel is .. but she's perfect for her amazing strong fragrance. Her scent can easily compete with both Comte de Chambord and Evelyn.

Sonia Rykiel was once nominated by Kittymoonbeam as the most perfect rose for alkaline clay ... Sonia is perfect if given rich clay soil, soluble fertilizer, less nitrogen, and plenty of water to make those jammed-pack petals. The bush is pretty, my only complaint is it gives 15+ blooms that bloom at once, then pause a long time.

Sonia Rykiel is a good rose for the pot. It gave over a dozen blooms in a dinky plastic pot as 1st year own root, at high heat above 90 degrees, and watered with very alkaline, hard well water. That's amazing! See the pink rose below:

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 10:13

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Here's a bush-shot of Sonia Rykiel. I put up with its long pause, since the leaves are pretty & smells like raspberry-rose even without blooms. It's planted next to a limestone base cement patio, healthy here in 2nd year.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Strawberryhill I love your bouquet---My GC was great this year--lots of nice blooms with very little care---
    BTW----I picked up that vase at a garage sale-----I have so many vases and rosebowls we almost need to add a room----we are having a yard sale on Sat.---after so many years of collecting my home is out of control---LOL

Florence

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Strawberryhill I love your bouquet---My GC was great this year--lots of nice blooms with very little care---
    BTW----I picked up that vase at a garage sale-----I have so many vases and rosebowls we almost need to add a room----we are having a yard sale on Sat.---after so many years of collecting my home is out of control---LOL

Florence

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Florence: I assume your GC means Golden Celebration? It's my favorite, so is Seil's. I hope to see more of your vases & blooms ...

If Diane (Fogrose) is here, I want to thank her for the info. that she has 4 Excellenz von Schubert, and it's thornless, smells great in partial shade. I love my EVS in 4 hours of sun, with its 2nd flush .. awesome musk and old rose scent.

Below is the best smelling bouquet I picked today: Pink Peace (a favorite with many folks), Excellenz von Schubert (lavender spray), and Golden Celebration. All three have fast repeat.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Excellenz von Schubert also has the most perfect foliage: healthy and pretty ... folks report it as very disease-resistant. I love its thornless stems and shiny leaves.

• User
    10 years ago

I read my list from last year....and as yet, there has been no reason to change my mind - the most wonderful roses on my plot are still the fabulous moyesii and the romantic Ayreshire Splendens. I will never be without this pair of roses - ordering a new moyesii for the woods and risking the move for splendens.
    Honorable mention for R.helenae and Aimee Vibert is sneaking up in my affections given its healthy vigour.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

I love Pink Peace---mine is struggling now---not enough sun and the ivy is taking over---but I remember what a glorious rose--
    Here is my Golden Celebration from a couple of years ago
    {{gwi:281156}}

I think the other one is Abe
    Florence

• lbuzzell
    10 years ago

Thanks for the EVS foliage shot, Strawberryhill. The longer I grow roses, the more I appreciate the beauty of some roses' foliage :)

• User
    10 years ago

Strawberryhill, do you have Sophie's Perpetual? Today I posted a message about it's blooms frying in the heat here.

It is thornless for me--no under the leaf prickles either--and fragrant. Plus, I think it would really like your cooler climate. I don't know if hardiness would be a problem for you since it's only rated down to 7b. You might have to protect it.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Thank you, Belle, for your kind recommendation, Jay_Jay in the Netherlands also recommended Sophie to me from his fav. fragrant collection. I ought to try that since it's sold at Burlington for $11 a band. I have lots of shady places in my garden.

Hi lbuzzell: I'm glad you welcome my posting foliage-pictures. I think it's important. I like thornless Basyes Blueberry, except it has a habit of leaves curling up after the rain ... not pretty.

Thank you, Florence, I enjoy your vase and blooms very much ... your blooms are big with pretty ruffles, you have very good soil. I saw Ab. Darby at the rose park with small & faded blooms ... that's why I didn't get him

Here are the perfect roses for summer heat, which bloomed at above 90 degrees, very disease resistant, thick petals, long vase life: Honey Bouquet is a yellow that doesn't fade. I like it more than Golden Cel. and Julia Child, both for bloom-beauty and bush-beauty.

Purple is Deep Purple, a Kordes rose, very disease-resistant, bloomed at 100 degrees last summer. Pink is Francis Blaise, good at any weather: be it wet or dry heat.

Original Author
    10 years ago

It's strange that Duchesse de Brabant, which I tried twice, dried up in the sun, and Lavender Mist (Blue Mist) is threatening to do the same, even though these roses do well for others. A lot of my bands have stopped not only blooming but putting out any new growth at all, which is a little worrisome. I hope we get a break in the hot weather soon.

Ingrid

10 years ago

strawberryhill,

I am hooked on the Kim Rupert (Roseseek)'s rose Annie L. McDowell! I researched it and I want one, the problem is finding it. Do you have any suggestions as to a source for purchasing Annie L McDowell?

Lynn

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Hmmm, if all of my roses had to go except one . . .

VERY tough decision, but I think I would keep my container-grown 'Devoniensis'.

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn: Burlington roses in Southern CA has Annie L. McDowell and many Old Garden Roses like Excellenz von Schubert ... which I like just as much as Annie. She has 380+ big roses for $11 per band, and 160+ mini-roses for $7.50 per band. The shipping to my Chicagoland was cheap: $20 for 14 roses last year, but the postage went up this year.

She has a big selection of Old Garden Roses that smell great, like Comte de Chambord. She has 2 Austins: Benjamin Britten and Ab. Darby. She has many lavender (Veichenblau) and thornless roses (Pink gruss, Gruss, Marie Pavie & Daly). Burling is honest and gives prompt service. She will email you the list of roses she has if you request at: BurlingtonRoses@aol.com

It's best to order in advance, the popular ones are sold out fast. I really miss thornless mini-rose Norwich Sweetheart (smells wonderful !!), Sweet Arlene (thornless), Comte de Chambord, Rose du Roi, La Reine, and Louis Odier were all sold out by Christmas. There's already a long waiting list for Annie from last year, so the sooner you order, the better your chance.

If you ask her the types you want, she will recommend for you. I asked her for the most-blooming polyantha in her nursery, she gave me the list. Any questions you ask, she will answer promptly ... Burling is a very knowledgeable rosarian.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 22:33

• dutch88
    10 years ago

This is a difficult one for me as I have quite a few that I love. Pat Austin, Teasing Georgia, Jude and Crown Princess Margareta. I also love Evelyn, Claire Austin and Windemere. But the most consistent performer for me is Happy Child, still going strong in the middle of winter.
    Happy Child is a lovely colour, healthy, lots of buds, good repeat, tea fragrance, with the bonus of lime green glossy leaves. What more could you ask for?

• jjstatz
    10 years ago

Out of roses I have...

Abraham Darby, own-root. It's in a perfect protected spot and I apparently amended the soil just right, because it exploded its first year (the fish emulsion and neem oil sprays probably didn't hurt either). He's so perfect overlooking the dahlia bed I put in around him. Sure, the blooms are a tad short lived, but I think their extra-ephemeral nature makes them all the better.

My new favorite coming this year:
    Jude the obscure, I know ... I know... it's going to probably be an uphill battle, but I'm twice as stubborn as it may or may not be.

• rinaldo
    10 years ago

It would be impossible for me to select the most perfect rose, but the one that moves me the most is probably Fortune's Double Yellow since it is the first rose to bloom for me each spring, so rich and overwhelming climbing high into a cluster of old dogwoods. It's a great overture to the new rose season.

• User
    10 years ago

Louise Odier for me. It is love at first sight and the one that literally quickened my heart and took my breath away. I found the arching cane, heady fragrance, the tightly packed petals and unabashedly pink coloration all incredibly alluring... No rose has given me such sensation since that rainy Spring morning when my Louise Odier was at its full glory....

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County